Quantcast

Old Men and New Technology Don't Always Mix

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by SofaKingSlow, Dec 28, 2012.

1. SofaKingSlow

SofaKingSlow New Member

I got a Logitech Revue for Father's Day. I love it. Bear with me, though, because here is where my confusion begins. I have digital-copy movies scattered all over the place. A dozen or so iTunes m4v's and one or two mp4's on an external HD, two or three on UltraViolet, and one on Vudu. My desktop is an iMac with Logitech Media Server installed and running. My Revue and my Galaxy Tab are both running LMS but cannot locate any of my movies.
    What I would like to do is put ALL of my digital copies in one directory on my external HD, point LMS to that directory and access ANY movie from ANY device. Am I asking too much? Am I going about this the wrong way? Why does this have to be so difficult?
    I am not afraid to mess with the router, if any settings need adjusted. If it helps, it is a Netgear WDNR3700v2. Everything is a wired connection, minus those devices that are wireless-only.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Ha, I am a 60 year old Google TV user. I don't have digital copies of movies, my only files are TiVo and PlayLater DVR recordings easily accessed around the house so I can't help setting up easy access of UV and other digital copies but hopefully someone else can. I can say Vudu is one of the most requested Google TV needs and I suspect if that service is added to Google TV, that would help your situation a lot. I use Vudu to rent movies and fortunately have a few players around the house to handle Vudu rentals.

3. malaugh

malaugh New Member

Hi ,am a new user also, Santa dropped a Sony NSZ-GS7 down the chimney. I an a PC guy and also run LMS server for my music collection.
    I am going through the same pain as you. I do not have all the answers, but you need to look at devices that support DLNA. I added a Twonky DLNA server to my PC, and installed aVia player on the Google TV. I can browse all the music pictures and videos on my server, and play them on the TV. Its not perfect, the filing is a mess, and the pictures are slow to load. The other software you should look at is Plex, its a proprietary solution like LMS. With such a variety of files it may be difficult to find software that can play all your different formats.