Quantcast

On off switch?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by swiftdreams, Sep 21, 2011.

1. swiftdreams

swiftdreams New Member

I found the on off switch on the keyboard, but how do you turn off the Revue itself? Only way I've been able to do it is to unplug the power cord. Feeling rather dumb about it, sigh.
    ~Mary~

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Logitech Revue wasn't designed to be powered off, so you'll need to unplug it from the electric outlet in order to power it off.

3. Rayonix

Rayonix New Member

Hi Mary,

I replied to this in the official Logitech Revue forums, but came into the same issue. Here's my original response on there and what I did about it:

I was annoyed with the inability to shut off the Revue as well, having tried a Boxee Box before I knew this was coming though.To get around this I went to Menards (I'm sure Lowe's or other home improvement stores would have them too) and bought a wireless power outlet for $8.

[I'm not able to post a direct link due to board rules and me not posting 10 messages or more yet, but if you visit your local Lowe's or Menards in your area and ask for an "Indoor Wireless Remote Outlet
    " you should be able to turn off your Revue without damaging the power jack on your Revue from continually plugging/unplugging.]

4. frmorrison

frmorrison New Member

While a switch on the outlet would do the job of turning off the Revue, I think the issue is damaging possibly damaging the flash memory (with the power going on/off) rather than damaging the power jack.

5. swiftdreams

swiftdreams New Member

So then it's supposed to left on all the time? Well, except for storms or it not being used for several days?

6. RoyalKnight6190

RoyalKnight6190 New Member

Yes leave it on. I leave mine on 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Even during storms. That's what surge protectors are for.

Sent from my MT4G running a TeamRoyal Rom!!!

7. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

I am using always ON without problems

8. Rayonix

Rayonix New Member

That's certainly your choice...but you turn your phone on and off too, so doesn't that do the same thing with that flash memory? Same device, different format as far as I can tell. I'd just not rather have a fan running 24/7... A Roku like I had before with no moving parts like I had before I would have no problem, but not with this. Again, to each his own. I was just offering some input for Mary for an alternative to powering down without damaging the port. I do always make sure that I don't have any running applications before shutting it off this way however.

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Actually, most phones aren't powered off and/or on as common either. Many mobile phones use a quick power toggle to shutoff the display or hangup the call. Usually, you have to perform a long keypress of the power button in order to shutdown the phone.

10. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

And the phone unmounts the memory, rather than just killing power to it. It's a controlled shut down...