Quantcast

Not sure what to do anymore?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by FA1321, Aug 18, 2014.

1. FA1321

FA1321 New Member

I bought the Logitech Revue several years back I got tired of waiting for an upgrade so I put it back in the box and stored it away. I decided to pull it out last week and its latest OS is much better with some issue of course. My main issue is the remote app for iPhone is missing the home button and the GTV app loses sync.

I really like the prime time feature with my Uverse and how it pulls all the movies and categorizes them from my Netflix & Amazon Prime accounts. I can honestly say those features help me get more out of my paid subscriptions. That being said I would be willing to buy another GTV box if it worked better with my harmony hub or my harmony 650 remote. I was looking at the Sony NSZ-GS8 but see it is discontinued and feel like its going to be a repeat of the Revue failure. Is GTV worth investing more money or just dieing a slow death?

2. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

The second generation GTV boxes don't support IR. You'd need to add something like the FLIRC to them to allow it.

GTV looks pretty bleak right now, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Fire TV as you'd expect does a great job with Prime content, but supporting other content providers anywhere near as well is something still not in there right now. You'd still need to add something like the FLIRC USB media extender, though, to get it to work with your Harmony.

If you want a streaming box that supports Prime and has IR built-in, then you're probably looking at the Roku 3. The Roku's search does span multiple Apps.

Alas, none of these devices help you figure out what to watch on TV let alone change the channel for you and passthrough the signal like GTV can do.

I like PrimeTime a lot as well, but it still doesn't cover all the providers I subscribe to. There must be a web page somewhere that can do it?

3. FA1321

FA1321 New Member

I was wondering if there is another GTV box I can set in my Harmony that would control my Revue? I loaded the Revue into my harmony hub and it doesn't work correctly either. The GTV app works for awhile but either loses connection or a pop up tells me I need to enter the 4 digit code on my device just real flukey. Everything else works but the remote control apps there has to be a work around!

4. Travel

Travel Active Member

Maybe, with AndroidTV, although it's being designed away from the GoogleTV concept, with increased apps availability of the AndroidTV, Play Store Android apps may replace the popular built-in GoogleTV features.

Right now, how it will all shake-out is unknown until the actual AndroidTV devices hit the shelves and the Amazon/Best Buy and forum-based user reviews appear.

It seems the best thing to do for now is to wait.

5. FA1321

FA1321 New Member

I programmed my 650 and now everything is working I just use the revue old model number D0001 I think. Can't use my phone but the 650 is a great remote so I am pleased! Thanks for the input!

6. Xenrid

Xenrid New Member

I think ASUS would beg to differ. ASUS Cube has an IR sensor on the front and The Quick Start Guide even indicates that the remote sends IR signals to it. The remote clearly has an IR transmitter window as well though I imagine it uses some form of radio transmission for features like the touch pad and microphone.

7. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Member

I have a Roku 3 and I do not think it supports IR. The Roku remote need to pair with the Roku box and I think it's being done via bluetooth.

Same as my LG Smart TV which need to pair with the remote as well.

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have a Roku 3 and it supports IR although the supplied remote is Bluetooth. The Harmony data base has an IR code for the Roku 3. I am using the Harmony 890 to control a Roku 3 and a Harmony One to control a Roku 2 XS and a Harmony 900 to control a Roku LT. I would have to check to be certain but I believe the provided remote for the Roku 2 XS is RF.

9. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Member

Thanks for the clarification @ChrisG8

10. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Fair point, but the ASUS Cube was one of the worst GTV boxes ever produced.

Rather a shame that the new wave of devices that came after the Vizio CoStar were worse. How did they pull that off? It's mind boggling.