Quantcast

nsz-gs7 temp root by gtvhacker and full static root by me :)

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by dexter, Jul 26, 2013.

1. dexter

dexter New Member

gtvhacker team managed to give us temp root on the Sony NSZ-GS7 ;)

I followed their trail and i got the system partition changed so we could add root to it, so it would not be static.

This is tested and working on NSZ-GS7 REL10 for US

Thanks to the guys with gtvhacker making the temp root. we are now capable of having a static root.

i have now achieved static root, changing the /system
    I have used the starting point from entonjackson making the root for Acer A1-810, using dd to seek through the mmcblk0 to write a modified /system :)
    see more details on that approach here

the big secret to writing the new filesystem:

1. follow gtvhacker instructions to get temp root on your box.
    2. as root do a chmod 777 /dev/block/mmcblk0 ; chmod 777 /dev/block/mmcblk0p11
    3. dump the filesystem: /data/local/tmp/busybox cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p11 >/mnt/media/usb.E234-1928/system.fs
    4. on a linux box: mount the dumped filesystem (system.fs) with -oloop to be able to modify it.
    ie. mount -oloop /tmp/system.fs /tmp/1
    5. copy your busybox and su to the /system/xbin/ folder where you mounted the system.fs
    6. umount your dumped filesystem from location you mounted it.
    7. write back the newly modified filesystem (i renamed it now to system.with_root) .
    /data/local/tmp/busybox dd if=/mnt/media/usb.E234-1928/system.with_root of=/dev/block/mmcblk0 seek=149248 bs=4096 (note if=/mnt/media/usb.E234-1928 = my usbstick)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  2. twospirits

twospirits Member

I didn't know they had released the temp root. This is even better. Cool.

3. retroben

retroben Active Member

What does this rooting currently provide anyway?

Now all we need is a for dummys guide for properly rooting it so we don't end up bricking our STBs.

Whenever the upgrade comes out,should we root before upgrading,or after upgrading?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  4. dexter

dexter New Member

Titanium backup is one famous app that require it, which many uses today.
    other features such as the new "xposed installer" opens up for new functions too.

Anyways, i believe only those that know why rooting is an advantage, should do it. it is not wise to do this without knowing the consequences with having a root'd box.

5. retroben

retroben Active Member

I know root access could be used to replace the flash player version with a newer/newest customly modified version that unblocks the specified blocked sites and increases performance.
    The only problem,is this flash mod available yet?

I also know there's some apps that require root access for certain functions in order to work.
    My main concern is to get full ad/pop-up blocking capabilities like on any computer by a modified hosts file and an ad blocker that uses root to fully block ads.
    So I can finally block those STUPID pop-ups that kill my other tabs,forcing me to re-open them from recent tabs.
    Maybe flash can also be made to work in other browsers and swf player apps by having access to root.
    I think technically the "tabs" in GTV's Chrome are actually windows,which explains why after a fourth one is opened,one other window gets closed.

What is the best choice?
    Should I root before the upgrade,never installing it or after installing the upgrade when it comes out?

6. dexter

dexter New Member

if gtvhacker's exploit also works on a REL11 when it comes out, i see no reason why you should not do it now or even wait if you wish.

7. retroben

retroben Active Member

What I really want to know is where do I even get this custom flash player version?

Unless it hasn't been made yet,which would really suck.

Don't forget to make an app just like cuberoot,but for Sony NSZ-GS7 so we can get root access much more easily.

8. Chasmanian

Chasmanian Member

There's an app called root keeper in the play store I believe. Once you're root, install root keeper between updates.

9. tinsnow

tinsnow Member

need dummy "how to root" instructions. Is there a possibility of playing MKV DTS video files after rooting? if yes, how?

10. retroben

retroben Active Member

Now I need an offline way to root because my F'ING internet got cancelled AGAIN!

I hope you can make a direct link to this "BeetleRoot" app (The Sony NSZ-GS7's real name is Sony Beetle) whenever you or someone else
    makes it,so I can root my device without needing internet/Wi-Fi or a computer to access the device's IP address forcefully needing Internet/Wi-Fi in the first place.

Whether I get the jellybean upgrade,and/or I get it rooted,I want to be able to run NDK based apps.
    Mainly for emulators like NES,SNES,Genesis,and maybe even N64.

Edit:Turns out charter offers internet and phone bundle for the same price as AT&T if not cheaper.

Now I am back online!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  11. retroben

retroben Active Member

Hey dexter,how was defcon21?
    Also,what does this button do?

Is there a way to install the native offline capable NPAPI Flash Player after rooting?

And,is it possible to make the latest 11.4 Linux version of the flash plugin become the custom version for use after rooting?

Sorry about throwing all these questions at you,I am just trying to play it safe before rooting my GTV box.

12. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Interesting development it seems. Can't wait for jellybean & NDK