Quantcast

NSX-GT1 windows 7 and dlna

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by x586, Jan 8, 2012.

1. x586

x586 New Member

I just got a NSX40GT1 and it plainly states it supports dlna even tells you how to set it up in windows 7. Of course I went through all this and it does not work. I read at least 50 pages about dlna and windows so far, no results on the tv side. From the windows 7 pc I can see the TV details, the mac, ip address device name. On the other side ( from the tv) I can not see the pc at all, there is no indication the NSX40GT1 even has any sort of access to the local network or any mention of dlna.
    I've disabled my firewall enabled upnp in the router and this made no difference. Sony's support page about this tv and dlna is circular and offers nothing about actually configuring the tv to access dlna content. I've went through the settings and network and tried the media player and nothing about dlna or anything related to accessing content from the lan comes up.

So having said all that HELP please.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I would give up on using Windows 7 as a DLNA server. Most of the people I've tried to help get that working, often gives up and uses a more dedicated software package like Logitech Media Server, Sony VAIO Plus, TwonkyMultiMedia Server, or TVersity. There are many more DLNA servers which are bazillion times better than trying to use Windows 7 built-in apps.

3. x586

x586 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply.
    If won't do what it describes as one of it's main functions and sony post on their site, I won't be keeping it. I have windows 2008r2 enterprise server running on on a dell 2950 and it was easier to setup then dlna for this and it had way better instructions.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It'll work fine. It is actually just more of a hassle trying to coax Windows into working. For example, in my situation I just had to load the files in my NAS and turn on its embedded DLNA server. And both my Sony and Logitech Google TV devices were able to stream off of it. I tried it with Windows once and with all the BS security that Microsoft uses to obfuscates a simple process made it took longer than it had needed to.

5. x586

x586 New Member

ok so where in the tv do I go to access a dlna connected device ?

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Sony Media Player is the DLNA client. It should be in on your Home bar by default. If not you'll find it alphabetically in the All Apps drawer as "Media Player". When you open the app, it'll send a DLNA roster broadcast. If your DLNA server isn't being cockblocked by a firewall then you'll see it amongst the available sources. From there is a simple measure of navigating to your files and playing the media.

7. x586

x586 New Member

I'll post more details tomorrow, I'm extremely annoyed with it this evening and tired. thanks for the help

8. lkruper

lkruper Member

I have a NAS with Twonky on the same subnet as my NSX-GT1. One thing I noticed is that after rebooting my router because of Verizon's DNS problems the NSX-GT1 did not see the NAS. Restarting the NSX-GT1 fixed that. I think the NAS must be up first before the google tv device comes up for it to be recognized.

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I dunno that's weird. Doesn't make sense. The DLNA broadcast for device roster call is the same whether it is started before any NAS devices are available or not. It is up to the actual device to send an acknowledgement.

10. x586

x586 New Member

Ok so I called sony today and they had me reset the tv using alt crtl backspace, and reboot it and unplug it for a minute. None of that worked on it's own, however after doing that and disabling my firewall it started working.
    Last night I had already tried disabling the firewall and rebooting the router pc and tv and that did not work. Either the reset or the cold boot corrected the problem and once the tv could see the PC with no firewall, it was simple enough to to configure the firewall. It's all working fine now over wireless g, but I'm going to wire it as it should provide superior performance.

Thank for the help. And maybe this will help someone else with similar issues.;)

• Like Like x 2
  11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help.

• Like Like x 2
  12. lkruper

lkruper Member

Hmmm.... The reboot of the DSL modem was done to allow the Verizon tech to force a change of external IP address and perhaps the internal DHCP was changed at that time as well. I did not check that.