Quantcast

On Sale

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by overtimeman, Nov 17, 2013.

1. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Up on sony.com the GS8 is going for $129.99 with free shipping.That's a few $$ cheaper than amazon.com has it for.Still waiting for the upgrade but it would be great if Sony could slip a flash code when or if we ever get it.Most sites still utilize flash and will take their sweet time changing over to HTML5.With the 3.2 I'm having trouble logging into barnesandnoble and samsclub.But the way I look at it is that the nine years MSNTV2 was on the scene it couldn't do tenth of what GTV can do now even on my Revue!

• Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Here'sthe link:

Internet Player with Google TV - NSZGS8 Review | Sony Store U.S. - Sony US

I believe the initial reaction to the price drop will be viewed as "good news" by GTV enthusiasts - especially for those in the market wanting to pick up a Sony NSZ-GS8.

However IMO when looking at the big picture - it's not good news that the NSZ-GS8 has seen a steady price decline from the original MSRP of $199.99. It means that Sony isn't selling enough of the boxes - and thus has to lower the price to clear out inventory.

Here's something interesting. The Sony GTV Bravia Smart Stick dongle (NSZ-GU1) is currently selling for $149.99 on the Sony web site. That's $20 more than than the NSZ-GS8 - even though the NSZ-GU1 has overall inferior hardware/specs (less expensive to manufacture) than the NSZ-GS8.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Good news for people who'd like a second (or third) unit. I suppose there are different ways of looking at it. A price adjustment certainly makes sense, and $129.99 is perhaps close enough to tempt people away from buying a less capable $100 box. If you want to look at in a positive light, I suppose this could be a pre-cursor to introducing a new streaming box and they're just trying to move the old stock before announcing. If so, they've done a wonderful job keeping it under wraps...

4. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

I know what they announced at last years January 2013 meeting and only LG has seen anything come of it.The quad core android boxes look tempting but I'm going to hang on and wait.Yep it is a good price but not when compared what Target cleared them out for.

5. CatfishRivers

It looks like the sale for the Sony NSZ-GS8 is over already. The Sony web site currently has it offered for $169.99.

I did notice that before the sale - on the Amazon Electronics bestsellers chart the NSZ-GS8 was selling at between about #1800 and #3000 (it fluctuates day by day). But usually above #2000. After the sale it got down to about #900 and generally was at about #1000 for much of the sale period.

So the reduced price definitely had a positive impact on sales. I'm thinking Sony wanted to "test the waters" to see how many units they could move at $129.99. Also maybe they needed to clear out inventory. Now that the price is back to where it was before the sale started - I expect that the NSZ-GS8 will drop back down to around #2000 on the Amazon Electronics Bestseller chart. (There's some lag from the time of a price change to the corresponding change in rankings on the sales chart - so it doesn't happen right away).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  6. CatfishRivers

Well the Sony NSZ-GS8 is back on sale again. The Sony web site hast it for $129.99 and Amazon currently has it for $128:

Amazon.com: Sony NSZGS8 Internet Player with Google TV: Electronics

I wouldn't be surprised if the recent up-and-down price fluctuation is the result of Sony doing some 'marketing experimentation' to attempt to figure out at what price point draws enough quantity of sales to make it worth while to Sony's bottom line to continue producing the NSZ-GS8 (or even other unreleased GTV devices they might be considering for the future).

I noticed that right before the Hisense Pulse was discontinued - there were several price swings between $79 to $99. Obviously it sold much better at $79 - but Hisense didn't see enough profit potential to continue on with the Pulse. I believe Hisense was doing a similar kind of 'market experiment' with those aforementioned price swings. I hope that Sony's findings are different......

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  7. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take it as a sign of Sony doing " 'marketing experimentation' to attempt to figure out at what price point draws enough quantity of sales to make it worth while to Sony's bottom line to continue producing the NSZ-GS8 (or even other unreleased GTV devices they might be considering for the future)."

I see it as Sony looking to dispose of inventory...