Quantcast

NTFS External Storage

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by runswithbacon, Jul 25, 2012.

1. runswithbacon

runswithbacon New Member

The product indicates that it supports NTFS file systems but it won't recognize my two external hdds.

Anyone experiencing this?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

There is a thread about this issue here:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sonys-nsz-gs7/5642-nfts-support.html

It appears that some NTFS external hdds will work while others will not. It was suggested that perhaps the issue was whether the hdd was USB powered or external powered - also it was suggested the size of the hdd might make a difference. However there doesn't seem to be anything conclusive yet. A user reported he was able to get a HP USB 3.0 - 2 TB hdd to work.

If you have a USB 3.0 hdd you might be able to get it to work (with the Sony NSZ-GS7) by gettting a special cable as was explained in the following post by "futureboy"; ------

"I think the issue is not the size of the drive but the power requirement for the hard drive.

USB 3.0 spec requires the source to provide 900mA while the USB 2.0 spec is only 500mA. It is really hard to believe that a hard drive can only work with 2.5W of power from a single port this is why many of the USB 2.0 vintage hard drives use a Y cable to pick up more power.

The NSZ-GS7 is using USB 2.0.

Using the following cable that I found on Amazon you can connect your hard drive to both ports and get 1A of power for your hard drive. It worked in my case.

Utstarcom Oem Universal Y Adapter Usb Data Cable With Two Male & One Female Connector"

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
    • Like Like x 2