Quantcast

Nvidia Shield v. ForgeTV

Discussion in 'nvidia Shield' started by Travel, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Travel

Travel Active Member

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The NVIDIA Shield appears to be a superior device compared to the Razer Forge. However neither device has HDMI IN or an officially supported web browser.

3. Travel

Travel Active Member

Looking forward to the Amazon reviews when they hit the shelves. Although mostly gamers will be buying at first, there could be info on how browser apps work. The professional write-ups will probably talk about what these boxes "do" other than the game aspects.

I'm hoping that sooner or later, with all the boxes coming out, one of them (app developer/manufacturer) will seriously address browser functionality on an android box.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  4. guest

guest Active Member

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Unless you are interesting in gaming and/or 4K, the Razer Forge TV looks like a much better deal to me at half the price. For 1080p and the Android TV OS, the Razer Forge TV should be excellent and I can't imagine the NVIDIA Shield will be any better.

6. Travel

Travel Active Member

Maybe, but I for one am tired of having under-powered devices, going all the way back to WebTV. They may be okay at first, but updates can change that easily enough.

Also, I haven't had a Nvidia product to know firsthand, but in one of the "comments" sections it was stated that Nvidia has a good reputation for updates, and Razer has the opposite reputation. You could get a GoogleTV box at half the price of the Sony GS7, but the GS7 was worth the difference in price.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Razer Forge TV certainly isn't underpowered for a streaming box, quite the opposite, as I am not aware of single streaming box available today with a processor as good and it also has 2GB RAM. It is overkill for a 1080p streaming box, the gaming aspects I can't comment on and I have no interest. It beats the Amazon Fire TV for processing power which absolutely blows away the most popular boxes, like Roku and Apple TV. Amazon Fire TV is an excellent streaming box and I am not sure the Razer Forge will be that good but it could be. I am not interested in either box personally but if Razer Forge TV is released to rave reviews, I could change my mind.

As far as hoping a box unintended for web browsing will make a good web browser, not likely in my experience. As far as NVIDIA or Razer being better in terms of timely updates or bug fixes for a streaming box, I doubt if either company is ready and both will struggle, at least for awhile.

8. Travel

Travel Active Member

I didn't say that the ForgeTV box can't stream well. I'm saying that the extra power of the Nvidia is a plus for future upgrade-compatible aspects and performance.

Reports on the side loading of a web browser on the Nexus box are positive. Improvements can happen fast.

If Nvidia has a good reputation for taking updates, over Razer, it's a plus for Nvidia. Why would it "struggle"any more than any other box if it's on the AndroidTV OS and with state-of-the-art specs?

It's the Nvida that's already getting the hands on review raves.

The hands on reviews state that the Nivida has a huge lead over all other boxes on graphics. This won't be just for gaming, it really has to be a plus for all streaming content and apps capabilities.

It seems the price of the ForgeTV box isn't really nailed down yet. And if it is "half the price" of the Nvidia, we're only talking another $99.

The good deal seems to me to be the fact that, for another $99, you can get by far the most powerful box out there.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  9. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

At the moment, it's too early to look past the platform, and Android TV as a platform isn't getting it done. Throwing more powerful hardware at the problem isn't going to solve that problem.

Content remains a problem for Google, whereas the selection on the Fire TV slowly but surely keeps improving.