Quantcast

Operating Scientific Atlanta DVR Cablebox

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by adamjill, Aug 27, 2011.

1. adamjill

adamjill New Member

I just bought the Sony Google TV yesterday, and so far so good. I only have one question so far. I am a Cablevision subscriber with a Scientific Atlanta DVR Cablebox. If I choose to record a program, I need to click on the yellow triangle A button on the DVR remote to confirm my choice. Is there a corresponding key on the Google TV remote? All other functionality seems to be working perfectly. Thanks.
    Adam

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I have Time Warner and they provided me with both a Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC and 4240HDC set-top boxes. Both of these come with remotes that are interchangeable with one another. On the remotes they have the "Yellow A Triangle", "Blue B Button", "Red C Circle", and "Green D Diamond".

The Logitech Revue works with the Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC perfectly and there colored shape keys are perfectly defined with the Keyboard controller. The Scientific Atlanta 4240HDC is connected to the Sony Internet TV; however, it doesn't appear that these keys are functional with the NSG-MR1. I used an IR Scope to verify that when these keys are pressed, no signals are emitted.

According to the device setup wizard for Time Warner the following IR Blaster codes might be compatible; 11376, 11877, 40618, 40739, 51512, 51503, and 12187. My set-top boxes only respond to "11877"; however, I test all of them with IR scope. Only "11376" emits IR signals with the "yellow", "blue", "red", and "green" buttons. According to my notes, this codes are used for the Motorola DCX3400 or Motorola 6416.

So, I contacted Sony Online Chat Support and here's the transcript.

3. coonsie

coonsie New Member

I am wondering if there is any update to this situation eferz?

I got a brand new box, and same situation with my Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC box...colored buttons don't work...

Phil

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Nope. I gave up on the Scientific Atlanta 8300/4240HDC boxes from Time Warner. I realized that in the long run that I could save on DVR rental fees in less than three years by purchasing a Lifetime Tivo Premiere. Besides, even after two updates Sony has made no progress in updating any of the other IR Blaster profiles in the list. So, I doubt they ever will. This is why the Harmony component in the Logitech Revue makes it far superior to any of the Sony Google TV devices.

5. coonsie

coonsie New Member

Can you enlighten me a little. You still get your TV signal via Time Warner? You just don't pay the rental for their Scientific Atlanta, but you still pay for the HD content from them, but just use the Lifetime Tivo Premiere? Just a better box, and does it work well with the Sony Google TV Blu-ray?

I did buy one of the Logitech Revues, and admit that did like their big keyboard/control....but just saw last week where Logitech is dumping the Revue since they lost so much money on it. I figure they will never come through with updated software, and support will be non existent after this. They said they will sell out the stock in stores, and then they are out of that business at the end of this quarter. I returned it within the time period and bought the Sony instead. (oh...and I am reading stuff about Sony maybe dumping google tv down the road too).

Phil

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, I have the Tivo Premiere with both Over The Air (OTA) Antenna AND cable QAM feed from Time Warner that is supported with a cable card and tuner adapter. The Cable Card monthly rental is only $2.50/mo and the Tuner Adapter is free if necessary. This beats the $18.98/mo DVR Rental & Converter Fee from Time Warner which comes to $239.76 a year! This was described in the following thread, "http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...decline-fall-tivo-media-center.html#post13088".

So, I am actually able to watch and record content from the OTA channels as well as the HD channels and Showtime. Because of this, I realized that most of my preferred shows can be recorded from the OTA antenna. This has shown me that I have the opportunity to cut the cable subscription and not miss any of my shows. Provided of course, I get a season pass from iTunes or Amazon for the shows only broadcasted on the cable networks.

Also, the Tivo's remote codes have been the same for the last few models and is using a well establish IR protocol. It is referenced by many different universal remotes. That's probably why it works better than the Scientific Atlanta which is missing the necessary color symbol keys for operation for the Sony Google TV remote.

7. DonGeorge

DonGeorge New Member

Let us know if Sony ever responds to you with a real solution. It doesn't surprise me that the customer service people couldn't help. I am surprised that they actually acknowledged that it was the fault of their product.

It sounds like you already got rid of your TWC box, but did you happen to see if the codes that activated the colored shape buttons actually performed the correct corresponding operation?

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I had a similar discussion in regards to the Roku 2 XS and the Xbox 360, and apparently they don't have the capacity to follow up on these sort of things. So, it was suggested that I check each time that there is an update as that's when the changes could be implemented.

I have since tested it on each subsequent update that has been released by Sony, and only IR Blaster Code# 11376 remains to be the only code with the colored keys that emit IR signals when depressed.