Quantcast

OnLive Lays Off Entire Staff!

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by rschauby, Aug 17, 2012.

1. rschauby

rschauby New Member

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Wow that's a real shocker! I also wonder if they still plan on having their GTV app in the Google Play store (supposedly they were working on a GTV app that was due out soon)? So if the app never becomes available - then the Sony box won't have OnLive either.

3. eug7

eug7 New Member

4. halox

halox New Member

Hmmm ... I wouldn't call a full "not" just yet ... from the article:

[UPDATE 1: Gaming site Kotaku is reporting that OnLive is preparing to file for bankruptcy protection in California.]
    [UPDATE 2: Gamasutra reports that an internal source has confirmed mass layoffs inside OnLive.]
    [UPDATE 3: Martyn Williams, a correspondent for IDG News Service, reports via Twitter that he's standing outside OnLive headquarters. "In the last 20mins have seen three people walk out of # OnLive with leaving boxes. Still unclear what's happening inside pic.twitter.com/ZYFBxCyC"]
    In light of these developments, I've reached out again to OnLive's Brian Jaquet and will continue to update this report.

So it seems like something major is happening at OnLive ... and it ain't great.

5. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

If this is true, I'm canceling my Vizio Co-Star order NOW, OnLive was one of the main reasons why I was getting the Co-Star, say it ain't so, please ...! Sony Store here I come ..(lol)

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

A plan would require staff to develop the app and staff to maintain the service so the app can work. Sounds really bleak to me but it may be possible the company will be acquired or restructured. If the business model makes sense and such a business can be profitable, chances are still pretty good, but I have seen nothing that makes me believe it is a viable business. I would expect a liquidation and nothing more.

7. CatfishRivers

Source: OnLive Found A Buyer, Cleaned House To Reduce Liability Prior To Acquisition | TechCrunch (click for full article)

"We're hearing from a reliable source that OnLive's founder and CEO Steve Perlman finally decided to make an exit - and in the process, is screwing the employees who helped build the company and brand. The cloud gaming company reportedly had several suitors over the last few years (perhaps including Microsoft) but Perlman reportedly held tight control over the company, apparently not wanting to sell or share any of OnLive's secret sauce.

Our source tells us that the buyer wants all of OnLive's assets - the intellectual property, branding, and likely patents - but the plan is to keep the gaming company up and running. However, OnLive management cleaned house today, reportedly firing nearly the entire staff, and we hear it was done just to reduce the company's liability, thus reducing employee equity to practically zero. Yeah, it's a massive dick move."

8. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 New Member

If OnLive tanks, what is Vizio's responsibility to it's customers? I bought a membership and a Universal Remote just to use with OnLive. :(

9. CatfishRivers

It looks like OnLive's new owners plan on keeping OnLive operational:

OnLive hits reset after being dragged down by expensive servers, confirms service will continue -- Engadget

From the article:

"OnLive has finally issued an official statement after rumors of mass layoffs first leaked out earlier today, confirming that its assets have been acquired into a newly-formed company with what it claims is "substantial" financial backing. The big news for users is that the OnLive Game and Desktop services will remain operational and continue to be supported.

The release also claims a "large percentage" of OnLive staff is being hired into the new company with plans to hire more over time, while PR informs us the leadership team remains intact. "

10. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Vizio's responsibility would be nothing but the company could choose to do something although I consider that very unlikely, I am sure the user agreement covers that aspect of the product clearly. Hopefully OnLive will continue with new ownership and everything will be fine but if you had hoped Vizio could guarantee any third party applications, that's just wishful thinking. All services provided by third parties, OnLive, Netflix, Crackle, Redux, and so on aren't guaranteed by the company making the device.

There was a lot of whining when Rhapsody was dropped from the old TiVo boxes, Rhapsody changed its service and it no longer worked and I laughed when I saw all of the threads at TiVo Community and just suggested they read the user agreement, TiVo had no obligation to do anything to fix it, even if they could.

11. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 New Member

I have not read the user agreement but, I have read many of your post and most of them are spot on so, I believe what you are saying. It would be a terrible PR blow for Vizio though.

12. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I'm just happy OnLive is not going out of business OnLive hits reset after being dragged down by expensive servers, confirms service will continue -- Engadget .....

Update: Joystiq has more information from a former employee, who estimated the average number of peak concurrent OnLive users at around 1,800 or so, and the amount of retained staff in the range of 20 percent. One other tidbit? The source expects OnLive to go after recent Sony acquisition Gaikai for infringement of a game streaming patent, so stay tuned.

13. lartomar2002

lartomar2002 New Member

The plot thickens!