Quantcast

NSZ-GT1 Discontinued

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by popeye123, Dec 17, 2011.

1. popeye123

popeye123 New Member

Went to 2 Best Buys to look for the NSZ-GT1. First said they were out. I asked when getting more in?
    He said never-Sony is discontinuing it.

Found it at another Best Buy-box was damaged. I asked for another box and she said that is it-no more Sony is discontinuing like the Revue!

Sony keeping it quiet?????
    Any one hear any thing?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Haven't read anything specific about their Google TV products. Although, it would make sense considering the attrition of available products at Best Buy. First the 24", the 32", and possibly now the Blu-ray player? I've read that Sony is re-evaluating their television lines because they haven't been profitable in years. The Google TV line of Sony products could be end up disregarded due to their pursuit to revive profitability in that division.

It seems that "The Fellowship of Google TV" appears to be breaking up and failing. Intel gave up on CE line of processors, Logitech has discontinued the Revue, Adobe is giving up Flash for embedded systems, and now Sony seems to be quietly exiting the picture. The only ones that are left to sustain the legacy is Google, Best Buy, and Dish Network. It doesn't look good. Let's hope that Google TV won't collapse due to the might of the Channel Line Networks and Content Providers that are sitting high ontop of Barad-dûr Tower in Mordor.

3. bidger

bidger Member

The units debuted over a year ago, about the ordinary life cycle for a consumer electronics device. Try ordering directly from SONY Style online.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Discontinued with no replacement announced is bad news but hopefully other companies will get involved with Google TV soon. My personal experience with Sony and Samsung products sure means I would not be delighted with Samsung replacing Sony as a major supporter of Google TV. I can't see how Sony can make any money with Google TV products so it would not be a surprise to me if Sony bows out after the first generation of products. Sony bowed out of TiVo after a couple of products but TiVo has managed to survive with TiVo branded hardware, although has never been able to do so profitably. Google may need to find some good OEM equipment makers, sell Google branded Google TV products and get things headed in the right direction. If Google doesn't arrange for substantial support on the hardware side, Google TV will flounder.

5. lkruper

lkruper Member

I just bought mine from Best Buy.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I think the idea is that each store has depleting stock. Once they've been sold out they will not be restocking. Not even sure at this point if they would be willing to make store to store exchanges.

7. edvo

edvo New Member

so I guess the promised year end update to 3d blue ray dvd capability is now gone???

8. ChrisG8

If Sony promised the player would be updated to handle 3D, I believe it will happen. Sony continues to update discontinued Blu-ray players when needed. I haven't seen the promise so I can't comment on whether or not it was made, only on my experience with Sony and Blu-ray players.

9. edvo

edvo New Member

From Sony earlier this month:
    Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I'm glad to inform you that on the Internet TV Blu-ray Player you can experience powerful 3D entertainment from Sony Entertainment Network, or your 3D content stored onto USB flash memory. To enjoy 3D content, connect the Internet TV Box to your 3D-compatible TV and AV Receiver using a high-speed HDMI cable. A firmware update is planned for the end of this year that will allow the BD player to support the playback of 3D-encoded discs.

Thank you for your time.

The Sony Email Response Team

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Well, the year isn't over yet. They still have ten more days left.

11. ChrisG8

Missing a "planned date" doesn't mean anything to me, it happens often. If that was correspondence from Sony, expect an update to enable Blu-ray 3D, although at this point, I wouldn't expect it before the end of the year. My 2007 vintage PS3 has been updated to handle many things not even envisioned when it was purchased, including 3D but at least a couple of the updates were slightly delayed.

12. ispy

ispy New Member

CES is around the corner and Sony could be releasing new Google TV products by then. Also, Sony did update last year S570 blu-ray player firmware about 9 months ago for 3D capability (after it was discounted and replaced by this year S580) so they could be doing the same with NsZ-GT1 too. I think there is still hope for 3D blu-ray.

13. several

several New Member

I picked one up at Best Buy in Bellevue, WA day-before-yesterday. There were 6 on the shelf (in addition to the display model.) It is still available for purchase via bestbuy.com There's also no shortage of them on Amazon. I also heard from a friend who works at Google that they have plenty available for Google employees to buy at the Google employee discount rate.

Finding a store low on stock is not an indication of discontinuation, it's only an indication that the store manager at that store doesn't know how to keep the shelves stocked to keep up with demand. One employee saying "it's discontinued" is an indication of nothing but an ill-informed employee, or an employee who lies to avoid having to look up when the next shipment is due. This product seems to be alive and going strong.