Quantcast

Outlook keeps prompting me to update my browser

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by steele762, Dec 20, 2013.

1. steele762

steele762 New Member

Each day, outlook tries to tell me that I need to update my browser in order to utilize all of it's features. Anyone else have this problem?

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Go to Chrome Setting>Advance Settings>Under The Hood>Custom User Agent.

Enter: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_8_2) AppleWebKit/537.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/24.0.1309.0 Safari/537.17

Click OK

Restart unit.

Some one else may be able to help ya further if you encounter a problem as I'm doing this from memory. My HDTV fell and shattered and I'm now using an old monitor that doesn't have HDMI inputs, so I cannot access my GS-7. But the User Agent feature is pretty simple.

Carl

3. steele762

steele762 New Member

Carl, thanks for trying to help, but after the restart, nothing has changed. I've had this problem since I bought the co-star several months ago. According to the co-star, I do have the newest version of chrome. If you can think of anything else, please let me know.
    Tom

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

You have the latest and last version of Chrome that the GTV devices on the Honeycomb OS have - which unfortunately is a very outdated version of Chrome 11. There is a slight chance that the Vizio Co-Star will receive the Jellybean update in the future - if it does then you will have an up-to-date version of Chrome. (There's no way to update Chrome on your own - it must come from Google/Vizio as part of an OS update).

Try this user agent (see below) instead of the one that Carl provided and see if it works. Copy and paste it exactly as it is into the box for your custom user agent string and then click "OK". (In the past I recall reading that this user agent string worked for several GTV users with Outlook).

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/32.0.1667.0 Safari/537.36

If the user string from above doesn't work then you can try the mobile version of the outlook.com web site. Here's the link:

http://m.mail.live.com.

If the mobile version doesn't work for you - then try changing the GTV user agent to "android".

Also Outlook has a mobile app for android - you could try sideloading that and see if it works with your Co-Star.

If all else fails you can also try sideloading the Dolphin browser and see if that works.

Here is another browser that you can try (Maxthon). Download and install the android version:

http://www.maxthon.com/

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Oh man!

I hope when I get my new HDTV next month, my GS-7 hasn't gotten so much worse that I have to find another way around the stupid error msgs that the User Agent String avoided. I'm doing so well on my computer I just might toss the GS-7 in the trash. I just don't have the patience to molly coddle a GTV device when I have full access to anything I want via my computer.

Win 8 is horrible, but when it works it is all inclusive. GTV is not.

Who'd a thunk it...

Carl

6. steele762

steele762 New Member

Dear CatfishRivers, I have no idea where you came up with that crazy "user agent string", but not only did it solve my outlook problem, a couple of other annoying problems are gone also. Thanks so much.

7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

You're welcome. In the future you can get the latest Chrome user agent strings here:

UserAgentString.com - List of Chrome User Agent Strings

Keep in mind that you're still actually using the Chrome 11 browser - it just identifies itself as the up-to-date Chrome 32. So eventually certain aspects of the web sites might not work. But I'm glad that it helped you now.

8. Lbb

Lbb New Member

I get the same prompt, but it's not a major problem because you just have to click on "Continue to your inbox." ("you can still continue to your inbox. However, Skype calling, chatting in Messenger, and instant actions might not work properly.") So I've been procrastinating looking up that user agent -- thanks for (re?)-posting it -- maybe it will help with some real problems! (Such as trying to compose a post in this forum!)

9. steve_webbie

steve_webbie New Member

WOW! I installed the most current Chrome user agent about an hour ago. I can now access USAToday.com and the full version of Yahoo. Also several web sites that I shop at that had given me the "old browser" notice no longer displayed the message.

Hulu Plus still sniffs me as using Google TV. There still are the aw snap! messages at You Tube. And Facebook comments posted on (at least some) outside sites are still too tiny to read.

Well worth the effort.

10. Lbb

Lbb New Member

Somehow, this also seems to have fixed the display problem with the (recently redesigned) Yahoo Groups (incredibly minuscule type etc. etc.). Although now the homepage picture won't load. But basically it's now become legible! (But my amazon.com cart is still in tiny type that can't be enlarged)