Quantcast

NxTV Smart TV Box?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ChrisG8, Dec 31, 2011.

1. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I can't figure out what it does or what it costs or what operating system it uses or which processor is used or what countries it is intended for. The only thing I know for sure is that it is another alleged Smart TV box to confuse the market and it uses a browser apparently Opera based. The ad makes no mention of USA marketing but looks like a product that would be available for the US. An NxTV search here came up with nothing so in case anybody is interested or can offer meaningful information about the product, I decided to start a thread.

http://www.nxter.com.sg/index.html

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. ChrisG8

I know the ad indicates it's free but I didn't bother to try to get one for free, that isn't possible obviously, so for starters there is a big problem with the ad.

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The "Terms and Conditions" link had a little information. Apparently, this is only available to the people of Singapore. There's a required one year refundable deposit for $91.76 (119 SGD) and a one time fee of $8.25 (10.70 SGD).

Also, the CPU is the
    Realtek 1185 which is a popular System On Chip(set) that is used by many media players in that part of the world. Here's a link to some of other media players which also use the RealTek 1xx5 series processors, "iboum.com : Future Entertainment Technology : HD Media Player Comparison Grid"

• Like Like x 2
  4. ChrisG8

Interesting, over 100 boxes using that processor although few of the companies are familiar names to me.

5. HDCowboy

HDCowboy New Member

Seems I can simply hook up my Android tablet via hdmi to my TV and have more features than a whole lot of these new smart tv boxes along with an android tablet to take with when I leave the house to boot! Even better I can hook up a cheap laptop or PC to my TV loaded with some HTPC & video programs and have a much better overall experience all together. It's a wonder Bill Gates aint alllready got involved and simply built a full fledged MS PC into a television and tried to put everyone else out of business like he does in every other market he tries to conquer.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011