Quantcast

NSZ-GS8 accessing Videos from NAS drive issues

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by kudramx, Jan 7, 2014.

1. kudramx

kudramx New Member

I just purchased my Gs8 tonight and have fallen in love with it.

I have an interesting issue though

If I plug a USB hard drive into it with movie files it plays them perfectly using 'Media Player', .avi, .mkv, etc etc

Now I am able to use my network access storage drive as well. The Gs8 sees it and I can find all the files within it. All of which are the same

The issues is that when I try to play the same file using network storage I get an error that that says the file is corrupted or unsupported.

Is that a common issue and do we know of anyways to get that to work? I would really appreciate it. would make this device perfect for me!!

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I connected a network drive to a USB port on my router and got the same error message. I didn't do anything to try to fix it, instead connected the drive to a network PC and use Plex. I believe the issue can be solved and I think it is related to software required on the NAS or network drive but it is probably specific to the equipment used and may not work with all models. I think there are some here using a NAS, maybe with ViMu, a media player app. Let us know what NAS you are using and hopefully someone that has this working will help you out. I am a long time Google TV user but an inept network administrator with no technical knowledge about how to fix anything that isn't working so it won't likely be me with the fix.

3. kudramx

kudramx New Member

Western Digital Mybook Live 2tb is what I am using.
    I paid for and tried Vimu and it also gave me the same unsupported message.

It's a perfect system if I can get this to work :D

4. ChrisG8

OK, here is an old thread on the problem, it was solved for that user with help from eferz who was our resident technical expert but unfortunately he has moved on.

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/logitech-revue/3671-revue-mybook-live-2tb.html

I believe you will be able to get this to work, it will take proper settings and possibly some new software on the drive. There is a thread on using the ViMu player to read, take a look at it when you get a chance. It is a great media player app in my opinion, one of about 10 apps I have purchased and worth the price for me. You can also ask this question in the ViMu player thread.

5. kudramx

kudramx New Member

I picked up the WD Mycloud instead and it worked flawlessly. Thanks for the help though, I looked at how to put twonky on it and decided that I am just not that techincally savvy to want to do it so Now I just have 2 different network drives. prolly safer that way anywho :)

6. ChrisG8

Glad you came up with a solution.

7. theslydog

theslydog New Member

Download this free app and give it a try. Make sure you have the DLNA media server turned on in the NAS.

It works well for me.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.videon.android.mediaplayer&hl=en

8. UpstateNY

UpstateNY New Member

Hey kudramx, quick question for ya. I'm a fellow new owner of a GS8 (love it too) and am also looking into a WD MyCloud. I love the idea of backing up my dvd/bluray collection for easy playback on my GS8.

My question for you pertains to the NAS's remote capabilities. I have a Galaxy Note 8, iPhone 4 and Sony Xperia that I'd be looking to stream/download movies to over wifi/cellular networks. Whats been your experience (if any) using MyCloud for these purposes. How long is it taking to download a BluRay/HD video anf what are your results steaming (considering wifi & cellular network strength is a solid one).

Thanks!

Blake