Quantcast

NSZ-GS7 Doesn't Turn Off DirecTV or TV

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by CreepyGnome, Jun 15, 2013.

1. CreepyGnome

CreepyGnome New Member

Greetings,

I have your NSZ-GS7 which I just purchased and set up a few days ago. I have it connected via HDMI pass through to a DirecTV HR24-500 box which is using the IR Blaster. Then the DirecTV is connected to a Samsung LN46B630 46" TV.

When I use the master power button on the GTV it will only turn itself off (go to sleep really), but will not power off the DirecTV or the Samsung TV. However when I use the master power button on the GTV it will power itself back on and turn on the TV.

I would expect that if it can turn the TV on it should be able to also turn it off when I use the master power button. Also since the DirecTV is connected via the IR Blaster it should also be able to power it on or off when I use the master power button.

My expectations of a universal remote setup, especially one like this with a GTV that is supposed to be the center of your entertainment universe, that when I hit the master power button to turn on it turns everything the GTV is connected with ON, and the same when I turn it off.

I mean my DirecTV remote has no problem turning all of the devices it is programmed for off and on with a single power button, many other remotes and products do this.

Either there is something wrong with the codes being used for the DirecTV and TV and it should be doing this, or there is a huge oversight in the features of the GTV that require me to have my DirecTV remote and the GTV remote. If I have to have both, why would I just use the DirecTV one and not even turn on the GTV for most of my TV watching needs? They should be wanting only the single remote to keep people in the Google world.

Anyway, any help on making this work if it is supposed to, or at least confirmation that GTV doesn't support this functionality will be appreciated.

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  3. CreepyGnome

CreepyGnome New Member

Yes, that is how it DOES work.

What I am saying is that is wrong and it should not work that way. I am looking for a way to make it work correctly as I explain in the original post. This one bug/lack of feature is making me consider returning it.

If have to have TWO REMOTES to use a GTV with a DirecTV why would I ever use the GTV unless I needed a specific feature like video on demand, or DLNA streaming, or playing pandora? Oh wait my DirecTV box already does all that. The only thing it doesn't do is play Netflix of the core features I would use on a regular basis.

I have contacted Sony support but they have yet to respond at all to this issue. Very disappointed in Sony right now.

4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Hi, many new GTV box users run into this...btw.

FYI, there is no "master power button" on GS7 [The [I/O] button (below POWER) should only turn GS7 On/Off].
    (The GS7 remote is not exactly a universal remote control)

If that button [GS7 [I/O] button (below POWER)] happens to turn the TV also "On"? That shouldn't happen....

To avoid possible (IR<->CEC) control conflict, disable HDMI-CEC on GS7 & TV (& just use GS7 IR blaster to control TV & STB),

On the GS7:
    Go to Settings > Unit settings > HDMI settings > Control for HDMI > Off

On Samsung TV:
    Go to Applications > Anynet + (HDMI-CEC) > Setup > Anynet + (HDMI-CEC) : Off > Auto Turn Off : No

Read here to get more ideas:
    http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sony-s-nsz-gs8-nsz-gs7/5743-sony-stb-tips.html#stip14a - (HDMI-CEC)

Good luck :)

5. CreepyGnome

CreepyGnome New Member

Well it seems to be a universal control for the TV and GTV, it is able to turn ON the TV and the GTV, and control the volume via HDMI CEC using the Master Power Button. This is why I call it the master power button as it is doing 2 of the 3 devices. It just isn't turning off the TV and it doesn't do on or off for the DirecTV.

Not sure why I would turn off the CEC stuff since it is working mostly except for turning off. I am not sure if the IR Blaster can get to the TV from inside the cabinet that the DirecTV box is in, if it's strong enough to bounce around the room it can I guess.

I will try the changes you suggest when I get home.

6. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

1. In reference to controlling the TV.

The CEC stuff maybe working as the IR at the same time (one turn it “Off” & the other may turn it back “On” instantly) and/or the IR blaster signal is not reaching the TV…. Anyhow, to simplify, I suggest you disable CEC and use IR to troubleshoot any possible control conflict.

(assuming you’ve already gone thru devices setup process on GS7 for Samsung TV & DirecTV box)

If the GS7 is hiding inside of a cabinet, connect the (included) “External IR Blaster” (to GS7) and placing it in front of the TV.

On GS7 side:

• Make sure to check the box of “Control with IR Blaster” (from Settings > TV & AVR > ...).

• Remember to select the audio you wish to control via Sony’s remote by selecting “Audio system”, “TV speakers” (from Settings > TV & AVR > Volume control setting > TV speakers).

Also, Read more here to get some ideas:
    http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sony-s-nsz-gs8-nsz-gs7/5743-sony-stb-tips.html#stip14tip1 - (IR Blaster)

2. In reference to controlling DirecTV box.

• To turn TV On/Off: while in TV mode: select settings > advance > ….
    (GS7 remote has no power on/off for STB)

• The IR Blaster controls DirecTV box (channels, etc ..).
    the IR signal should be able to reach it (since its located inside the cabinet w/GS7).

7. CreepyGnome

CreepyGnome New Member

So disabling all the CEC stuff made things worse in a way. It did show that the IR Blaster is powerful and bounces all over the room and reaches the TV just fine. However it just stopped the GTV from powering on the TV now I had to do everything with multiple remotes. I also found out with CEC on my TV remote controled the GTV and at first I was excited because this remote is more comfortable and easier to use, but it is missing a few important buttons. Like the "GTV Menu" button as the Samsung remote's Menue button obviously opens the Samsung TV's Menu. I tried all the buttons to see if any triggered this or any other missing button but no luck.

So basically Google did a horrible job on GTV2 while huge improvement over GTV1 it is still missing even the most simple and expected features users expect in an AV device. Also while Sony's remote is better than all the other GTV2 it is still not ergonomic and too wide to be comfortable in the hand. It is too easy to hit the touch pad while trying to do the basic features similar to all the GTV2 remotes. All of them also fail from the common Play/Pause/FF/RW layouts we have become accustom to.

Anyway I am on the fence about returning this, and if I do should I just get a cheaper GTV2 device which may make the issues more tolerable than the more expensive Sony version. Anyway thanks for your help the issue is with Google and the Hardware guys as they all seem to have the same core issues.

8. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

FYI, GS7 IR blaster (+External) works very well in controlling On/Off & volume with Samsung TVs. There are many users here with similar devices like yours. So, if you looking to make IR work properly, post more details.
    However if you wish to use "CEC-HDMI" (instead of IR), I suggest you read this section & also, make sure all HDMI cables in use are "High-Speed HDMI cables",

*** Sony stb Tips *** - (HDMI-CEC)

Good luck

Just out of curiosity, are you referring to this "HDMI-CEC commands" list to be fully supported by GS7?

9. CreepyGnome

CreepyGnome New Member

I am very confused, you say post more details but you are not asking me for what details I should be posted over what I already have. Also based on your statements there is nothing to fix. You claim there is no concept of a master power button for all connected devices, so not sure whats left to fix? The TV is not an issue if I use the TV power button on the sony remote but I have never been talking about that button. You have stated that the GTV's don't turn on and off DirecTV boxes or any of the pass through boxes like it. SO again not sure what more details I can post to fix something that you state isn't a supported feature. Also the IR Blaster and CEC are not conflicting with each other so again not sure what more details you are looking for to make something that isn't designed to work to work.

My remaining recourse is that it is a feature request for GOOGLE to make this required functionality of the remotes/GTV's as it is a very seriously overlooked feature that is so easy to implement with just the IR Blaster alone.

10. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

maybe what's confusing here is the topic of this thread? As (now) it appears to be the topic is just about a feature request for GOOGLE …

Good luck.

11. tariqbamadhaj

tariqbamadhaj New Member

So I think I have the same issue as the thread starter. Let me elaborate.

I had not turned on my Google TV for about a month (been busy) so when I did, I noticed that it turned on just fine with I pressed the button under POWER. However, I noticed that I could not control my TV's volume or Input. I also could not turn off my TV from the Google TV remote. I have CEC enabled which is why the TV was turned on when I turned on the Google TV box but does not respond otherwise.

I tried out Sony's suggestion of looking at the set top box through my phone's camera while pressing the Volume Up button on the Google TV remote and noticed that no IR was being transmitted. However, when I pressed a non TV command (e.g. Guide for my cable set top box), I could see the IR being transmitted.

Connecting an external IR does not work.

It seems that the recent update messed with the IR transmitter? Is there any workaround for this? Would prefer a one remote solution.

12. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Turning off HDMI-CEC might force the box to just use IR. Even if you don't like that as a solution, it might be interesting to see what happens.

13. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

also,
    check the box next to "Control with IR Blaster"
    From Settings > TV & AVR > TV control setting

more here ...

14. tariqbamadhaj

tariqbamadhaj New Member

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately, they don't work.

Turning off CEC does not force the device to use the IR blisters as I don't see them being fired off. I also tried removing and reading the TV but that does not help as well.

I have a Samsung UN55D6050 unit.

15. tariqbamadhaj

tariqbamadhaj New Member

Actually, I don't see a check box for "Control with IR blaster" in Settings > TV & AVR > TV control setting. It just takes me to setting up the TV I have by entering the make and model which I did but it still doesn't work.

16. jonw747

Options: 1) Pull the google tv out so you can point it's built-in IR blaster right at your TV/AVR and see if it makes any difference. 2) Setup your TV and AVR from scratch and see if you have better luck. 3) Factory wipe the unit, and see if you have better luck. 4) If it's not too late, return it under warranty.

17. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

also,

- Place the external IR Blaster near the TV IR receiver.
    - Disable HDMI-CEC in GS7:
    Settings > Unit settings > HDMI settings > Control for HDMI > Off
    Settings > Unit settings > HDMI settings > Unit auto power off > Off .......... (To avoid unexpected unit <-> devices control conflict see this link)

+1

Follow on-screen instructions & check the box next to "Control with IR Blaster".

if not,

give this a try,

"Reset" (hardware "reset", not a factory reset)

if not,

Perform a Factory reset (choose via software or hardware).

18. tariqbamadhaj

tariqbamadhaj New Member

Option 1 would not make a difference because the IR blasters from the external IR and those built into the box would not fire off when a TV command is pressed so moving it to point directly at the TV would not yield a different result.

For Option 2, I don't have an AVR so it is just the TV and I have tried setting it up again from scratch with no luck :(

Have yet to try Option 3 and hoping it doesn't have to get to that but would give it a shot later if that there are no other solutions.

Sure hope I can find the receipt if I have to go with Option 4.

19. jonw747

Option #1 is about not putting all your faith in the "camera method" and double checking it by providing a straight path for the IR.

20. tariqbamadhaj

tariqbamadhaj New Member

No such luck with straight line of sight :(