Quantcast

NTFS on the Sony NSZ-GS7?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by webfeatworks, Dec 29, 2012.

1. webfeatworks

webfeatworks New Member

I have a 2TB WD external HD but it's not being recognized by my Sony NSZ-GS7 box (tried using the onboard media player and GTVBox). Since it's formatted NTFS, does this mean it won't work with this box? I know a FAT32 drive will work, but as mentioned on this board earlier, with this file format you're limited to the file size (<4GB) which won't work for me since I have files larger than this.

Has anyone has any luck with getting NTFS to work on the Sony box or do we need to wait for another update? With NTFS supporting more storage space and larger files, it's a natural format as this product tries to grow... I hope a fix for this is on the way.

Thanks,
    Ant

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Hopefully somebody will have an answer, I don't own the NSZ-GS7 but I do own the Sony NSZ-GT1, NTFS is not supported with my model. My Logitech Revue does support NTFS and I thought the NSZ-GS7 supported NTFS as well but I can't check first hand.

3. webfeatworks

webfeatworks New Member

Here's one thing I read about the Sony box, which is interesting... "* Flash Drive's & External powered HDD's are supported - for a non powered HDD try to connected it via a "Y" usb-power-adapter or a powered-sub-Hub.* If the box won't recognize HDD, check your external HDD for hidden VCD (Virtual CD) partitions (& remove)."

I'm wondering if it's a power issue... the drive format may be supported but if the drive isn't powered, it won't be recognized by the Sony unit. My WD Passport is one of those small 2TB, usb-powered drives. Anyone had luck with a powered NTFS drive?

4. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

Same problem I had with my portable 1tb drive and the nsz-gs7. I needed a y cable for it to detect the drive. Not enough power off the single usb port. Even though with one usb port the hard drive light came on.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

5. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

I still find hard to understand why the NSZ-GT1 would not be made to support NTFS.