Quantcast

NSX40GT1 noob looking for functions that I am accustomed to using.

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by bugeyed, Feb 23, 2012.

1. bugeyed

bugeyed New Member

I looked for this info & have had no luck.

1) How do I display info for the program that is playing? Tried Menu+I with no luck.
    If there is a shortcut to the info screen I would also have to be able to get to more info.

2) Can I remove unwanted channels? I deselected them in the "edit channel list", but they still show when I use Ch up & dn.

3) Is it possible to step through the channels that I have selected as favorites? I don't want to display my favorites list & scroll through that.

These functions are all available on my cable remote, but I prefer not to use 2 remotes.

Next option may be to use one of my learning remotes.

Thanks,
    kev

2. x586

x586 New Member

1) info button.
    2) hide them in the settings menu
    3) i don't know.

3. bugeyed

bugeyed New Member

Thanks, found the Fn 4 key. Pretty lame though!
    Don't find any way to hide channels in the settings menu. As I mentioned I did deselect the channels I don't want & they still appear when I ch Up & Dn.

k

4. x586

x586 New Member

On the tv input with nothing else open...
    Hit the menu button on the rt D-pad.
    Move down to edit channel list and hit enter.
    Now check the boxes on any channels you want to HIDE ( i.e. it is backwards to common sense, instead of selecting the channels you want to see in the list you check the channels you do not want to see.)

"Thanks, found the Fn 4 key. Pretty lame though! " I agree, so ...
    I went in the menu for the home bar and put a settings button on it

5. bugeyed

bugeyed New Member

6. x586

x586 New Member

ok, now it sounds like your trying to control you cable box and the channels it has. If that's the case I think you would have to setup the channels you want access to in the cable box using the cable box and for simplicity i'd use the cable remote to configure it. Once you have that setup then you should see what you want on the tv. I can't say that for certain, because I don't have your exact setup, but I've seen similar and that's the way it worked.

7. bugeyed

bugeyed New Member

Thanks x586! You're right. That sounds like a logical solution, if my cable box will allow it. Wonder what the "Edit channel list" is supposed to do? Maybe only for the tuner? I am finding out more & more that I will probably need to use my learning remote to do what I want, because of the design of the Sony remotes lack of dedicated keys. A case of a device trying to do too many things in a small formfactor. I am still disappointed that Sony has not provided better documentation & am thankful for this forum & people like you who are willing to help. With a bit more digging & playing with this set, soon I will be able to contribute too.

Edit: Upon checking the cable box setup, there doesn't appear to be any way to not display all channels. This surprises me. I have set up many TVs that let you select "remove channel" when viewing an unwanted one. Oh well, wouldn't be an issue if Sony would let me step through my favorites instead I am required to "press star, Dn, Dn, Dn, select, then scroll through the list & select." or "Press Menu, Dn, Dn, enter, then scroll & select". Both absurdly complicated methods. Guess I have been spoiled by my cable box fav button stepping thru favs. I held out hope for this remote because I read someone describing another Sony set that would do just that. I am still holding out hope that the google TV remote will add this. It did add a dedicated Info & recall key.

Thanks,
    kev

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  8. x586

x586 New Member

I would expect in the cable box you could setup favorite list and set it as the default channel list, both dish and directv have those options even on their old cheap units.

9. bugeyed

bugeyed New Member

Didn't see it, but will look again. The cable (Suddenlink) does allow a favorites list & the remote's dedicated fav button steps through these favorites at each press. Didn't see anything about setting as "default channel list".

Cheers,
    kev