Quantcast

NSZ-GT1 is horrible, Sony support worse

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by redloro, Dec 5, 2011.

1. redloro

redloro New Member

Long time Logitech Revue user; decided to pickup a NSZ-GT1 last night to replace the Revue and PS3... figured the new, shinny box with Google TV 3.1 would be a good addition and simplify things a bit. Boy I was wrong.

Got everything setup quick and easy but when I wanted to set the IR blaster to control my TV, it all went downhill. None of the Panasonic codes for the IR blaster seemed to work for my Panasonic P60GT30. I tried the codes repeatedly, reset the device, etc. Even tried 20 or so other manufacturers to see if I could get some random code to work... but nothing would do.

Not being able to control the TV through the IR blaster is a big problem for me for two reasons:
    1. My TV sits inside a cabinet and I do not have line of sight with the IR sensor... need an IR blaster to control the TV
    2. Without an IR blaster, you cannot turn your TV on/off from the GTV iPhone/Android app

So a call to Sony support did nothing but tick me off... what a bunch of useless idiots. I mean my 80 yr old grandmother could do a better job reading from some technical bulletin. Needless to say, this pos is going back today.

2. BubbaHotep

BubbaHotep New Member

I joined just to reply to this post.

I completely agree, I did the same thing last Thursday. I figured I'd get one for the Den and put my Revue in the bedroom, when Honeycomb comes I'll already be up to speed. nope took it back Saturday, it almost killed me to leave it in the house that long.

hated the controller, hated having to run the IR cables all over my entertainment center, the Revue may not have Honeycomb, but for me it's lots better than the GT1

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Heh, heh. That's what I've been saying for quite some time. The best you can do in this case is report the issue to Sony and demand that they report it to the developers so that it is addressed in a future patch. Leaving to use the original OEM remote during the interim.

4. dlbark

dlbark New Member

I hate to hear about your problems using the sony NSZ-GT1. I've had mine now since March this year and I have yet to have any issue with it or Sony customer service. I also own the Revue, and between both the Revue is the the worst purchase at $250. I have AT&T U Verse and only on the revue box I get a HDMI Error code after turning it off after 2 mins. Still flash crashes and after 8 months of loyalty to Logitech Revue they have yet to update to GTV 2.0. That's not even bringing up the 99% lack of support Logitech now gives when I have query them on this HDMI issue. I bought and used cheap HDMI cables and even bought the new 20MHz HDMI cables and I still get this error. I even switched TV's, was on a Vizio (4 yr old TV) and now on RCA LA32Q, same issue. When I disconnect the Revue, no issue. REDLORO, 1 day cannot sum up your experience. What other measures did you try before labeling the NSZ-GT1. A guilt purchase at $190 vs your $100 pickup of a devise that Logitech no longer support is questionable at best comical. Buy a XBOX 360 or a Boxee Box, neither will have issues and will work on any type of TV you have in your house.

• Like Like x 2
  5. dlbark

dlbark New Member

I'm confused and disturbed by your comments. Did you just join a day or 2 ago to just ***** about Sony? You made a snap decision on a purchase made 4 days ago and you're a Google TV expert and have 100% faith in a product that the company that made it no longer believe in by stopping production of it back in October? Newsflash....if you haven't done it yet, manually update your Revue with the leaked Fishtank beta because the GTV 2.0 update is not coming. Logitech has stopped all activity on their Revue FAILURE per what they called it back in October. Sony got it between OCT 29 - NOV 3 and Revue owners were promised within and before December. No Revue 2 coming either. Just say I'm budget conscience and buying the Sony NSZ-GT1 only for the GTV 2.0 update is not worth it.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Ahh, the infamous U-Verse Coma symptom. This is a well documented issue in the Logitech Forums; however, I don't believe that it has been addressed in the last few updates. I wonder if Logitech's development department addressed it in the Honeycomb updates that they have been working on since last July. It'll be interesting to see just how many issues are addressed in the upcoming update since Logitech gave up on supporting the Android 2.1 (Eclair) environment after the early March update was released.

Can you please confirm whether or not the U-Verse Coma symptom affects the Sony NSZ-GT1? Sorry, you didn't actually indicate that while replacing the Revue. So, its difficult to ascertain whether or not the NSZ-GT1 is now being used in the same configuration as the Revue was.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. First impressions are relevant to the consumer regardless of the time they spend with their purchase. I don't see the need to berate him for expressing his opinions just because they do not coincide with your own experiences.

I would not recommend installing the developer leaks this late in the game. Rishi Chandra (Google's Product Director of Google TV) has already announced that the Revues with the dev-leaks will not included in the OTA update distribution. Besides, your perception of the Logitech's actions is not completely valid and has been addressed on November 11, 2011 by Ashish Arora (Logitech Vice President and General Manager of the Digital Home Group) who wrote:

• Like Like x 2
  7. dzji

dzji New Member

I didn't have the same problem, but did have to contact Sony for support because Netflix would not allow me to enter my information. They were completely unaware that such a problem could exist or even how to begin to solve it. They kept rambling the instructions for me to enter my information...ummm, I knew how to do that already, the problem was the TV wasn't letting me do it. Finally, they told me to contact Netflix. I said forget it and just reset my GTV to factory settings and boom...problem solved. The sad part was my GTV was right out of the box then, so it must have been a glitch from the get go.