Quantcast

Only have one HDMI slot

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by daniel2229, Nov 20, 2013.

1. daniel2229

daniel2229 New Member

Can I use an HDMI splitter like the ones at Walmart to hook up the Chromecast dongle, or should I use the old RCA cables from my HD DVR to the TV to free up the slot?

Thanks,

Daniel

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

3. daniel2229

daniel2229 New Member

Yes, I saw one at Radio Shack that has a powered switch. I think I'll get it. Daniel

4. daniel2229

daniel2229 New Member

Got the switch and logged onto Chromecast the first time. I was able to connect both my laptops. One day later not so. Not able to connect my iPad or either laptop.

Chromecast says, "Reconnect me, Chromecastxxx can't find the Netgear61 Wi-Fi network.

At the bottom of the screen it says to "Run the Chromecast app to connect to a network. Otherwise, check your Netgear61 network.

I see the Chromecast icon in the upper right-hand corner of Chrome, but when I press it it says, "No Cast devices found (Device missing?)"

Thanks for your help.

Daniel

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am using a Rocketfish HMDI switch with Chromecast, laptop and Oppo DV980H DVD player and everything is working great including automatic switching. Only the Chromecast changes HDMI input on the AV receiver so I have to switch to HDMI input 4 on the AVR when using the other two but the switch itself will change to the desired HDMI source.

The Chromecast problems you're having are not related to using an HDMI switch, that is a network issue of unknown origin separate from the HDMI switch issues. I don't know what you mean when you state "Not able to connect my iPad or either laptop". I assume you mean through the HDMI switch, can you manually change each HDMI output to the TV or not connect at all, even manually? If automatic switching isn't working, that would be a different issue.

6. daniel2229

daniel2229 New Member

When I switch to the Chromecast, I use the switch and then select imput 7 on my HDTV, where I see the changing Chromecast backgrounds. It is at this point where I see the messages I enumerated above.

I am going to return the device to Best Buy where I purchased it online. I should have known better, Walmart has a whole stack of Chromecast devices! They are a LOT better about returning items that don't work. I still have the return label, so I could mail it back to them.

Daniel

Daniel

7. daniel2229

daniel2229 New Member

Well, it is official. I have tried every step on the Chromecast troubleshooting page, and nothing works. So, I kept the HDMI switch and hooked my one laptop to it via my one HDMI slot, and Bingo! I have a perfect picture on my HDTV!

Good bye Chromecast! You are going back to Best Buy tomorrow. Thanks for all your help.

Daniel