Quantcast

optical thumb mouse – responsiveness

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by Earl_b, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Earl_b

Earl_b New Member

I have really struggled with the optical thumb sensor on our remote from day one. The majority of the time it is practically unresponsive. To move the cursor an inch on the screen takes 10-12 swipes. I have adjusted all of the settings for sensitivity to no avail. I had others try it to take out the human error possibility ( like calluses, technique or what have you) I have even returned the remote ( not set top box, just remote) and exchanged it for a replacement and we are still having the same experience. Everything else on the remote is extremely responsive, but the mouse is practically worthless. I have called support who confirmed I have the latest firmware, made me resynce the remote, and even fully reset the box ( Pain in the rear) but none of this helped. After 4 hours on the phone the Tech determined the entire system needs replaced. I was told I was being sent a return label two weeks ago, but it has not arrived. ( that’s a story for another time) . My question, to this forum is “Am I the only one that finds the mouse practically none responsive? Do we lend any credence to replacing the setup box solving the problem? “

2. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Hey,I had the same problem when I got my Sony 40" GTV. I hated it, then I replaced the Battery's with new Duracell Rechargeable 1700mah and it fixed everything. Now when the Mouse starts to slow down I recharge the battery's.

Hope this helps :)

3. waynew73

waynew73 New Member

I found that the remote control had to be held with the keyboard being fully parallel to the floor. The more I turned the unit (on an angle/tilt), the less problematic.the mouse was with being responsive.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab

4. bobbalinks

bobbalinks New Member

I gave up on it. Bought a standard keyboard/mouse combination (Logitech MK700/MK710) and find it quite useful. It works perfectly except that I had to experiment quite a bit to find the keyboard presses for many of the actions such as previous-screen [F3] or Television [F1] or Home [F2], etc.).

Hope this helps.

bobbalinks
    bobbalinks@gmail.com

5. Earl_b

Earl_b New Member

Thanks Everyone for the input... I tried the 1700mab rechargeable ( cost co brand thought) with no luck. It did seem a bit more responsive, but that could be perceived. I am going to bump up to a 2500mah just to see.

I will also try the "more" parallel approach, and I just borrowed a nice wireless Zippy keyboard keyboard. What I hate about the last option is that I "really" like the size and style of the Sony, when it works. I guess if I can figure out all the mappings, I could be happy with an after market solution.

I appreciate all of the suggestions.

6. gdstuart

gdstuart New Member

Bob, Geoff again. It would be fantastic if you would post a cheat sheet with your F-key combinations. I'll add any that I come up with. They would probably be the same for my Microsoft setup.

Thanks!

Geoff

7. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Hey Earl_b,

This might be pointless but I just remembered there is a Setting called Keyboard & pointer- in here you can manually set your mouse speed. This might help balance out your problem. My pointer speed is set at slow and moves very fast, yours might need to be set at fast or some ware in the middle.

Hope this helps :)

8. Trendsighter

Trendsighter New Member

You are right! The mouse / pointer is generally unresponsive and frustrating. I doubt if any "promised" updates will correct this problem???

Trendsighter

9. waynew73

waynew73 New Member

I have found that the optical sensor seems to go into sleep mode. Basically if it doesn't register as I use it, I just press another button like the zoom or scroll button on the side and then it wakes up and immediately works.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Tapatalk

10. gdstuart

gdstuart New Member

I've given up on all these ideas. It's really not a hassle to just plug my Microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard receiver into the USB connector and just go that route. Sony blew it with this remote and should provide wireless KB/mice to all who request them to address the customer sat issue.

11. tomdfw1

tomdfw1 New Member

I just got my Sony 32" Google TV and the mouse issue is the same...it's horrible! I may return this product.

12. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

See if re-pairing the controller with tv fixes the problem . Most people release the buttons to pair the remote with the google tv too soon instead of waiting for the image to change and it ends up making the mouse either not respond like it should , or only respond when you hold down a key that was used to pair the controller and use the thumb mouse at the same time.

I had the same problem the first time I got the sony google tv like you did and the optical mouse only worked when I pressed the Function key at the same time I used the mouse . After I re-paired the mouse with tv and held both buttons down until the picture changed to a different one , the mouse works great. I did the setup like this more then once and each time the mouse works great on the controller.

13. gdstuart

gdstuart New Member

An update downloaded to my Google TV box yesterday and the trackball works a little better.

14. sgorman

sgorman New Member

I have had the same issue with the optical sensor. I mailed it to Sony for repair after discussing the issue with the tech people and trying all their suggestions. They returned it in good working order. About one month later its responsiveness has slowed again to where it sometimes moves and sometimes doesn't. I can't understand what would slow it down. In fact, the scrolling works fine but actually moving the pointer across the tv screen is one of the most frustrating experiences. Will a Logitech keyboard and mouse work with the Google tv box?

15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

16. gdstuart

gdstuart New Member

Or you can just buy any USB mouse for $20-30 and it will work fine, despite what Sony says. I have tried three brands and they all work great.

17. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

I also have used 4 different kind of mice with all worked fine for me.