Quantcast

NSZ-GS7 Remote Rant

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by tvAddict, Sep 27, 2013.

1. tvAddict

tvAddict New Member

I must say that I was very excited to get the GS7. I have had the GT1 for some years now and wanted a second box for the bedroom.

The keyboard on the GS7 is really underwhelming. After using it for almost a month now, I still can't get used to it. Here are my issues with it. If you have a solution, please post a reply.

1. Where are the skip forward and skip backward keys? That's something I really liked on the GT1, but on the GS7, it is FUNCTION+LEFT or RIGHT ARROW. Sigh.
    2. Where is the TOP-MENU button on the GS7? On the GT1, that button corresponds to the DirecTV's "menu button" on the remote, so that one can get access to the series manager, search and other items on the DirecTV set-top box.
    3. The "Record" key. OMG. Why does it have to be FUNCTION+STAR? Again, if we are expected to replace the functionality of our set-top boxes with this remote (and reduce remote control clutter), then at least make this thing more user friendly.
    4. The "Channel +" and "Channel -" rocker switch. Come on. I understand why it is there, if you have the touchpad facing upwards, and the volume control is on the side. BUT as with my point #1, the skip buttons are on they keyboard side of the remote, and you will, inadvertently nudge the channel change button and you will go from "???" to "#^&#%!!!"

It would help very much if they kept all the navigation controls on one side of the remote. I don't know who designed the remote. I have always liked all the other Sony remote controls that they have for their TVs, BD/DVD players, amps and so on. This is the only one that I think was designed by an intern or something. The button placements are all off, it does not feel balanced in your hand, etc.

OK. So I got tired of the remote, and then I found the "Google TV Remote" app that is available for both IOS and Android. I downloaded it, thought I could repurpose an old iPod Touch or neglected Samsung Galaxy Ace as a remote. Guess what? There is no "Skip forward", no "Skip backward", no "Record" buttons.

I can't be the minority here who wants these basic functions on a remote control, am I?

Then I thought, maybe I should just buy that GT1 remote/keyboard because it is just that much better (ok, just a little). And I look on Amazon. And I look on eBay. $99 for a remote control. It costs as much as the GS7!!!

Thanks for reading my rant.

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Have a look @ the Logitech Mini Controller w/ unifying usb (or the Keyboard/K700) - instruction here

• Like Like x 2
  3. galfert

galfert Active Member

GT1 keyboard won't work on GS7/GS8. I suggest the K700 with unifying USB.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

• Like Like x 2
  4. Travel

Travel Active Member

Yes, the Logitech k700 full-size keyboard solves all your problems, and it's so light, it feels about the same weight as that crammed-up remote. The functionality of a GoogleTV box actually, really "demands" a full-size keyboard with user-friendly spacing/placement of dedicated buttons. That's why Logitech designed the k700 keyboard for the original Revue box. Too bad Logitech didn't stay in the game, their second generation boxes, if they had one, may have been the best; but then, they couldn't have sold them for $99, either.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  5. tvAddict

tvAddict New Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. I just placed an order for the K700 on eBay (1 month wait time for delivery!) for $35.

$Screen Shot 2013-09-27 at 10.06.27 AM.jpg

Looks like the keys are somewhat there, but I still don't see the TOP-MENU buttons on it. What about the colored buttons (yellow, blue, red, green)?

Anyway, I can't wait for this to arrive now.

6. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I'm kind of lost here. Do you want skip forward/skip back when using your DVR? Or do GTV Apps actually support this, and I never realized it? It always thought that device only supported FF and REW which are kind of clumsily built in to the touch pad - and doesn't even work with Web based Apps. I don't use my GS7 remote to control my DVR ...

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Using a TiVo with either the Logitech Revue or Sony NSZ-GT1 and the Logitech K700, skip forward 30 seconds is FN>>, skip back 7 seconds is FN<<. With the NSZ-GS7, only skip back 7 seconds works, I haven't found a command for skip forward 30 seconds.

8. jonw747

What about for GTV Apps? For instance, does the NetFlix App support xxx second skip and I never realized it? I like the fact that Apple Tv does support this, that is if you teach it your universal remote - another reason I use it for NBA LP due to the commercials in the broadcasts, and the ability to skip back and re-watch a play.

9. ChrisG8

As far as I know skip forward/back can't be added to apps that don't provide for it but I have noticed having the ability with at least a couple GTV apps. I don't have a list of which apps provide skip forward/back and only use it to skip commercials, so the TV app with TiVo is used with the commands often. I only recently started a Netflix subscription and my preferred method with that service for moving forward/back is simply using the > and < keys and that shows me the precise location I want and I hit enter. I can do that really quickly and nothing will beat that method for me so I haven't tried anything else.

10. chopper

chopper Active Member

I just press the right arrow a few times on the Logitech remote that came with my Revue and you kind of get used to how long it takes to skip through a set of commercials and hit play again. There are no colored buttons on this remote and it would be nice to be able to program a button to skip forward a predetermined amount of time like 2.5min's for example when a set of commercials come up. If I was a dev I would have made an App for this a while ago for GTV.

11. ChrisG8

I am long time commercial skipper and I like 30 second skip best, hit it 4 times or 5 times often but obviously not always, some commercial breaks are much shorter here with OTA, just more of them when that happens. If I overshoot, 7 second skip back is the fix.

12. tvAddict

tvAddict New Member

To be clear, the skip I was referring to (is very much like the TiVo) skip forward by 30s. I have the GTV controls mapped to the DirecTV DVR which has the skip forwards and backwards when watching a recorded program. I'm not talking about using those for NetFlix or other video/media playback applications.

The GTV has always been sold as, and positioned as a device that is a complement to TV, not to replace it (don't even get me started on people who try to compare GTV to Roku, AppleTV, etc). I love PrimeTime, I still watch lots of TV and recorded TV programs. It's not too much to ask for the same functionality for a remote that already exists on both the TV and the DVR remote, is it?

Anyway, great discussion so far.

13. jonw747

That is a good implementation with the thumbnails, but I do appreciate the mindlessness of just mashing the 30 sec skip button 6 times, and if I over shoot mashing the back button.

14. chopper

chopper Active Member

I spoke to this about year ago on another thread hear. I am able to program in 5 times 30 sec skip forward presses as a macro on on eof the colored buttons on my DVR remote but unable to do the same thing with GTV. Big sigh. I would love to see a voice control for GTV "Skip" and you would get a 2.5 min skip forward automatically which I feel works almost perfectly most of the time for skipping a set of commercials.

BTW the FN plus 5,6,7 and 8 on my Logitech keyboard mimic the 4 colored keys on a remote yet there is no current way to program in a macro just the 30 sec. skip once and this only works on a Revue as far as I know.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  15. tvAddict

tvAddict New Member

The keyboard arrived today. It is a nice size. I can use FUNCTION+ARROW to skip front or back. Not ideal, but better than knocking the stupid channel +/- buttons. I haven't figured out how to turn on/off the TV yet, I was assuming that this button was a direct replacement for what was on the original keyboard. /sigh. I'll give it a few days. I am too tired to go on tonight.

16. tvAddict

tvAddict New Member

OK. I give up. I can get the K700 to turn on the TV with the "TV button", but I can't figure out, for the life of me, figure out how to turn off the TV with the same button. The original NSZ-GS7 "TV ON/OFF" button works fine. What gives?

/sigh.