Quantcast

Open up the full play store request - please vote!

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by chopper, Feb 13, 2013.

1. chopper

chopper Active Member

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I think it is a terrible idea, developers should be able to make their applications not available to Google TV if they choose. Out of the apps not available for Google TV, I doubt if a handful work properly with Google TV and having an app work poorly creates very bad word of mouth and very bad reviews in the Play Store. Make only apps that run well on Google TV available for Google TV is the smart move.

Sign this if you want but it won't matter, like 99.99% of internet petitions, it will amount to nothing, this issue has already been addressed and the proper situation exists now. I am not running a single side loaded app and making apps that will run poorly available for installation would just create an annoyance to me.

Google TV is struggling as is and having apps that won't work properly easily obtained will just create more whining and further negative publicity. If I thought this silly idea would gain any traction, I would voice my disapproval loudly but I know it won't so I won't bother to follow the story. Let those interested in running apps not intended for Google TV continue to waste their time side loading and uninstalling, I will continue to not bother with those apps and run the proper apps that actually work and provide something useful for Google TV.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

no thats not the only thing.. its lack of agreement with networks.. its a dev cycle that moves way too slow.. its lack of ndk. or non support of xbmc.. its just has gotten stale... it cannot adapt to change... with the speed the new android tv boxes advance.... unless you just are not into innovation.. google tv is just kinda of plain... and im a fan of it... but im not a fan boy of it... just wait for 3 months... and see where the next push of android television comes from.. it will not be google or any of its partners.. it will be the little startups... thats why i bought one... its cool to have full access to the dev team and not just some tech support hot line.... its cool to see the firm ware jump from supporting 720p to 1080p,, in a matter of weeks.. its fun to see the dev community hack away at the box and create something new... not some locked down bootloader that insures lack of innovation untill it passes 500 approvals and then is pushed to the company... it may not be the most polished solution to google tv.. but those little android pc boxes.. are way more cutting edge..

4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

LOL!

Geeze, these are what, $99.00 units? $150.00 at best? C'mon, half the apps yer talking 'bout are developed for phones & tablets. GTV is in a class of its own. No one is locking us out.

It's simply a matter of common sense...

Chill

Carl

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Generally speaking I'm not a big fan of sideloading. However I wanted to mention that I currently have a total of 3 apps sideloaded that I'm pleased with and have given me no issues.

1) The current Google Play version APK. (I did this as a "fix" because my Revue is stuck on the 3.1 OS update - and the new Play Store "official" version won't work on 3.1 OS. There are quite possibly some functions that this set-tup cannot do compared to if I was on the latest GTV OS update and "official" PlayStore update - however thus far I have used it soley for searching, viewing and downloading apps and that part functions great. I have this on my home screen.

2) Seeder APK (Definitely notice a speed improvement on my Revue. To the best of my knowledge no known issues or bugs created from this app thus far).

3) Recent Google Voice APK (Sweet! I'm able to receive call notifications on my TV, send & receive text messages, and listen to voice mails all from within the app on my Logitech Revue). I also have this app on my home screen.

6. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

the new google tv have way more then enough horse power to support any of the play store apps.. if you have not used Flipboard on a large screen TV.. yet.. i suggest you try it... it is just about the best idea i have seen for a GTV kinda application.. gtv is in a class by its selfr because its locking all the real development out,, if they were to open this silly box to developement.. you could have a really nice Home Theater PC.. running XBMC. and you could have all the codecs you ever needed... you could have add blockers.. you could have many many different media players.. you could have G+ apps.. and you could have something more then the Honycomb op system...
    by locking the boot, by refusing to include NDK.. google has castrated its self... all that horse power of the newer boxes are not being used... thats why the revue and the G1 pretty much runs dead even with the newer boxes.. perhaps some day some one will fig out the locks... but untill then... google is stuck in 2010... with HC... meanwhile every thing is racing along with Icecream and Jellybean and next up Keylime.. mho the google Fork was just way too restricted.... and having full access to Play store is really nice too... and the cheapest of these boxes is around 60 bucks and is well worth the gamble if only as an experiment... yes you are being locked out......

• Like Like x 2
  7. chopper

chopper Active Member

I think Mitty was originally side loaded and offered a basic UI on GTV. Once the dev got wind of the interest he made an App just for GTV. So what I am now proposing is that there be an option to side load Apps made available for those that know what they are doing. Ie: make users change something in settings that opens up Google Play. I think this takes care of the danger of GTV getting a bad rep. issue. BTW Seeder has made my Revue 1000% better! But now that someone has mentioned stupid, here is what I think is stupid about GTV: Primetime is USA only, no camera for Skype, limited codec support, and a piss poor App selection. In addition, the You Tube App still has no easy method for shareing a link to a vid on this forum and the Chrome browser still doesn't use tabs. Also, when doing a search on the You Tube App there is no filter to get search results that are the most recent postings on a subject. So if I find a better App for You Tube or a better browser that supports flash I want to be able to get it an have it work without being locked into an outdated flash version.

Archos TV Connect may be the Solution as a non GTV box?

"man this place has hit the skids..." I agree!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  8. Carlszone

Scuzzo

I'm not trying to be argumentive, here. But the Logitech Revue had trouble selling at its original price. By the time the salable price was reached the unit was already headed for discontinuance. Logitech is still reeling from the aftershock. Now ya propose that devs divy up the ante on an as of yet unproven platform. All I'm saying is let Google TV pay for itself first. Marketing as well as usability is the key to added function, not polls. The Hula Hoop, Ipod, Cassette, VCR, etc., all prove that a useful idea bursts spontaneously onto the scene w/little or no intro. This phenomenon did NOT happen for GTV.

So we are left w/the slow process of mass marketing and word of mouth. And honestly, right now, I ain't willing to pay more fer one of these devices no matter what apps are available.

But I'll sign yer poll...

Take Care

Carl

9. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

IMO the reason GTV is "lock-downed" and "limited" is because they (Google) have officially declared that GTV is not intended to be a cord-cutting device. They view it as an adjunct to cable TV service.

Thus Google is trying to play nice with content providers in the hopes that they will eventually come around and open up to GTV.

It's still up-in-the-air as to if this ultimately will turn out to be the right approach - as thus far GTV sales have been rather slow.

Things like opening up the bootloader will have content providers running away from GTV (even more than they already are).

So right or wrong this is the path that Google has chosen for GTV.........

*IMO if Google was a small independent company (without the Play Store and YouTube) they would likely be more daring about "opening things up". A slight boost in GTV sales is not worth alienating content providers that do business on YouTube and Google Play. The reason NDK is still not on GTV is not purely "technical" in nature - but is related to the content provider issue also.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  10. Carlszone

Yeah, Google is trying to have it both ways. The Kansas City experiment scerd da crap outta the local cable providers & ISPs.

Ya cain't serve two masters...

Carl

11. chopper

chopper Active Member

I hear Apple TV may be getting Apps soon! Should be interesting to see if they get TV right too? I think GTV's lac of marketing is what holds it back. Think of all the commercials we have seen for the iphone/ipad since 2008! GTV may just be too ahead of it's time, someone will probably come along and do it better or just market the next big thing very well and just take over.

• Like Like x 2
  12. malaugh

malaugh New Member

I think Google TV is basically dead. Its in that vicious cycle of few apps, fewer customers, less apps, that Nokia and RIM find themselves in. I for one am tired of "not for your county" "not allowed on this device" and apps that are glorified shortcuts to the web site. Unless Google signs up Hulu, and a couple of the other major apps, and get rid of the restrictions they are in a death spiral. Espicially now when there is no Flash 11, so even youtube may not work properly. It looks like Roku or WD will be the winners in this market.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Carlszone

Dude, have you no soul?

The spirit of this age changes devices, not wishful thinking. GTV is already here. The networks are facing for the first time a RIAA type revolt. Remember the early file sharing sites that seemed to have no standing in the courts. Mega Upload, Rentadrone, and the most infamous, Napster. Now they are for the most part considered legitimate sites. No corporation effected these changes. It was a consumer based revolution that WAS televised.

When folks got sued beyond their means, anybody remember who paid their legal fees. It certainly wasn't their companies which filed for Chapter 11 before the ink was dry on the indictments. It was us! Users who felt isolated and closed off from the vast promises of open sharing of media. It, again was not won in any polling petitions or writs Mort main. But only by the collective user base seeking a fair based exchange.

Look, do you not realize the advertising potential of these GTV units. Billions of dollars for every minute we are on line. We are tracked, stalked and intercepted at every crossroad of the internet.

Legitimately...

Thanks

Carl

14. chopper

chopper Active Member

Here is another example of the power of side loading: ColorNote side loaded (Updated) - GTVFriends So alwaysonline has done it again. He side loaded this App to GTV, emailed the dev, and they responded by tweaking the App so that it now is compatible with GTV and can be installed now via Google Play.

I say give at least a handful of users who know what they are doing the ability to install Apps without restrictions and his efforts for GTV will be multiplied several times over and then the App selection will come along sooner.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  15. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

16. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

More apps for Google TV is great and we are seeing a slow but steady stream of new apps. If the user community helps by side loading and providing info to the developer to adapt the app to Google TV, that is one way to help the process along.

As far as Google TV being dead, not yet, not until some other smart TV platform takes hold and dominates the market. I believe Apple TV is doing the best, slightly better than Roku in terms of market share. I use Roku and see no way a platform with such a narrow focus can dominate the market but it can dominate the niche market for the simplest to set up and simplest to use streaming player. I have no idea why the larger market would settle for just Roku but for this point in time when we have the even more limited Apple TV and the more difficult but much more ambitious Google TV as the main competition, it can do pretty well. I use Google TV everyday and use Roku most days, between the two I can do everything I want but neither comes close to that goal individually. There is no way any significant market will deal with having two smart TV boxes connected to each HDTV, it will deal with a computer before that but there is no way any significant market will just use a computer either.

The XBox 360 might be a big success as it moves toward the goal or maybe the PS4 or maybe the Wii U, I don't know where the market is heading but I am sure Google TV still has time to get it right. I will probably continue to use my assortment of boxes and be happy, not many others will deal with all of that clutter.