Quantcast

On Live controller

Discussion in 'OnLive on GoogleTV Forum' started by ericd, Apr 4, 2014.

1. ericd

ericd Active Member

I've been looking at the On Live controller a lot lately. It looks to be a perfect fit for my LG Google TV. Does anybody have any experience using the controller before I plunk down the $60 on it? Also, is there anywhere (preferably Amazon or a brick and mortar) where I can purchase the controller, at a comparable price, other than the On Live site?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hey. whatever you decide, remember you can always return it. Especially if you use Amazon. I know a few idiots here will say that this hurts Amazon sales. Only a sales illiterate would even think of that in today's age of mass marketing.

I tried out every GTV device w/the exception of the Asus Cube. That would have been a waste of time & postage.

USB controllers are the way to go...

Carl

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Go ahead and name the idiots and reference the posts. I am not sure why you persist in posting this kind drivel but the last time I challenged you to support a similar claim, you came up with nothing as I expected. I happen to believe that it is irresponsible to buy something because it can be returned if you purchased it on a lark hoping it might work for some unintended purpose but doesn't. I also believe products should be researched before purchase. Returns should be because the item is not as described or doesn't work properly, returns are a burden on retailers and as a customer, I believe I owe retailers good faith.

It does not surprise me that you purchased several Google TV models and returned them. I purchased several different models, understood what they were capable of before purchase, want the things I can do with them, continue to use them and haven't returned any of them.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ericd

ericd Active Member

I went with a used one off Ebay. The auction just ended last night, I've never ordered from Ebay so I'm not sure how long it'll take to get the controller. I'll let you guys know how well the controller works once it gets here

5. Carlszone

Hi Chris

If companies want a guarantee of customers not returning electronics they would say so in their return policy. Vizio had a policy of no returns except in the case of defective units. Then they went right ahead and sold more defective units than any other GTV device. At least one person I know of got 3 defective units. Then there were others whose units worked for months only to stop working shortly after the warrantee expired. Luckily, Vizio replaced most of the units w/little hassle. I chose not to gamble on getting a working unit and returned it. Why should I have to go through the trouble of repeatedly setting up a device that may or may not work. Junk in/junk out.

The Pulse performed so poorly it might as well have been defective. The fact that it was not defective speaks volumes to the flawed hardware that I had every right to return. Btw, I was not referring to you personally.

But now that you mention it...

Carl

6. Carlszone

Hi Ya'll

Hey, I'm looking for a more pleasant interaction about the things that differentiate us. I feel I have a right to try out any internet access device offered on the market as long as the return policy guarantees a free return. But you say, (and now I am addressing my comments to Chris, as I wasn't doing it before his hostile post) I am causing havoc in the market by trying a GTV device and then not liking it causing these miscreants trouble by an unexpected return.

Most consumers are NOT stupid! Corporate law is ruled by certain parameters to level the playing field. Since a corporate entity is now given the equivalent legal rights of a human person even if they are only an internet entity w/no soul, the policies reflect that. GTV is not a product that the majority of internet users ever asked for. But if ya wanna play a major part of my entertainment system, ya gotta introduce yerself in a way I accept. I'm your freaking guinea pig! As such I must have the right to a no vote in your endeavor if it diminishes my entertainment system in any way!

The GTV enterprise has done exactly that. But I still enjoy one of the devices that lived up to my limited expectations. In every enterprise the usual but not mandatory requirement has always been to serve the least of these my brethren. Who are they??? People who want in the most simplistic ways I can describe, an internet experience that is not hampered by the false claims of any internet access device! That's why we are here wasting precious time arguing the various GTV devices that haven't lived up to our expectations.

That said, we don't seek out lawsuits for their failure. We try and find that one device on this platform that works for us. In order to do that, we have to have a certain level of assurance that when these new devices that we have to test for ourselves, fail!!!, we can return them w/out loss to ourselves.

So, I still say don't be stupid & persuaded by corporate infiltrators that demand we keep whatever device we buy. The company can change their TOS rules at any time as many of us learned from Web/MSNTV.

There is another aspect to this scenario... Companies don't want us to keep a device we are not satisfied with. Most companies selling us the one new device have found many of us loyal to their other products. Jeez, Sony has on record millions of dollars I and others have spent on their most successful devices. I asked them about the Chris claim.

They laughed their asses off. Now these were just CSRs. But think about it. We provide the revenue for them to exist in their current jobs Ya know what the average CSR said???

Dude, we don't give a ****!!! If you hate the product. You will annoy us beyond the recommended support allocations pre-established for each customer. Duh!

Do I have to explain this??? Returning a product is less painful or expensive than keeping it and overloading their support lines which costs more per call than the product itself. Geeze, the freaking product is a $99.00-$149.00 investment. The customer service for the disgruntled user can reach over $3,000.00. And the bad reviews can actually kill the product & effect other corporate sales in the future.

Hey, even E-bay will demand the return of certain products that failed to live up to the buyers expectations, that's why Ebay & Amazon are the preferred buying method in this electronic age.

I rest my case...

Carl

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  7. ericd

ericd Active Member

Holy thread-jacking Batman, I must commend you for the rather wordy post that somehow manages to not once mention the On Live service or even the On Live controller .

In an attempt to steer this ship back on course...The controller shipped today, should be here next week. I researched the controller, it's stated to work with Google TV (wireless USB dongle included). If the controller works (powers up) and is in the pictured condition(or not unreasonably damaged), I can't see myself seeking a return.

IMO, ordering 4-5 similar items with plans to return all but the one I prefer is irresponsible on my part. If an item works and arrives to me as advertised but for whatever reason doesn't fit my needs, I just take it as a lesson learned and eat the loss. I don't presume a business should have to take the loss for my mistake.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Carlszone

LOL!!

Then you have just changed the laws of supply & demand. Not only in this country, but the world over. Please don't be disappointed if the majority of consumers look at you as doing exactly the opposite of not only failing to protect your own interests, but our economy. Business is all we have.

Balance is not an option, it is the golden standard of free enterprise...

But, thank you for your opinion.

Take Care

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  9. ericd

ericd Active Member

You're definetly not alone in your opinion, although I disagree, I understand where you're coming from. I believe it's more of a generational difference. I'm a little old-fashioned and believe in standing up, and owning my mistakes. If I order (or buy) something that isn't exactly what I needed, I just suck-it-up and take it as a learning experience (but then I also have a closet full of crap I can't use).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  10. Carlszone

Okay, but I hope you don't mind that you make me feel sad. Corporations buy & sell us at will.

You alone know your potential...

Carl

11. ericd

ericd Active Member

Please don't feel sad for me, I sleep quite well at night. In fact, when I view my crap closet full of poor decisions, I do it with a sense of pride. I paid for my indescretions out of my own pocket and didn't force others to help pay for my mistakes.

What is truely sad is that you don't think you're doing anything wrong when you unnecessarily tie up retailers resources with multiple returns. Is what your doing legal?... Yeah, I guess. Is it acceptable in todays society?... Sadly, yes it is, but the real question you have to ask yourself is... is it right?

12. Carlszone

LOL!

Enough! As you said, the topic is Onlive on GTV. All threads detour. But let us get back on topic. You guys win. If only to end this crazy obsession to protect the rights of free enterprise.

My apologies...

Seriously!

Carl

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Carlszone

So, have you got the controller?

14. ericd

ericd Active Member

Thursday, I had to wait for my paypal payment to clear and then it's shipping by USPS

15. ericd

ericd Active Member

Controller arrived today, $35 used off E-bay +$5 shipping. Controller looks really nice and has a similar feel to the X box 360. The sticks aren't offset but feel real nice. Comes with a rechargeable battery pack and another empty pack that uses 2 AA batteries. Pairing and syncing were easy using the included USB dongle. Once paired, the controller can actually control the TV pretty smoothly and can be used in conjunction with the LG's remote.

So far I've tried the controller with Heroes of Loot and Zombie Gunship. HOL controlled really nice but ZG didn't fare so well. I still need to use the LG's air mouse to start the game and move the reticule around the screen. The controllers buttons do work the fire and select weapons options so it's at least playable now.

I'll try out the controller with a couple other games this weekend and see how well it does with some different games

16. luuquangvu128

luuquangvu128 New Member