Quantcast

OTA Coax Input / Output with Co-Star

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by mgm1979, Oct 24, 2012.

1. mgm1979

mgm1979 New Member

Officially gave satellite the boot, and running subscriptions of Hulu+, Netflix, and Amazon Prime to cover the majority of our TV needs...now I'm trying to figure out how to connect the OTA Antenna line into my setup so that I can still run the Co-Star + LiveTV at the same time.

I've tried every configuration I can think of, but I always circle back to the same issue...no way to convert the Coax signal into an HDMI output...is there a trick I'm missing?

2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

You can get help here http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/vizio-co-star/6021-cable-cord-cutting-help.html ....

3. mgm1979

mgm1979 New Member

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The following thread mentions that a device called: "KWorld External ATSC/Qam TV Box HDMI Edition (model# Sa295-Q DE) works with GTV:

Using Coax, OTA HD With Revue. - Logitech Forums

• Like Like x 2
  5. mgm1979

mgm1979 New Member

oh, that's brilliant! I'm not sure how I missed that in all my googling the last week, or so...I guess I was limiting my results by including co-star, maybe.

Now I've got a decision to make - since this thing is almost $100, do I just splurge for the Tivo and gain DVR capability? I guess I'll read up some more on the whole Tivo solution.

Thanks!

6. cpaulg

cpaulg New Member

I'm not sure if this would work, or if the equipment even exists, but is there such a thing as a Blu Ray player with a tuner that has a coaxial input? Or how about an upscaling DVD player with a tuner and coaxial input. I think that would work as well as a Tivo, and be less expensive, since they both have HDMI outputs.

7. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

Not sure if they have hdmi a output, but what about those digital ota boxes that came out when the ota signal switched from analog to digital?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

8. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I have been watching this thread, huh, you guys got me thinking about getting a Tivo Premiere box to and integrated it with the Co-Star .... This sounds good to me, a Comcast killer, just what I looking for too ....(lol)

9. vedder012

vedder012 New Member

What happened to your boxee TV idea?

10. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Google TV with TiVo is central to my cord cutting solution. I don't know I would call it a Comcast killer, Comcast Xfinity service was very good here the three years we had it but the Google TV/TiVo combination provides a lot of viewing options and is good enough that I don't miss cable much. We had both DirecTV and Comcast for a couple of years since I had a DirecTV commitment and we had an adult child living with us that wanted Comcast. My contract was fulfilled, we lived with Comcast for a period, the child moved out, we dropped Comcast in the fall of 2009 and my cord cutting solution evolved into what it is now. I haven't seen a DVR for OTA than is anything more than a joke compared to TiVo, Windows Media Center is a distant second and the others don't even come close to WMC. Still a good digital cable package or satellite TV package with a DVR is simpler and better in my opinion if you aren't adverse to the cost.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I had to abandon the Boxee TV ideal because it gets to hot, my friend sent his Boxee TV back ... All I need is the majors networks, plus Google TV via the Co-Star, that will be my Comcast killer package ... Plus my Slingbox will also work with the Tivo Premiere ...!(lol)

12. plac

plac New Member

I don't like the idea of having to buy Co-Star and Tuner/DVR for every television.
    Just wait until the LAN Network models come out, where one setup will serve the entire house.

13. plac

plac New Member

PS:
    Silicondust's HDHomerun broadcasts OTA (Air TV) + Cable/Satellite TV across your entire Lan network; where all computers and SmartTVs can tune-in to it. From there, PNP (picture in a picture) would be just a simple android app (may already exist).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013