Quantcast

Onlive Viewer for GoogleTV Released!

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by alexg213, Jan 7, 2012.

1. alexg213

alexg213 New Member

I just woke up this morning and realized that my wishes are being answered!!

I checked the Google TV Android Market on my Sony Internet TV and Onlive is featured at the top!!!!

Sure it's only the viewer so far and it's not as responsive as the player (I remember that it was the same on the viewer app on other Android devices as well. I guess the viewer is not built to be as responsive as the player).

However, I have to say that this is huge for us Sony Internet TV owners. The hdmi lag is really bad and our only hope for responsive gaming is a direct Onlive app.

Oh and by way, my Xbox wired controller fricking works!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so excited about this development, that I think I might shed a tear!!

2. halox

halox New Member

Yeah, I saw that last night on the marketplace. Watched some games in the Arena. Admittedly, I don't understand the point of a "viewer" app without being able to play the games (I've thought the same when it was released on iOS and Android), but I am excited about the prospect of it being a full player eventually.

Works well on the Revue.

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Think of it as a teaser, advertisement, or demonstration. This way they can determine the amount of interest without further investing in their resources for development. The number of downloads from a particular platform will help them determine if it is financially viable for them to spend the effort to further expand functionality for a full client.

To give you a rough idea of the time between versions, OnLive Viewer for the iPad and Android was originally released on December 7, 2010. They did not submit the OnLive Player to Apple for approval till last month. However, the Android version has been live since December 8th, 2010.

4. twiz

twiz New Member

Works great, found it a day early by luck after digging through the Market (the native Market app for the Revue is still awful). I hear that the Apple player release took so long because of Apple's game subscription system. But alas, I'm not an Applehead so that's all I know.

I really hope they develop the player for Google TV, because it would make a VERY strong partnership. The Revue and OnLive were meant for each other. Of course I couldn't resist trying to sideload the player apk's for both my Droid 3 and the Kindle Fire (courtesy of xda) but alas, nothing but a hard crash. It was worth a try. :)

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I dunno if I would say it "works great". I was watching someone play "The Witcher" and saw video streaming glitches where portions of the screen did not or could not keep up. Even after watching the start up screen, I noticed the same video glitches there as well. I think OnLive has their hands full if they are going to develop the OnLive Player app for Google TV. Especially, since they won't be able to use the NDK, like they did with the Android Phone and Tablet versions. Incidentally, that's why you get the force close while using the app on GTV.

As I understand, the iOS and Android version was submitted by OnLive at the same time. The difference however is that Google does not have an application vetting process. Which is why more malware authors prefer the Android Market over the iTunes store. That's because Apple's vetting process is pretty strict. Depending on the complexity of the programing, it may take them months to approve it.

6. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

Graphics look a little muddied but that can be improved over time. Hard to say how good/bad the controls are until I play for myself. I watched a few SF4 matches and it looked pretty fluid. Borderlands looked more colorful than 360 version. Pretty slick how the "arena" screen shows hundreds of games already in progress and you select which one you want to watch. This could be the netflix of gaming. Like netflix streaming, it is nice that you don't have to deal with game discs. This could become a serious competitor to MS, sony, and even PC gaming. I did not see BF3, that will be the true gauge for me. Any word as to when we will be able to play games? My curiosity is piqued!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  7. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.onlive.client

What is the OnLive Viewer for Google TV?
    The OnLive Viewer for Google TV is a free App that lets OnLive members access the OnLive Game Service from almost anywhere and gives new members a window into on-demand instant-play video games on the Service. You can Spectate gameplay, watch and rate Brag Clip™ videos, check out news and offers in the Showcase area and connect with Friends in the OnLive community.
    [h=2]How do I get the OnLive Viewer for Google TV?[/h] You can get the OnLive Viewer from the Android Market:

1. Open the Android Market application
    2. Search for the OnLive Viewer and download it (direct link: Android Market)
    When the download is complete, select the icon to launch the OnLive Viewer.
    [h=2]Do I need an OnLive Membership?[/h] Yes, to use the OnLive Viewer, you need a free OnLive Membership.
    To Sign Up, open a web browser go to www.onlive.com/signup. Learn more: OnLive Free Membership Terms and Conditions.
    [h=2]How do I Sign In to the OnLive App?[/h] To Sign In:

1. Launch the OnLive Viewer
    2. Enter your OnLive Account email address and password
    3. If you select the "Remember my password" option, you won't have to enter your email address and password the next time
    [h=2]Troubleshooting[/h] [h=3]Why was I disconnected?[/h] The app can be disconnected for any of the following reasons:

• Inactivity: After 15 minutes of inactivity, the app will disconnect.
    • Duplicate Sign In: If another user connects to the same OnLive Account, then you will be disconnected. Similarly, if you connect to another user's Account, then that user will be disconnected. Only one connection for each OnLive Account is allowed at a given time.

8. alexg213

alexg213 New Member

I've had Onlive for a long time now. Over time, their service has improved ten fold. The fact that I can switch from laptop -> microconsole -> Android phone etc and play the same exact games with all my saves is amazing.

I can even play when I'm at my mom's house on her ancient pc with an old celeron lol.

Just like Netflix makes movies playable from almost any device you're next to, Onlive will do the same.

9. halox

halox New Member

Well, you called it. Looks like OnLive player is coming to all Google TV devices soon ... From Google:

The Official Google TV Blog: OnLive: Console-class Gaming Comes to Google TV

10. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

11. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

How do we access online through revue, web based or app?

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

An app from the Android Market. However, currently, only the viewer is available.

13. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

According to CNet article, current GTV products Revue, sony, LG, may not get OnLive gaming support.

14. hawkmankt

hawkmankt New Member

Downloaded it myself last night to my Sony GTV/BluRay and I like it. Agreed, it would be so much better to be able to game through it right now, but patience children. It will happen. My boy (6 years) was just blown away by the fact we were watching people all over the globe gaming.

15. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

Was there any talk on a release date for the full version?

16. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member

can someone post the apk so i can see if it runs under youwave on win7 ... thanks

17. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't you just use the full Windows client (http://www.onlive.com/play/)?

18. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member

19. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

LOL. Okay, but you could always do it yourself. Just go into File Expert and make a backup of the app. Enable the file sharing then copy it from "/mnt/sdcard/backup_apps".

20. bogdankosh

bogdankosh New Member

hi
    can anybody upload Onlive Viewer app somewhere for those who lives outside US (like me) as we can't download it in Android Market in our countries?
    It'll we very helpful.