Quantcast

Old Android

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by lunapark, Feb 9, 2014.

1. lunapark

lunapark Member

Hi

Im having a Sony NSZ-GS7 and Im beginning to be annoyed about the old version of Android its running.
    Its preventing me from getting the new Apps on the market.

Its running Honeycomb 3.2

Is there any way how to get never versions of Android on this box ??

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The only way I am aware of is having Sony & Google update the Google TV Android version. The LG Google TV models are running Android 4.2.2 and I believe eventually the Sony NSZ-GS7/GS8 will be updated but there has been no official announcement of if or when as far as I know.

3. twospirits

twospirits Member

• Like Like x 6
  4. lunapark

lunapark Member

Yeah lets hope we'll get some officials updates soon...

But I thought maybe there would be some unofficial ways to get never updates...

5. retroben

retroben Active Member

Let's just hope CJ Heres and the GTVHacker team will be there for us with that JellyBean NDK mod if Sony screws us over.

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Sony still has at least one current model, the NSZ-GU1 and the NSZ-GS8 might still be considered a current model, it certainly isn't very old. With current models, I would think those should be updated and since the NSZ-GS7 is the same hardware as the GS8, it should be updated as well. All of this is nothing more than my opinion, I don't have a crystal ball and I am not a psychic but it makes sense to me.

7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I think Sony will probably update the NSZ-GS7/8 to Jellybean. However that will probably be the last major update for those devices. Also I don't think Sony will ever open up the bootloader for those devices.

8. Travel

Travel Active Member

Doesn't look good for the update. I didn't realize that Sony's TV division was in that bad of shape. Sony's laying off 5,000 employees. Wonder how many are in GoogleTV. I wouldn't be surprised at this point, considering that article, if Sony announces that they're pulling support of TV/internet boxes.

If they've already been working on the update for the GS7 for a while, then maybe they'll go through with it though.

At least there's the Pulse Pro that will ship with the Android 4.2.2 update; no law saying we can't run both boxes.

9. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The Sony NSZ-GS7/8 is not part of Sony's television division - it's part of their 'Home Theater' division. The home theater division puts out devices such as blu-ray players. Sony has 4 new blu-ray players scheduled for upcoming release in 2014 (but currently no new GTV devices are scheduled for release in 2014).

10. Travel

Travel Active Member

I didn't say the GS7 was in any specific division. The point obviously is that Sony is taking action with their losing products and no longer willing to subsidize the costs. If Sony is fed up with poor TV sales, they have to be that much more disappointed in GS7 sales. "Get it"?

11. shadowdog3

shadowdog3 New Member

Hopefully for the better, like have them pay attention to they're product [Google TV]. We could damn use the KitKat update, and other updating to the AI...

12. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Why do we need KitKat again? Wouldn't it suffice to just have the GTV use a superset of the same NDK as other Android devices? It's not Android 3.2 that seems the to be the problem. Plenty of good apps could run on it if developers could access the hardware in a more common way. For me it would just be great if we could get better video players and that does not require the latest OS.

Philip

Sent from my GT-N5110

13. retroben

retroben Active Member

We will need at least ICS because developers are screwing us over with updates that are locked to 4.0 and up.

I once tried updating Gallery ICS on my GS7,but I got the parse error.
    I went to the app's Play Store page and sure enough,the required Android version was 4.0,or something higher.
    The main design of this app (if I am correct) is to be like the stock Gallery for ICS without requiring that version of Android.
    What about the GingerBread users?

This is useless to me now because I have two very old but outstanding image viewing apps that work on GTV.
    They are Comitto and JJComics.

I still strongly hope that Sony releases the update for our GS7/GS8 systems.

14. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Well I certainly hope, and expect, that Sony will upgrade their GS7/8. They have to make sure that their customers don't lose more than they gain by doing so.

Philip

15. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

At this point I rather have Kit Kat then ICS. Being that it is less resource intensive, which would benefit the GTV'S a lot more.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

16. retroben

retroben Active Member

Android KitKat also has OpenGL ES3 support from one of JellyBean's updates.

I wonder if it will also have the ahead-of-time enhancement which is supposed to make apps run WAY faster in comparison to JIT.

17. Travel

Travel Active Member

Yes, that's one of the benefits of the KitKat update. Another is that it's supposed to provide the HTML5 based system with DRM.

I'm planning on getting the Hisense "Pulse Pro" that ships with the Android 4.2.2 update, which would already be in a good position for the KitKat update. If Sony does upgrade the GS7, I'll have one or the other as a back-up box. I'd prefer that Sony upgrades, as it's a higher quality company than Hisense, but I'm also tired of waiting.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  18. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

I agree, we all prefer that Sony upgrades the NSZ-GS7/GS8, and yes it's a higher quality company than Hisense, but I'm also very, very tired for the extremely long waiting.

19. retroben

retroben Active Member

It all comes down to the remotes and optional controls really.

We need a comparison screenshot of the new Hisense Pulse Pro's remote next to the GS7 or GS8 remote.
    EDIT:Nevermind,Hisense Pulse Pro's remote sucks because it lacks a keyboard for the JellyBean+NDK's capability of games.

Currently,I feel that the GS7/GS8 have the best remote/s since they are easy to generally use and even have keyboard back-lighting.
    Despite that,my GS7 remote has keyboard input issues,especially with the letter "t" as well as other problematic buttons.

EDIT: Damn it Sony!

Sony better update their GS7/GS8 boxes!
    I PAID FULL PRICE FOR MY GS7 FROM TARGET! FULL PRICE!!!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014