Quantcast

NSZ-GS7 and Plex

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by ironmanDD, Jun 4, 2013.

1. ironmanDD

ironmanDD New Member

Hey guys, Just picked up this new Sony Internet Player, and having a hard time with Plex. I have Plex installed on my PC, and other devices such as PS3, and WD Live detect the Plex server no problem, however I cant get it to work on the NSZ-GS7... I downloaded both the .99 cent app and the free app from the playstore, and I cant get either to work... do I need to configure anything in the Plex app on the Sony device? How can I tell if DLNA is even working? Thanks in advance

2. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Make sure you use static ip's for both the Sony and your Plex server. Plex for Plexpass members has been released I believe. It is the Plex for Android, not the one specifically for the GTV.

You might also want to look into Serenity. It is a good Plex client. Also Mizuu which is an alternative to Plex which is great for video. You get excellent metadata and it supports SMB shares. I really like Plex but Mizuu is currently what I use.

Philip

3. ironmanDD

ironmanDD New Member

Thanks for the he reply!

I don't know how, but all of a sudden plex server is recognised... and I can stream my movies from my pc..

I'm not a complete noob, but I know enough to get by if you can guide me through! Can you explain how to get a static IP on both the Sony and Plex server?

Basically, I have a collection of mkv movies 720p majority DTS audio, on a USB HD... what's the best method to stream them to the nsz-gs7?

I've tried vimu, but none of my movies will play.. the built in media player also doesn't support them... I believe this device doesn't support DTS, so is it best to use plex so the audio can be transcoded?
    I love all the other features with this device so if I can get this to work I would prefer the Sony to a WD Live or Roku..

Thanks again

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  4. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

By static I mean fixed ip. No DHCP. You set that up in the network settings of the GTV and the network settings of the server on which the Plex Media Server is running.

DTS is not supported on the Sony NSZ-GS7. It's not an issue for me so I've never thought about it. I assume you could Direct Stream from the server and just have the DTS audio transcoded.

I don't think you'll find many devices that do support DTS audio, unless you are talking about passthrough mode.

Philip