Quantcast

Open Launcher for Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by entertailion, Dec 31, 2012.

1. entertailion

entertailion New Member

The Open Launcher app is an alternative to the default home launcher app provided by Google TV. The app is published as a free app in the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.entertailion.android.launcher

The user interface consists of rows of your favorite apps which you can customize. It also includes a special row at the bottom for the most recent apps launched.

Features:
    - More room for organizing your favorite apps
    - Support for grouping of apps, web apps, channels and web sites
    - Quick access to recent apps
    - Supports fast D-pad navigation
    - Overlay design that displays more of live TV
    - Direct access to browser bookmarks
    - Direct access to Spotlight web apps
    - Displays current weather (USA only)
    - Various customizable settings

Instructions:
    - To add an app: Use the D-pad arrow keys to select any row other than the "Recent Apps" row. Press Menu and select "Add App". You can select the current row or enter the name for a new row. Then select the app you want to add.
    - To add a Spotlight web app: Select any row other than the "Recent Apps" row. Press Menu and select "Add Spotlight Web App". You can select the current row or enter the name for a new row. Then select the web app you want to add.
    - To add a TV channel as a favorite: Go to live TV, press Menu, select Save and then "Add channel to home screen". Type in the channel number or name. Select the channel from the list and press OK.
    - To add a web site as a favorite: Load the site in the Chrome browser. Press Menu, select Save and then "Add to home screen". Confirm the web site details and select the OK button.
    - To add a web site to bookmarks: Add bookmark in Chrome and then use Bookmarks app.
    - To uninstall an app: Select All Apps, the long click on the app you want to uninstall.

Limitations:
    - Wallpapers are not supported.
    - Widgets are not supported.
    - The icons provided by Google TV for bookmarks and for TV channel icons are low-res. In some cases, TV channels have generic icons.

The code for this app is open sourced at: https://github.com/entertailion/Open-Launcher-for-GTV

• Like Like x 4
  2. LES017

LES017 New Member

Gonna check this out! Thank you! All I've ever wanted was better utilization of the home screen real estate.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  4. volwrath

volwrath New Member

Very nice app. I look forward to the updates.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

5. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

Can anybody how to tell me to add the Live TV app to this new launcher? I can't seem to find it in the All Apps.

6. saeba

saeba Active Member

This capability just got added in with version 1.2. Get the latest version from the Play store.

And want to add - This is a very cool app! I really like the minimal interface which allows one to continue watching TV while looking through the launcher to bring up a new app, select a favorite channel or launch a web page. I really didn't find the original Google TV launcher home page that useful and it obscured the TV video while interacting with it.

Also, development is progressing quickly. Version 1.2 just came out with some enhancements and more enhancements are planned. It's obvious the developer actually uses the product as the enhancement list he's tracking is the same as what I've found in using it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  7. entertailion

entertailion New Member

Open Launcher 1.3 for Google TV has been released in the Google Play Store. The ultimate +Google TV launcher.

This version includes:
    - Move items within a row
    - Browser history app
    - Bug fix for adding certain web sites
    - Support for USA local channel network names
    - Weather bug fix

The code for Open Launcher is open-sourced:https://github.com/entertailion/Open-Launcher-for-GTV

8. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

I love this launcher. But one thing it needs is the ability to set any row to the default row. The default row would always come up first when you press the home button.

9. entertailion

entertailion New Member

10. saeba

saeba Active Member

Just loaded and tried it out. Works great! Really appreciate the ability to edit the TV channel name :)!

I still don't get the wallpaper feature... how is that used as you don't really have a desktop?

11. entertailion

entertailion New Member

The wallpaper is a bit weird for Google TV; I only see it sometimes since the live TV is really the "wallpaper". Wallpaper probably makes more sense for cord cutters with no live TV. You can change the system wallpaper using Menu/Settings/Wallpaper. If you want to see the current wallpaper you can use this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.elsewhat.android.currentwallpaper

12. entertailion

entertailion New Member

Version 1.4 of Open Launcher allows you to change the order of the rows. The top-most row is always displayed first when you invoke the launcher.

13. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

Thank you. Already installed the new version this morning. My wife appreciates this feature.

14. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

This is a great Launcher, it really enhances the user experience.

15. GTanz

GTanz New Member

Great launcher. I installed it on my Vizio Co-Star yesterday. I have a question and an issue.
    Question: Is there a way to change the weather on the home screen from °F to °C? Seeing the temperature in Fahrenheit is confusing me...
    Issue: When I set a wall paper (photo or live), it causes the unit to lock up when I power it down. It will not turn back on unless I unplug it. Anyone else having this issue? Is there something that I need to be doing?

16. entertailion

entertailion New Member

There isn't a setting to change the weather to celcius since the weather is currently only supported in the US.
    Nobody else has reported the wallpaper/lockup issue.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

While I don't experience a wallpaper lockup, are you aware that once the quick guide is used in TV mode upon hitting home, the quick guide gets locked in & replaces the wallpaper? I solved this by setting my wallpaper on Launcher Pro and from that screen selecting Open Launcher as my default Launcher. This way the open L screen shows only the LPro wallpaper. I'd like to be able to navigate between modes w/out the QG showing up below the Open Launcher homescreen. It can't be deleted w/out a restart.

Carl

18. entertailion

entertailion New Member

Very unusual. Which device is this?

19. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Logitech Revue

20. TurboMike

TurboMike New Member

I set this up and LOVE it. Then I found up the MediaPlayer wont work with this launcher. I have to switch back to default Home just to use MediaPlayer.

If you dont use MediaPlayer, I highly recomment.