Quantcast

not sure which media player to buy ?

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by baha2012, Feb 17, 2013.

1. baha2012

baha2012 New Member

Hello I have been looking around for a media player but cant decide on which one to get,this are my requirements.
    Web browser so I can view flash content and/or html5
    usb so I can play my video files from an external hdd
    and a decent remote control
    I have been looking at the sony nsz-gs7 although I am unsure about the external hdd with this.
    Can anyone offer me some assistance with this.
    Thank you

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

With the Sony NSZ-GS7 you will be able to play most Flash content on the internet but not all of it. GTV devices currently have Flash 10.2 and they have mentioned that they don't intend on updating GTV to Flash 11. Also certain web sites such as Hulu, NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, etc block GTV. So those won't work either.

However as a "workaround" you could install the PlayOn software on a computer and stream Hulu and some of the networks to your GTV device via DLNA. The PlayOn service requires a subscription fee and the content is not available in HD.

Also most HTML5 formats will work with GTV - but not all of them.

* Also GTV doesn't support Miscroft Silverlight - so you will not be able to stream internet videos that require the Microsoft Silverlight player.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  3. baha2012

baha2012 New Member

Can I plug my external hdd in to it and play my movies mkv, vob etc ?

4. CatfishRivers

Yes - but the movies will need to be in a format that GTV supports. You can use a client such as PLEX to play most of your movies from your external drive.

* Here is some information (see link below) from the Sony web site about using hard drives with the Sony NSZ-GS7 that you might find useful:

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/...EDGEARTICLES_1_1&dialogID=526750696&stateId=1

* Here is some information about using PLEX with GTV and supported codecs:

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/W...o_play_on_Plex_for_Google_TV_and_others_won't

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* As you can see from the following thread GTV does not intend to support Flash 11 (to me it's not that big of an issue - but it might be something that is important to you personally). I haven't come across a lot of content that required Flash 11 - but some of it does. So you must decide. Also if you want to stream Hulu directly to your TV you might be better off just doing that with a laptop computer. As I mentioned Hulu blocks GTV.......

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...-request-gtv-issues-flash-11-please-vote.html

Note: The free YouTube movies that won't work with the GTV Chrome browser because they require Flash 11 - will now work through the GTV YouTube app.

5. CatfishRivers

According to the YouTube TestTube web site my Logitech Revue supports HTML5 in "Video tag" and "h.264" format - but doesn't support HTML5 in "WebM" format:

http://www.youtube.com/html5

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the HTML5 browser test site - my Logitech Revue (OS 3.1) currently scores 359 out of a possible score of 500. The HTML5 browser test site is here:

http://html5test.com/

I don't have a Sony NSZ-GS7 to do the HTML5 test - so perhaps somebody with that device can post their results. Since all GTV devices currently are on the same Chrome browser user agent - I would think that the results for the Sony NSZ-GS7 would be very similar to the Logitech Revue.

6. baha2012

baha2012 New Member

Ok thank you ,I didn't think it would be difficult to find a box for flash web browsing and reading my hdd but it seems very hard to find one.

7. CatfishRivers

I think that overall you would be happy with the Sony NSZ-GS7. It is currently the highest rated GTV box on the Amazon customer reviews at 3.3 stars (while next in line is the Vizio Co-Star currently rated at 3.2 stars). I have read several comments that people preferred the Sony remote over the Vizio remote. But much of this is based on a person's subjective value judgement. I suggest you give it a try and if you don't like it you could return it within the warranty period.

8. baha2012

baha2012 New Member

Ok i think i will try this box ,thank you very much for you help.

9. CatfishRivers

10. chopper

chopper Active Member

Archos TV Connect will play all sorts of vid codecs, has full Android and an on board camera for Skpye. It's not GTV but it might suit your needs very well. Probably will get flash 11 working on it as well as Hulu without jumping through any hoops. If you were integrating cable TV I would stick with the Sony GTV box if you don't mind transcoding your vids and acess to full android Apps and flash 11 is not a priority.

11. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

For GTV, I would recommend the ViMu app for playing media from your HDD. It supports a lot of different video formats and is a great app with the developer having a thread in these forums for support. The app is $2.99 but totally worth it.

12. plac

plac New Member

I studied the Amazon reviews, and went with the Vizio.
    I already had the Sony bdp-s790 (boat anchor).