Quantcast

NPR Comes To Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by Rickaren, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

NPR Comes To Google TV

October 4, 2011

NPR has launched a new app for the Google TV platform. The app — featured in the Google TV Spotlight Gallery (video only works in Chrome) — makes it easy for users to watch NPR's best video and multimedia slideshows on a big screen.

We've made great strides in the past few years expanding our ability to tell compelling multimedia stories. NPR now has an award-winning team of visual journalists in-house. Their work spans all genres — from hard news, to music, to food. NPR.org even has a photo blog, the Picture Show, and, earlier this month, NPR Music won an Emmy for a video feature called Project Song.

Naturally, the NPR app on Google TV contains videos from NPR Music and its station partners, including Tiny Desk Concerts, studio sessions and live concerts. It also has a selection we're calling "Radio Pictures." Covering a variety of topics, it contains videos, audio slideshows and even a few animated reports.

If you're interested in the nuts and bolts, Google TV provides helpful templates for quickly creating a channel. For our app, NPR's design and user experience folks heavily customized the look and feel of the channel. Our development team coded all the necessary CSS and powered the app with calls from the NPR API.

SOURCE

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It's not an app, lol. Spotlight on Google TV is a public bookmark widget that is RSS fed from Google. Here's the link to the NPR website from Spotlight Google TV : NPR

3. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

The majority of Chrome apps are just bookmarks, so what is the difference?

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

It's not an app in the traditional sense of an android app that you download onto a device. It's a 'web app'. While some of the sites in Google TV Spotlight are basically just fancy bookmarks - there are some sites that have a Google TV web app that are "especially designed for Google TV". These are indeed different than the regular full web versions of the site.

For example here is the GTV version of NPR:

Google TV : NPR

and now compare that with the full web version. It's not the same thing:

NPR : National Public Radio : News & Analysis, World, US, Music & Arts : NPR

5. Dubs22

Dubs22 New Member

I use my GTV (right now) for mainly watching and listening to the content on the NPR Music web page. I was very happy to see this addition. However, I believe the so called app falls short just like everything else with GTV. I really dont like the way it only gives a list of all the NPR music content available from the site. How about a little organizaion with some seperate sections??? I suggest they provide seperate page each of the following: A page for Tiny Desk Concerts, KCRW content, Live Concerts, All Songs Considered, etc...