Quantcast

Oh no....

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Maxxsterling, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Maxxsterling

Maxxsterling New Member

Hey all!
    So, I ordered my GTV from Dish (for the discount). Waited while they figured out when it would get shipped out and I got it on Wednesday around 8pm. Waited and watched all day for the UPS guy and then when I figured it was too late, he came!

Spent about 30 minutes setting everything up. I have a Mitsubishi 73" DLP and it hooked up to that no problem. Have a Dish 722k receiver, it recognized that no problem. I have an older bookshelf-type AV setup, it didn't recognize that, but I just skipped it after it couldn't find it in its list. Not a big deal I thought, I'll just hook up the IR blaster later or just use the one audio remote if I HAVE to...

A word about the setup though. Even though it did find the tv and STB with no problem, it did have a problem when first trying to connect. I would type in what the model number was and it would say it had problems connecting. I would have to hit Retry 2-3 times before it would eventually figure it out and move on to the next step. I actually think this ended up adding close to 15 minutes to how long it took to set-up. However as a complete Google convert, I was mostly ok with this. Hey, there's gonna be a few kinks when you're an early adopter right?

Played with it most of the night from about 8:45pm till 4am. Loved it! Started setting some bookmarks in Chrome, looking up some Podcasts, just getting used to the experience and figuring out how to do things that I would want it to do.

I had to put it down at 4 due to having to leave for 2 days due to work. Hopped on a plane by 8am and returned last night (Friday). When I came in, my wife said, "Hey, the tv isn't working". I went to take a look and just found a simple grey screen. Not snow or anything, just a solid grey almost like a background fill. So, I reset the GTV, changed my cables, hooked up just the Dish to see if it was the Dish receiver. All of those things were fine. When resetting, I would get the black Logitech Google Tv splash screen and then it would just go to grey. Spent about 30 minutes this morning with a Logitech Support lady who made me go through all those steps to be sure that it was more than just a cabling problem. They escalated my claim and told me that an engineer would call me in 1-2 business days to further troubleshoot with me.

I'm SO frustrated because it's been almost nothing but problems with this thing so far. Don't get me wrong, when it worked, I was loving it!! And I am a total Google fanboy, I'm not just looking to bash GTV for any alterior motive. Even with all the problems, I'm still excited about this and I have a feeling that this is more of a Logitech problem, than a Google one, but I can't be sure until someone who knows more about it than I do can take a look at it.

I'm not going to return it or anything (unless it needs to to get fixed) and I look forward to getting a good working model and playing some more with it....

Those of you who got yours and it's working well, be grateful!!
    *sigh*

Maxx

2. JimMariner

JimMariner Member

Good Luck Maxx, Keep us up on how it all turns out. And what ever solution they come up for you.

I hear my Revue is still working at home, but not in my hands. I won't see it for another week and a half :(

3. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

That's a bummer deal. Sorry to hear that. I agree with Jim, keep all of us posted so if it ever happens to somebody else, there is more info. available.
    I on the otherhand got lucky. Had it up and running in 10-15 mins. with no problems.
    Though I have to admit, I am NOT a Google or pc fanboy whatsoever, it IS working better than I anticipated it would.. Very happy so far minus the scrolling, all is GREAT!!

4. shyamsu

shyamsu New Member

Did you find out what happened? I started having this issue from today morning. Reset is also not working.

5. sparkyscott21

If you are having problems resetting your GTV, If it is a Logitech Revue, you can reset by holding in the pairing button on the back of your box.
    It will however, set the box back to the factory defaults.
    Another way with menu is
    google tv home go to apps>settings>about select factory data reset, click reset device>erase everything.. That will also lose your settings to factory settings default.
    I hope that was help and if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.. Scott

6. shyamsu

shyamsu New Member

Logitech revue --> I tried reset by holding in the pairing button in the back but that did not solve this grey screen problem. I also removed the setbox (vip622 dvr) hdmi cable from the revue box but no luck.

7. sparkyscott21

Also make sure you held the button on back for at least 10 seconds or a little longer..
    Also, did you try the menu reset??
    If that doesn't work, you might also like unplug the unit for a few minutes as well.

8. shyamsu

shyamsu New Member

Thanks for the help.

yes, i did hold that reset button for 20 secs. I tried unpluging the unit but no luck. I also removed all the cables except for hdmi out from revue to tv

Regarding the menu reset--> nothing appears on tv and so I cannot do this. I see just the simple grey color screen {even after reset and reboot}

9. sparkyscott21

On your keyboard, press ctrl+alt+del to reboot.
    If that don't work double check the settings and inputs

10. shyamsu

shyamsu New Member

but it was working until yesterday night. it stopped working all of a sudden today morning.

11. sparkyscott21

Another idea, call Logitech and talk to a csr....
    Unless you got it working?

12. shyamsu

shyamsu New Member

I did call them but they could not solve the problem. Then I reached out to the forums. I think I will return the box to dish tomorrow if I do not find the solution.

13. sparkyscott21

I am sorry you are having this problem. I am looking around to help find an answer for you, but, the resources are somewhat limited this new in the game with these boxes.

14. pcandroid

pcandroid New Member

Is your TV working in its original setup, pre google tv.

15. joeyspindler

joeyspindler New Member

I had the exact same thing happen to me. fortunately I was still within my 30 day window of buying it at Best Buy. I simply did a exchange for it. No questions asked. I have had the new one for a week or so and seems to be working with no problem so far.

16. 78racing

78racing New Member

Did you try connecting the Google TV to another HDMI port? I have seen many devices cause this lately. Try another port and if that works consult your tv manual, there should be some info on how to reset the port that the Google TV was originally plugged in to.

17. shyamsu

shyamsu New Member

update : my revue started working again today. I did not do anything. I switched off the revue box yesterday night to ship it off to dish network. But today morning I gave it one final shot and connected the revue back to tv. Voila, it started working again!!

Keeping my fingers crossed!!

18. sparkyscott21

That's great news that it is working again.
    I just wonder why all of a sudden it would start working again??
    Did you do anything to it at all afterwards??
    It might do it again, I'm just saying, warranty and all. Maybe a defective box when it gets warm???
    Please keep us posted on your box if you would.. Glad it's working for ya..

19. Maxxsterling

Maxxsterling New Member

Hey all!
    Wow, glad to see that people are able to use my post to figure things out...
    Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you about my particular problem...I work for one of the networks that is blocking GTV and we're moving from one building to another right now...kinda hectic...
    ANYWAY, an update for my situation...
    I called and talked to Logitech CSR and they were very helpful and nice...after waiting to hear back from them, I called by myself after 4 business days...
    The person I spoke to told me that they were able to replicate the same problem I was having with the same model TV that I had...they said they would work on a patch and let me know when it became available....
    I waited a week (I know, not enough time really, but its frustrating when you have this big old tv, and a new device and you can't use it), called back and there was still no new news....
    I have an older Sony Bravia, and so I decided to try GTV out on it, just to see if it really is the tv as a problem, and it does work on the Bravia....
    I saw some of the posts here and am glad that other peoples are working....I just can't use the Bravia long term as it's upstairs and doesn't actually have a Dish receiver up there....I'm currently just using the Bravia for the GTV, but I want the full Dish intergration!!! </end whine>
    In any case, I'll hold onto it and wait for some kind of patch I guess...I'll call back every 2 weeks or so...hopefully it will get sorted out....
    Good luck to us all!!
    MaXx.... =)

20. sparkyscott21

Glad to hear thing are going in the right direction. At least we now know that the GTV box is working well, that it is not the box itself.
    I also hope that GTV works on the patches, and gets things rolling for you.
    It is good to hear back from you with this update,, as others with similar problems may also learm from this as well.