Quantcast

Options for Playing Hi-Res FLAC on GTV or Plex

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by webfeatworks, Apr 6, 2013.

1. webfeatworks

webfeatworks New Member

I'm using the Sony NSZ-GS7 ... would love the ability to play my hi-res FLAC files directly from my NAS via GTV, PLEX or any player... is there a player which can handle these?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

As far as I know the NSZ-GS7 supports FLAC. The ViMu app in Google Play has a link to file types supported by Google TV device and it does indicate support for FLAC. I think ViMu and Plex are the way to go but I don't how to do it since I don't have any FLAC files. Another possible app would be ES File Explorer. How to set it up with a NAS is out of my area of expertise don't have a NAS either but my vague understanding is you should be able to do what you want. Good luck.

3. webfeatworks

webfeatworks New Member

I'm specifically referring to Hi-Resolution FLAC files, such as those found on HD Tracks or SACD rips.

4. ChrisG8

I have a couple hundred SACDs and about 150 DVD-As but zero high resolution FLAC files, at least that I can find,, I still play discs. I do think HD Tracks or AIX or some other company selling high resolution downloads offered a free sample download a few years ago, which I played using an Oppo universal player, it played fine, but I checked prices and haven't paid any attention to downloads since.

Do you have reason to believe the ViMu list of formats supported is wrong, it won't play high resolution FLAC? FLAC is just a very efficient lossless compression method and of course it is used for high resolution audio, those are exactly the type of files that benefit from being compressed to half the file size. Why not just put a file on a USB drive, check to see if the NSZ-GS7 will play it? I am going to look for the file downloaded, I doubt if I deleted it, and see if I can play it.

5. phm_gtv

phm_gtv New Member

I rip lots of vinyl, so I made some sample FLAC files to see what the NSZ-GS7 can do. The results are not encouraging.

• 192kHz/24bit - ViMu reports: "Sorry. ViMu is unable to play this media"
    • 96kHz/24bit - ViMu reports: "Sorry. ViMu is unable to play this media"
    • 48kHz/24bit The file plays with no issues
    • 44.1kHz/24bit - The file plays BUT resampled to 48kHz

So yes, technically the NSZ-GS7 will play FLAC, but my results suggest only 48kHz (unless you like your audio resampled) :eek:

HTH

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  6. ChrisG8

I downloaded a couple of test files from the 2L site:

High Resolution Music DOWNLOAD services .:. FLAC in free TEST BENCH

I couldn't get 96kHz or 192kHz 24 bit test files to play using a Sony NSZ-GT1. It may be the settings aren't correct or there is no support for high resolution FLAC. I don't even know what Google Music sells but I would expect support for all Google Music downloads. If Google Music is only MP3, of course that won't help us any but if high resolution downloads are offered for sale, I would sure expect support.

A question in the ViMu player thread here regarding support for high resolution FLAC is probably a good idea, Alexander Kolychev checks that thread often and he will likely know what is possible.

7. phm_gtv

phm_gtv New Member

I just tried the same test with a USB stick and Media Player. Media Player refused to see any FLAC files.

The ViMu thread Chris spoke of is here

8. webfeatworks

webfeatworks New Member

Thanks for all the tests and comments... I tried posting into the board you suggested but it doesn't like my ISP... says it's been blacklisted so it won't accept my post. If anyone here can post a link to this thread from that board it would be great as it doesn't look like I can post.

9. phm_gtv

phm_gtv New Member

I had the same issue with that site. I found it was because I was pasting a URL pointing back to here. If you use something like tinyurl to encode the URL you're trying to paste, it may work.

10. Cyphermax

Cyphermax New Member

I too and trying to play some 96khz/24bit files I have stored on my NAS drive on my plex app. When select the file it says media error resetting. Then it jumps back to the previous page. After some research I found that Plex the will play a file in its native format unless the player doesn't support it, in this case the GS8 does not support the flac codec.
    The only way I can play these files is through the clunky network menus on my onkyo receiver. It works but is difficult to navigate I just which it worked through plex since is so easy. The flac files play fine on my laptop and my Galaxy S4. Bummer...

11. ChrisG8

If you have any 48MHz FLAC files, try those. The usefulness of a player for only 48MHz files isn't great if that isn't what you have of course.

12. Cyphermax

Cyphermax New Member

What's weird is the GS8 supports 24bit/96khz 2ch output and it supports wav files not flac according to the specs. So I converted a few of my 24bit/96khz flac files to 24bit/96khz wav files and loaded them into plex. Tried to play then on the GS8 and it said error just like before.

I don't know if it's a limitation of the GS8 or a problem with the plex app. But I'm thinking it's the GS8 because all my other plex apps on my laptop and my phone play the native flac files just fine. I really don't want to down sample to cd quality because the whole reason I bought these high resolution files is for the increased resolution. I'm going to mess around with some settings in the plex app and see if I come up with anything.

13. retroben

retroben Active Member

I have 16bit/48KHz running physically on my GS7 with the available again "Clean Music Player" app directly in the Play Store app.

You can convert your 24bit/96khz FLACs to 16bit/48khz FLACs with no major quality loss using the free version of Media Human Music Converter.

MediaHuman Music Converter - convert DRM protected music with few clicks

I have used this regularly to fix my error-causing FLAC files.

Just never play them with the "Google Play Music" app because it sucks at playing FLAC files from frequent error messages on otherwise proved playable FLACs.

14. phm_gtv

phm_gtv New Member

The GS7/GS8 is really marketed as a video device and not so much an audiophile music player. 48kHz is the typical audio sampling rate in digital video files.

In my experiments, I tried both the included "Media Player" app and "ViMu". Even with 44.1kHz content, the GS7 resampled to 48kHz (same as Apple TV G3). I would not recommend the GS7/GS8 as a music player, period.