Quantcast

OH NO! Spilled Beer in my logitech revue keyboard!

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by asscore, Mar 20, 2012.

1. asscore

asscore New Member

So, apparently some beer was spilled on the d-pad of my revue. This caused some buttons not to work.

I figure, no problem, I will open up the keyboard and clean the contacts with 91% rubbing alcohol.

So I open up the keyboard. This thing is not meant to be serviceable in any way,shape, or form. As soon as you have it open, there are two ribbon connectors that have to be removed.

Then there are a series of screwes that can be removed... I assumed this would let me actually remove the actual matrix of keys. Wrong. The screws are just there for structural rigidity. When the screws are removed you still cant remove the key matrix because it is welded in place with plastic rivets. Alot of them.

So as one last ditch effort I put everything back together. With a q-tip i started soaking the dpad in alcohol and then drying it. I did this several times, with improvement each time. I got it to the point where the dpad worked just fine, and all the other buttons worked fine except for the letter E and the backspace key.

I figure, ok, I must be getting close, lets try one more alcohol wash.

Everything has been downhill from there. You hit keys and random stuff happens. Hitting down acts as backspace. Press the right button and a message comes up saying it switched from pcm to ac3 sound, etc.

ANyone have any advice for me?

I really dont like the ideal of having to shell out $50 for a keyboard, when I bought the entire revue unit brand new for $80.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

3. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

I've had a number of Keyboards and all of them except the one I'm currently using were baptized in beer, water, or coffee at some time or other. I've found that the best thing to do is NOTHING! Just let the keyboard sit and eventually it will dry out. Having a 2nd KB is not a bad idea. I just wait it out. Test it out every few hours and shake any excess fluid out. Eventually the keys will return to normal unless you dropped it in your bathwater. Then all bets are off.

Carl

4. asscore

asscore New Member

Well, I hope you are right! I just tried out the keyboard for the first time in a few days, and it is better than last time but still screwey.

The only thing that worries me is that I didnt so much spill the beer in the keys, but all over the directional pad and control keys.

5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Yes. It will take a few days. Just don't do anything drastic. One user put a KB in the microwave. Another tried a blow dryer. No need to expound on the negative results. I used to have one of those large mugs. It tipped over directly on the KB. It took a week, but afterward it lasted another two years. Longer than the actual system remained a viable means of accessing the internet.

Good Luck

Carl