Quantcast

NSZ-GS7 and Dish

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by elusivemiss, Jul 3, 2013.

1. elusivemiss

elusivemiss New Member

Hello,

I am very new to Google TV and just picked up this device today. I love everything it can do so far...but I can't access my Dish receiver. It can be seen on the network, but doesn't work. I do not want to pay the $4 fee per month for integration. My box is upstairs, the Sony is downstairs and they are not connected via any cables. Do they have to be? I have been trying to get the Dish Anywhere app to work, but it won't play through Crome and the app itself won't work when I sideload it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - even if you tell me I'm poop out of luck, I'd be okay with it.

Thanks,
    Missy

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Make sure that your Dish receiver is connected to the internet.

An HDMI cable should go from the cable or satellite box to the "HDMI In" port of the Google TV device (if you're using a set top box). Another HDMI cable should go from the "HDMI Out" port on the Google TV device into your television. The HDMI ports should have a label that tells you whether they are "In" or "Out."

Plug in the ir blaster cables to the google tv and put the end of the cable near the dish receiver. When you set up your dish, you tell it that your using dish setup and then it will ask you to turn your channel with the remote and if nothing happens it tells you to press a certain combo to try another code or something like that. Some users have said they have the ir blaster cable taped to the top of the dish reciever above the power button and have no problem with setup.

Also you do not need the 4 dollar plan unless you want it as you just choose the limited mode when setting up your reciever.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  3. elusivemiss

elusivemiss New Member

Thank you! So I will always have to have the Hdmi cable go to the sony box then. Poo. They are in 2 different rooms. I wish the Dish app worked...

4. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Member

For dish anywhere app to work you will need a dish receiver with sling bulid in or a sling adaptor. dish anywhere app is not available on GTV.
    If you have an andorid phone or tablet you can get the dish anywhere app on these devices. Since I have an apple Ipad I know I can stream dish anywhere to my Apple TV, the same thing maybe true for andorid devices using GTV as the receiving device.

Lastly I would recommend that you look into getting a dish hopper. With hopper you can have the main receiver upstairs while in your downstairs space you can hook up a Joey and get all of the advantage of dish main receiver. then Joey will work with GTV. you do have to go into settings and enable IR controll for the remote.

5. vicw

vicw New Member

Yes, the Dish Anywhere app has no purpose running on GTV, even if it were available. The Hopper/Joey is a good alternate suggestion. That's what I'm using, with my GS8 on the main Hopper, and I'm also running a Revue as a secondary GTV through one of my Joeys. That works just fine for me. The only shortcoming I've encountered so far with the GS8/Hopper combo is that during the install, the GS8 didn't recognize the Hopper device for enhanced operation (not sure that's exactly what they called it), so I can't start a recording from the TV SideView app on an Android mobile, which is a small inconvenience. Other than that, it all still works fine, and the blaster is able to control everything on the Hopper.

For a variety of reasons, I highly recommend the Hopper, especially if you have multiple HD units. I replaced a pair of Dish DVRs with it, and a pair of Joeys, driving 3 HDTVs. I couldn't be happier with the whole package.

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Interesting what you mentioned about the GS8 not recognizing the Hopper for enhanced integration. Here (see below) is a very detailed FAQ guide about the Dish Hopper and Joey:

Hopper and Joey FAQ - The Definitive Guide

From that FAQ list it mentions that the Hopper doesn't support enhanced integration with the Logitech Revue. No mention about the other GTV devices. But my hunch is that it also doesn't support enhanced integration on the Sony NSZ-GS8. Were you ever able to get the enhanced integration to work on your Sony GTV?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*From the Hopper and Joey FAQ:

57) "Will the Logitech Revue work with the Hopper and Joey?

At this point, the Hopper and Joey are not compatible with the Logitech Revue for advanced DVR integration. However, you can use it to browse the Internet on your Hopper and Joey system."

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  7. vicw

vicw New Member

This subject has me quite confused. When I had my Dish 722's, I paid the monthly $4 integration fee, and when I arranged the upgrade to the Hopper/Joeys, they informed me that the integration would not be supported with the Hopper. To be honest, I don't really know what I lost in the transition to the Hopper. I do know that the Revue identified the Hopper device in the initial setup, but the Sony GS8 didn't, for whatever reason. I know the Hopper was fully online to the internet at the time.

Functionally, the only thing I don't have that I would like is the ability to enable recordings from the TV Sideview Android app. I'm not sure if the inability to do that correlates with the fact that the GS8 install didn't ID the Hopper, or for some other reason. The Google Play store examples for the app show that it displays program options for Watch, Record or Share, whereas the only one I see on my devices is Share.

As an alternative, I can do the same thing from the Dish Anywhere app on my Android mobiles, but the Sideview app would be preferable, mainly because it doesn't jump back to the top channels whenever I move the time forward, as the Dish Anywhere app does. That behavior makes it a very laborious process, when I'm scanning forward, looking for Recording candidates.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

8. vicw

vicw New Member

Does everyone else experience the same behavior on the Android TV SideView app, when used with the Hopper/GS7,GS8 combo, as I described in my preceding post - where selection of a program in the Program Guide displays only the "Share" option, but not the "Watch" or "Record" selections? I would like to confirm if that is a hard limitation, or if I may just have a configuration issue on my GS8 that could be corrected.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4 Beta