Quantcast

OTA channels on Sony Google Tv NSX 40GTI

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by Googletvnono, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Googletvnono

Googletvnono New Member

I am trying to get the OTA channels but to no avail.

I have limited basic cable (comcast) with coaxial cable connect to it. On my other non google tv, i set it up to antenna and it would give me all the OTA channels including free HD like 4-1, 5-1, 25-1 for fox HD.

On the sony google tv, when i set it up to antennae it would give the the same comcast limited basic channel as if I set it up to cable. How do I change this. I would like to watch 4-1, 5-1 etc. in this case 4.1, 5.1, 25.1 because i think there is any dashes! Please help. These OTA channels would be nice.

2. dharris9311

dharris9311 Member

Look in the settings (Video input - Built in tuner settings - Channels) menu, you should see a setting called "add digital channels". click that one and (hopefully) that should take care of it.

3. Googletvnono

Googletvnono New Member

I tried that but does not read any channels - built in tuner, search for digital channels. The antenna option works but does not read any OTA channels. What it read is the same cable channels as if It was set on cable. The only difference is that it goes up to channel 13 and the limited basic cable (cable) goes up to 20. OTA Fox is supposed to be on 25 and the cable Fox is on 13. When it is set to antenna fox is still on 13 instead of 25. The antenna option does not read the OTA at all. My other TV works fine on antenna. It shows me all the free HD channel on 4-1, 5-1, 7-1, 25-1 for Fox HD. Any clue?

4. BobinVA

BobinVA Member

Googletvnono,

DHarris (#3) makes good points.

I'm assuming that you want the best of both worlds. Cable/satellite plus OTA channels.

I have Dish Network and if I want OTA I have to 1st screw an antenna's coaxial onto the back of my Sony 24" Google TV,where it has
    a plug labeled "cable/antenna". Dish Network is not using that particular plug for reasons unknown to me.

If your cable/satellite service is already using the "cable/antenna" plug,DHarris's advice will not give you OTA unless you 1st disconnect from your service.

5. Googletvnono

Googletvnono New Member

hello Bobin

This works on my other TVs, Vizio, samsung, etc except for the sony google tv - Setting it to antenna does not give you OTA channels. The other TVs work fine. I wonder if there is some sort of glitch that is preventing it from working. Any body try this?

6. dharris9311

dharris9311 Member

Quick question, are you using a cable box or,is the cable wire connected directly to your Sony?

7. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Turn the box off when doing your OTA channel scan, as I have my dish box set up with OTA antenna and make sure the antenna is plugged in to the appropriate antenna place on your box. If you have no antenna plugged in to the box that is probably why it is defaulting to a QAM type setup.

8. Googletvnono

Googletvnono New Member

Hello section

I have solve the problem
    I just ran an automatic channel scan under the cable antenna. It took almost an hour but it scan every free digital channel. Before, I was scanning halfway thinking that there were no more channels to scan. The free digital channels did not start scanning until the middle part of the scanning process. This made me think there were no more channels to scan and I would stop it before it completes. Now I have all the free HD channels - 4.1, 5.1, 25.1 etc. Sweets. Thanks for everybody's help.

There is no cable box
    The cable wire is directly connected to the tv
    video input -channel configure device, built in tuner - edit channel lineup - i choose my zip code and Comcast
    do you see channel 31 - yes - even though i dont
    do you get cnn, etc - yes - even though i dont
    do you get hbo, etc - yes - even though i dont

back to video input -built in tuner - channels - change cable/antenna to cable - auto program - and start scanning
    make sure it is completely scan - it might take a while for the digital channels to start showing up but it will

When it is done you should get all the free HD goodies

Note: I have limited basic cable which is the lowest service
    It came with my internet package

since connecting the DTA to the TV gives me the same exact channels and even less than OTA - i figured why connect the DTA when I can get the same thing but in HD for free by connecting the cable wire straight to the tv.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012