Quantcast

Official Request To "GTV-Issues" For Flash 11 - (Please Vote)

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Oct 2, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi all. I made an official request for Flash 11 on GTV devices - at the "GTV Issues" web page for GTV code developers. Please go to that page (see link below) and click to "star" that feature request. The stars are in the column on the left side. Just click on the star. The request for Flash 11 is item #84. This is something that will improve GTV for everybody. Thank you:

Issues - googletv-issues - Google TV Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  2. callanish

callanish Member

Just added my backing to your request. Hopefully someone at Google will consider it a priority.

• Like Like x 2
  3. CatfishRivers

The project member "shawns" at the Google Issues web page posted a comment concerning my request. Very terrible news for GTV IMO Here's his reply (see below):

"Comment 2 by project member shawns...@google.com, Today (10 minutes ago) Thanks for the feedback. Flash eventually will be deprecated on Google TV and developers are encouraged to use HTML5 videos.

Sites like PBS that require Flash 11 don't work on Google TV. No Flash 11 update is expected. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you have it folks. -:( No way will I be spending money on a second generation GTV box now (with this new information about Google not updating Flash). HTML5 is far from being ready for prime time. Flash is still everywhere on the web. If I was a GTV partner (device manufacturer) - I'd be really pissed off about this.

4. CatfishRivers

Interesting. It appears as though Google has deleted inquiry #84 (about my Flash 11 request) - along with all of the comments from inquiry #84. I reckon after Google had a few minutes to think about it - they decided that leaving it up would potentially harm GTV sales and piss off Sony & Vizio.

The thing about HTML5 apps is that the GTV user base is so small - that not enough developers want to be bothered with developing apps for GTV. How many major new apps from content sources have been added to GTV since the Honeycomb update? Miniscule if any.....

In the meantime Flash is still by far the predominant way most web sites offer their web videos for streaming. Flash content is still king on the internet.

So what we have is a lack of GTV app development for any significant new content - along with a shrinking amount of content available from web sites (that are leaving GTV behind by updating to Flash 11). GTV needs Flash 11 to bridge the gap. Heck even some excellent YouTube videos require Flash 11 now. HTML5 is not yet ready for prime time.

IMO not very good........

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just checked my email and Google sent me the following message about my Flash request:

"Status: Not Feasible

Owner: ----

Closed: Today"

5. guest

guest Active Member

[The] technology is advancing. There must be some other non-Google-branded device on the horizon (12 months out) that has all the necessary bells and whistles. No?

6. CatfishRivers

I'm thinking about buying a Samsung Chromebox and connecting it to my TV. It will have the latest desktop Flash version available all the time as a special plug-in to the Chrome browser. (It's called the "Pepper" API for Chrome). The Chromebox can get Hulu, HBO GO, PBS, etc. I don't trust these android TV devices flooding the market from China. I'm in no hurry - just gonna lay low for a bit and see how it all shakes out -:)

Here's a link to an Adobe blog about the Pepper API for the Chrome browser:

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/...gle-partnering-for-flash-player-on-linux.html

7. CatfishRivers

I found out that even though thread #84 (about Flash 11) on the GTV Issues web site is now listed as "Not Feasible" (and no longer considered an open issue) - that the thread still exists and can be accessed by searching for "all issues" instead of "open issues" on their web site. Thread #84 already has 8 stars and a bunch of comments. It can be accessed now directly from the following link:

Issue 84 - googletv-issues - Requesting Flash 11 - Google TV Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even though Google doesn't consider the Flash update to be an open issue - you can still vote (by starring it) and leave comments. Hey the Star Trek TV series was brought back after it was cancelled (because of the big public uproar and complaints) - So I suppose one should never say never? -:)

8. CatfishRivers

Absolutley brilliant! (a touch of sarcasm here). I just tried to watch a free movie on YouTube with the Chrome browser and it won't play because I get the message that I need to update my Flash. -:( Check out the link to the movie:

You would think that out of all the web sites in the whole wide world - the ONE web site that Google would make sure functions in an excellent manner with GTV would be YouTube.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: Well a bit of good news - PBS.org is fully functional again with Google TV. Check it out -:) It appears as though PBS made a change to their web site today and they are no longer requiring Flash 11. I hope that it stays this way.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  9. CatfishRivers

The Google TV developers have been taking a lot of "heat" from GTV users complaining about GTV not being updated to Flash 11. Recently the Google TV development team made a post and are referring "complainers" to an Adobe blog and telling people to take it up with Adobe:

Issue 84 - googletv-issues - Requesting Flash 11 - Google TV Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting

From the Google TV Issues web site:

"Comment 15 by project member kri...@google.com, Today (2 hours ago)

You will need to take the issue up with Adobe. Please refer to: http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmedia/2012/06/impact-on-android-video-delivery/ "

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  10. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Google already knows it is almost unanimous, Google TV users want the latest version of Adobe Flash and I assume Adobe knows that as well. What I can't see is anything that can make it happen, posts on blogs or user requests sent to the companies involved are not going to do anything. I would like to be able to spin straw into gold but nothing I can tell spinning wheel manufacturers is going to help me get a spinning wheel that can accomplish that task. I hope Flash 11 Google TV will happen but I think it is slightly more likely I will figure out how to spin straw into gold.

11. thechosenone23

thechosenone23 New Member

Hi, newby here.

I spent almost 2 hours trying to fix this. This is B.S. I'm really disappointed.

12. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

I went a head and added my vote for NDK support (item # 12)

13. guest

guest Active Member

14. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

Don't understand why they don't update it. Other Android devives have flash 11, why can't gtv?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

15. CatfishRivers

It looks like another very good web site has "bit-the-dust" in terms of GTV compatibility. I used to like to watch the live streams on Filmon. But now when I go to their web site it says that I need to update my Flash plug-in. (Of course there is no way for GTV users to update Flash on their own - it can only be accomplised with an OS update from Google):

Watch Streaming Movies and live TV in HD. Watch Football and Compare us to Hulu, Zattoo and TVCatchup.

It seems that the available amount of overall content for GTV continues to shrink as more and more sites switch to Flash 11. Web sites have not been switching much at all to HTML5 yet - and there has really been nothing to speak of in terms of content added via apps to the GTV platform. If Flash 11 isn't the answer - then Google claims that apps and HTML5 are the answer. But this is not happening (yet) .......

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  16. Greenenergyassessors

Greenenergyassessors New Member

17. guest

guest Active Member

Vote early and vote often!

Are there any other issues that we should be starring in this list?

18. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I have posted your request in all my major threads, keep up the good work ... We need the sports sites back, thanks a ton and a truck load ...

• Like Like x 4
  19. chopper

chopper Active Member

You got my vote. I too am considering another TV option for my next device. So far I am thinking the Archos TV Connect is the front runner! Failing this option I guess the Nexus 7 looks good as a non TV device.

The Archos TV connect has a built in camera for Skype calls from the TV. It is full Android with a cool new remote that let's users to everything tablet users can do. The remote also includes gaming controls that are mappable. The Primetime App would probably not work but for users like me this is a non issue as this App is unavailable outside the USA anyway. There is however a non GTV Myth TV frontend app that could be used to integrate the TV and DVR experience into this device and it has the potential to be even better than Primetime.

The wide array of codec support on Archos devices could make this a GTV killer device. If they include flash support the final nail just might be hammered into the GTV coffin.

For those of you who just aren't ready to give up on GTV yet try joining Google + and posting your concerns on all GTV related communities/groups.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  20. chopper

chopper Active Member

This installed on my GTV:

*Adobe Flash APK*
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1279479&d=134

It may be a while before I get to test it out but it's flash 11.1 for the Nexus 7. I found this by watching the following vid at about the 20min mark and there is another paid App that may be required to get this working mentioned in that vid:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014