Quantcast

NSZ-GS7, struggling with transport streams

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by eelpout, Jul 21, 2012.

1. eelpout

eelpout New Member

Just received the NSZ-GS7. Getting use to the interface and the remote as I'm new to Google TV. Thought I'd dip my toe in; am a SageTV user for many years and exploring other options... and hoping someday, there is a Sage/Google integration forthcoming. They bought them for a reason right? ;)

Anyway, the NSZ-GS7 seems to have no problem playing back the AVI's, MP4's and even MKV's I've thrown at it so far, but transport stream files lag and pause like crazy. These are being streamed (via SMB) from a Windows XP box which also serves up SageTV to its clients. These files are created with either an HD-PVR or Silicon Dust Prime, both have this pause/lag thing going on. Both playback app's I've tried, Plex and GTVBox have the issue. These files all play back fine over the network on a Window's PC or a SageTV HD300 streamer off the same Ethernet switch (not using WiFi).

I figure it's one of two things, a latency problem or it's having issues with the AC3 tracks. My guess is it might be the former. It behaves a bit like VLC on the Mac does when playing files over the network where unless you give it a 5-6 second buffer, it's a stuttering fool. Plex isn't adjustable for this that I can see. I've tried the various options on GTVBox for caching and it hasn't helped.

If this can't be resolved, I'm afraid I'm going to have to send the NSZ-GS7 back. This would be a non-starter for me. :(

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Edit: Hmmm, I noticed on the Sony product page that technically neither .ts or .ps formats are supported, yet the similar MPEG2 stream .m2ts is. If I remember right, there is a difference in packet size between them. Maybe it simply hasn't been optimized (yet??). Seems like an odd omission to me.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  2. Maximus

Maximus New Member

Don't send your NSZ-GS7 back yet. I just bought mine last week, and there are a lot of issues with it. My first geeration Logitech Revue is so much better so far. I get the feeling that we all bught the NSZ-GS7 prematurely, I believe the official launch is July 22. So I am expecting soon a major firmware update, that will tackle al lot of our issues.... for me streams craching afyet 30 minutes or so, being able to play some videos but not others of the same type, GTVBox app not working at all for me anymore, including aVia App, etc. Also, I belie the GTVBox App will be updated soon... I read this somewhere in a recent thread

And yes I do agree that it is rediculous that .ts and even .VOB files are not supported....sometime I wonder about the deceision making of these things...but I am sure there is a reason for it most likley it isabout liscenses and patents that cost alot to use, it is also an attempt by companies to force on us video formats that t they want to support and leave others out in order to drive certain licsence and patent holders out of business...

3. eelpout

eelpout New Member

poked around a bit and discovered DirectPlay. apparently it wss the transcoding on my Plex server that was causing the sluggishness with the. ts files. yea! :)