Quantcast

Not working with receivers

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by hawk, Jan 16, 2011.

1. hawk

hawk New Member

Has anyone been able to correct the problem of the set-top-box not working through receivers? I was actually at the store today where I purchased the box and ran into two other people who had the exact same issue. We can all get our comcast HD box to play through the STB and directly to the TV with no problem. When we try and hook it up through HDMI to our receivers (all three of us use different brands) there seems to be a problem. Has anyone else had this problem and more importantly for us, has anyone been able to fix this problem? I've got the Motoral DCH 3416 if that helps at all.

2. TheSanTechnologist

TheSanTechnologist New Member

Search around for this, it is a well known problem with the Motorola STBs. They limit the number of HDCP connections (the security standard as part of HDMI and HD content). The standard allows for 7 layers of HDCP (i.e. 7 devices chained together), however Motorola decided to limit it to 2 downstream. Complain to Comcast about it, wince they are the ones allowing Motorola to doe this via STB firmware.

3. lfeickert

lfeickert New Member

I have been working around this problem ever since I first installed the NSZ-GT1 into my system in March of this year; using component video out and optical audio from the Motorola DCX3400 into my Denon AVR-4308 receiver. It's working fine, but isn't as integrated as the designers intended.

When I first set it up I was on the phone with Sony, Denon and Comcast several times and was basically told that there was a mismatch in my versions of HDMI between the receiver, the Sony Google TV box and the cable box. The receiver is locked in to v1.1 and the cable and Google TV boxes are at higher levels. THIS VERSION MISMATCH IS NOT THE PROBLEM as either the cable box or the Google TV box can be directly connected to the receiver and they work fine.

My Sony NSZ-GT1 firmware was upgraded to v3.1 last week and so today I thought I'd try to see if the issue was resolved--it is NOT. When I connect the HDMI out from the cable box to the Sony box and the Sony box HDMI out to the receiver, the picture flashes on for a few seconds; then goes to a green screen (with "DUI" flashing on the cable box display); and then goes to "snow". This loop cycles about every 30 seconds or so.

I called Comcast today to see if there was a firmware update for the Motorola DCX3400 and, as usual, the "technician" knew absolutely nothing about that. As I expected, no one else was available that knew anything about Google TV or what it is used for. So, I'm still using the Google TV box as a discreet input to my receiver and switching in and out of the loop with the receiver.

I'm interested in finding out if anyone else has encountered this problem and what they've done. If there are other posts on this board that address the issue, I'd appreciate your pointing me to them. My suspicions are that Comcast's limit of two downstream HDMI devices is the culprit, but I may be misinterpreting what my Internet searches are telling me.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You hit the nail on the head. The basic idea is to connect the Motorola DCX3400 => Logitech Revue => Television through HDMI then have a parallel connection from your Logitech Revue => Denon AVR-4308 using an optical digital cable. The will avoid the HDCP issue that you're experiencing. Another way to avoid all together is to exchange Motorola DCX3400 with a CableCard and get yourself a Tivo Premiere. It may even save you money on the DVR rental and converter fees.

5. dawkins20

dawkins20 New Member

Is this an issue with the Sony unit only? The reason I ask is I have a Comcast DCX3400 hooked to a logitech revue to an older Denon AVR-987 to my sony TV all via HDMI and I am not having HDCP problems at all. For many reasons discussed here previously by others, I wanted to return the revue and pick up the Sony unit, but I would not do so if I would have this HDMI connection issue.

Thanks

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The root cause of the HDCP issues are due to the customized firmware provided by the channel line provider for the certain set-top boxes. This has nothing to do with the Google TV devices by either Logitech or Sony.

7. Spyglass69

Spyglass69 New Member

I am experiencing the same issue with looping and green screen. Sporadically the picture and sound will come through, but then cut out. The NSZ-GT1 works fine hooked up to cable box and then to the Sony TV. The problem occurs when I add the Denon AV Receiver. I use Comcast Cable and my cable box is a Motorolla DCH6416. I don't have a resolution yet. I agree with your suspicions regarding the Motorola limiting the number of HDMI connected devices. I plan to call Comcast tomorrow to start working the issue.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That's indicative of the HDCP restrictions which Comcast imposes on their customers. As long as your rent their cable box or DVR, you're subjected to their whims. They are notorious for limiting your performance capabilities. There is a work around of using an optical cable from the NSZ-GT1 into your AV Receiver. This will allow the audio to port through a non-HDCP govern output. Otherwise, you can also purchase your own DVR and rent cable cards instead. That will should lower your monthly cable subscription and give you more control of your AV equipment.

9. credo

credo New Member

Thanks for the info. I was shopping around for a speaker/receiver set up and after reading about these issues, I won't waste my money. Unfortunately, I am having a problem with one of the NSX-40GTI speakers and need something else. I already exchanged TVs for another issue (glass was not completely secured on) and do not want to go through another exchange (online purchase).

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I take it you have a Comcast set-top box? Because there is a work around by using an optical audio connection instead of HDMI to the AV Receiver, you avoid the HDCP detection of another hop.