Quantcast

Omni Gif,the first gif player to be compatible with Google TV!

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by retroben, Dec 30, 2013.

1. retroben

retroben Active Member

You might notice that there is a new app in the Google TV Play Store if you search for "gif viewer" from within the Play Store app.

I am proud to have finally revealed the BIG thing I was talking about,the first and best all-around gif player available directly from the Google TV Play Store app.
    I've been helping the developer of Omni Gif to not only have him add many new features,and improvements to other features,but to also make it fully compatible for Google TV devices.
    It used to only support devices with NDK,but now it can be used on Google TV!

Just search "gif viewer" from within the Play Store app to see "Omni Gif Player free" as the first result.
    My recommended settings is on,off,off,on to view gifs at their smoothest framerate.
    It does happen to have ads,but they are very minor,and are don't really take much of the screen.
    Remember my certain earlier post about ads?

Please rate Omni Gif fairly,as the developer has worked so hard on the vast amount of features that it now has.

But alas,there is one GTV exclusive issue caused by the view pager feature that the developer is currently trying to fix.

They are not bad enough to cause force closing.
    Omni Gif has never once force closed with me.
    The issue is that the gif animation freezes if you try to swipe the gif whether view pager is on or not.
    This is caused by the mere existence of view pager,and does not cause anything else to happen.
    You can easily back out of the current gif then re-select it to make it play again.

The developer needs assistance from other GTV users to help test Omni Gif so he can more easily fix the issues caused by View Pager and possible other problems.

So anyone willing to help can reply in this topic or PM me saying so.
    Or you could even reach him at gmail from his mailto address on the Google Play web site.

I hope everyone has a splendid time using the app!

2. retroben

retroben Active Member

I used Omni Gif before using the benchmark exploit.

Before I did the benchmark exploit,it was really fast.
    After the benchmark exploit,its still fast,but now its even faster.
    I have tested several builds from him with no real issues other than the animation freezing issue.

The version of Omni Gif on the Play Store app is a unique SDK only version just for Google TV.
    Despite View Pager,It is the most stable app I have ever used since it never force closes or glitches in any way,and its interface is lagless.
    Frame-by-frame disables frame skipping on gif playback,making the gifs play perfectly smooth.
    Since even the best GTV device is limited (Anti-Aliasing at other sizes lags/skips),some gifs will be a tiny bit slower
    than full speed with frame-by-frame,while most other gifs (even larger ones) will run an astounding amount faster
    than normal speed with the speed set to its highest.
    Sideways rotations will go a little slower due to how complex it is.

Again,if you are willing to help the developer fix the view pager issue,say so with a reply in this thread,in a PM to me,or send the developer an email through the Chrome Browser.

For anyone that is having Gmail's missing inbox issue with GTV's Chrome Browser,you can make your received emails appear like they should have by clicking the inbox button.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Sounds great. I don't think I need this app but it is always good news to see a new Google TV app.

4. retroben

retroben Active Member

The developer has recently fixed half of the issue in the latest test build I received.
    Now it only freezes the animation from swiping at gifs when View Pager is actually enabled.
    Leave it disabled to view gifs with no problems at all.

The real name of the setting is...

"Page View of GIF Files"

I hope it gets updated in the Play Store soon.

5. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

Retroben thanks for the great news...

I don't find the APP in the Google-Play-Store...

Could you Upload the APK to the BOX or post the APP Google-Play-Store Link?

Thanks in advance!

6. ChrisG8

7. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

8. retroben

retroben Active Member

@ulises1954:I have bad timing.

Omni Gif free has a small,non-intrusive ad banner,while Omni Gif PRO is ad-free with no additional features.
    You can not expect MORE features than what the free version already provides because of the vast amount of features to begin with.

There is actually TWO versions of Omni Gif free on the same app page in the Play Store.
    One is the original version with NDK while the other one is the SDK 2.5.x_GTV version tailor-made for your Google TV.
    He could have already updated it to 2.5.4_GTV which half-fixes the gif freeze caused by view pager by making it not freeze when view pager is disabled.
    The key difference between the NDK and GTV's SDK versions is the gif decoders for displaying gifs.

Try searching for Omni Gif again with gif,gif viewer,omni,or "omni gif" (without the quotation marks) in the Play Store app of your Google TV.
    If your search results branch to multiple categories,you should obviously go to the "apps" category.
    I really hope you can find it with your Google TV,as the only way to get the working GTV version of Omni Gif is to get it from the GTV's Play Store app.

You will not need the GTV version if you have one of those expensive LGs with the JellyBean update.

Edit:I can also confirm that USB storage appears in the list viewing mode.

You should make sure to have a decent amount of RAM remaining,and to close other apps while using.
    Remember to leave the "page view of GIF files" feature disabled,as it still freezes gif animation while also hogging tons of RAM.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  9. retroben

retroben Active Member

BUMP for info.

Search "cucumber" in the Play Store app to make Omni Gif stand out.
    I know it sounds weird,but it was effective for me.

Omni Gif free is finally updated to the 2.5.4_GTV version.
    If you check the about page in Omni Gif,you will see a rather interesting detail.
    The PRO version is now also available for Google TV if you want it to be ad free.

You can let me know if you have any new issues with Omni Gif so I can also tell the developer.
    I was told to use a logging app such as alogcat to help him try to fix the view pager issues.

10. bobz

bobz Member

What does this app do????? Can someone fill me in..please.

11. ChrisG8

12. retroben

retroben Active Member

Omni Gif has been updated to the 2.5.5_GTV version.
    Remember that you can only get it in the Play Store app on a Google TV device.
    If you ever get the JellyBean update,don't fret because the original version of Omni Gif should then work for you.

Changes:
    *added next/previous arrows in GIF playback
    *added share button in GIF playback

Omni Gif is literally the best GIF viewer out there,and the main highlight is that it supports Google TV!
    The biggest feature that no other gif viewer seems to have is frame-by-frame animation.

Frame-by-frame,or FBF, causes gifs to play at a skipless framerate,causing a much smoother gif playback.
    On my GS7,most of my gifs,even some larger ones,are capable of going faster than normal speed while FBF is enabled.

The only issue for GTV is that the "Page View of GIF files" feature does not work right,so make sure it is disabled.
    Luckily,the previous/next GIF feature has recently been added to the 2.5.5_GTV update.
    For those concerned about performance,leave Anti-Aliasing disabled for the fastest speed.
    Leave the rotation option checked so the rotation works,as GTV does not support orientation changing.

My settings are:
    Frame by frame mode=on
    Page view of GIF files=off
    Anti-Aliasing when rendering GIF=off
    Rotate Gif instead of screen=on
    Gif image initial scale=Always keep original size

I hope for everyone to try Omni Gif and love it!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  13. retroben

retroben Active Member

OmniGif has been updated to 3.0.3_GTV with a new UI and online GIF sources.

There is one minor issue,the menus can sometimes have layering issues where the settings will not show up when in a local folder.
    It will also exit when hitting back after causing the issue,instead of going to the parent directory.
    Other than that,it runs seamlessly despite our lack of RAM.