Quantcast

not showing up in market

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by achtung515, Oct 31, 2011.

1. achtung515

achtung515 New Member

MY googel tv isnt showing up under my devices in the android market. Anyone else having this issue?

2. Trini718

Trini718 Member

I saw on another post somebody is having the same prob.

3. rajesh78

rajesh78 New Member

same problem here...cannot add a device when logged in market from my GTV. may be it works after the update for me.

4. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

Wondering if this has changed for you..? You were one of the ones who has already received the update..

5. jagan_indian9

jagan_indian9 Member

Yes, same on my Sony Bluray player. I asked thia in the other GTV team thread.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Epic Touch using Tapatalk.

6. achtung515

achtung515 New Member

yeah - i do have the update, but still not showing in market.

7. frmorrison

frmorrison New Member

Does it matter if the device is in your Market profile? If you can download TV apps from the Market, isn't that good enough?
    Assuming you get the apk file, you can sideload apps that aren't showing up in the Market list.

8. achtung515

achtung515 New Member

The app i am wanting doesnt show up in the market application. i dont know how to download it any other way.

• Like Like x 2
  9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You have to sideload it.

Btw, I used the File Expert instead of Blackwater File Manger shown in the video.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  10. chucktownriver

chucktownriver New Member

Can you sideload the slingbox app?

11. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Can sideloading apps onto GTV be done without the aid of a computer? I watched the video and there was a step there at the beginning where he mentioned that he used his computer to get the apps loaded onto dropbox in Chrome (or something like that). I'm just wondering because I don't have a computer.

12. mclout99

mclout99 New Member

You can not side load any apps. I downloaded a few APKs that i offen install on my phone and tab and they are seen as a zip archive and will not install even if you check the setting to alow non market app installs.

13. jagan_indian9

jagan_indian9 Member

I was able to install apks on my Sony Bluray

14. palms

palms New Member

I was also able to side load app. Most of them force closed right away but some have worked.

15. palms

palms New Member

Do you have an android phone? The first thing I did was use astro file manager (available in the market) to make a backup of dropbox. I then went to where it stores the backup and emailed that file to myself. Then I went to my google tv, logged in to my email and downloaded the dropbox file. Then any other app I wanted to try I would make the backup, then went to the backup folder and sent the file to dropbox. Of course you can skip the dropbox part all together and just email every file.

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, you can sideload apps without a computer. First thing I would do is login to the GTV Hacker's dropbox account via Chrome and download ES File Explorer. Then download File Expert from the current Android Market. This will allow you to then install the ES File Explorer APK from the downloads directory. Then add the GTV Hacker's dropbox account into ES File Explorer Dropbox plug-in. Now you can download and install the apps that have been copied to that account.

As far as download APKs via HTTP, I found that they're renamed to ZIP files which is why mclout99 is having problems. I downloaded the BASIC app that he mentioned a little while ago by simply renaming the file's extension back to APK and initiating the download from File Expert.

Because I'm under NDA with the Slingplayer for Google TV, the best I do for you is point you to the public sign up page for the beta. http://www.slingbox.com/get/sp-devices-signup

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  17. achtung515

achtung515 New Member

Good info - thanks!

18. mclout99

mclout99 New Member

thanks I figured it out early tonight and renamed any ZIP ext back to APK. Wonder why they are doing that. Same web sites on my phone and ASUS tab download and install automatic. Well I love that RFO Basic runs so nice on the Sony. Wonder how it will be on my revue? Anyone hazard a guess how much free space will be left on the revue after the update.

19. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It's not the websites that are renaming it. If you hover over the link, the extension in the url is appropriately listed as "*.apk" so there's something funky in the Google TV download process that's arbitrarily renaming it to "*.zip".

When hazarding a guess, I almost always pick "42" but this time I'm going to throw you "inches" as a unit of measurement. Good luck with that. :)

20. Scoot

Scoot New Member

Hi, everyone:

I've been reading posts here for some time, but never had reason to enter into the conversation until now. In short, I, too, am having issues with Android Market on my Google TV (a Sony 42," which I otherwise love). I'll try to be as brief as possible in describing the problem and what I've tried to do to fix it. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate any help you can give me (and perhaps many others who have this problem but haven't spoken up yet because they, too, are struggling with so-called fixes).

My wifi-connected television is not showing up in the Market, and even though I have the latest update, I can't download any apps from the Market app on the homepage screen. I do have an Android phone and have never had any trouble downloading apps on it from the Market (it is listed under "My Devices" on the website when I log in). On my Google Accounts page, under the dashboard settings, my Sony TV is listed as "Unknown TV", but it does not appear anywhere in the market library settings itself (this is kind of confusing, since there are different settings scattered over several different pages, if you follow me).

I have contacted Google about this problem, and although they have been very helpful, none of their solutions has worked and I haven't heard back from them in several days, since giving them permission to look into my account usage data. Let's just say I have spent many hours and days now rebooting, resetting, reconfiguring, reinstalling, deleting, changing passwords, changing accounts, changing verification levels, etc., etc., etc. but nothing works! I still can't download a single app from the Market app on my Sony TV, although all the apps already there do work. Whenever I click on "download," I get a message about how the app will be downloaded shortly--but I can wait for hours and it won't be.

I see that the discussion within this post has transformed into questions about sideloading, but that is not the issue, either. I have been able to sideload a few apps, some of which work fine, but I would naturally like to be able to download and update apps from the Market itself.

I have the feeling part or all of my problem might be because I can't seem to get the correct time and date settings to stick on my TV. Every time I've done a reboot or reset (or sometimes nothing at all), I get warnings that I must set my time correctly. For some reason, the TV keeps going back to 8:45 AM, October 16, 2011. Checking and unchecking the "set time via the internet" box never seems to work. Deleting my caches and other data never helps, either. I'm wondering if anyone else ever has this problem on their Sony device.

At this point, I'm about to give up because I'm afraid I'm going to end up wrecking this television set with all the turning on and off. But before I do give up, I'm hoping someone more tech-savvy than myself has an idea or two. Most likely, I've already tried whatever suggestions you out there might have to offer me, but you never know, right?

Thanks again and thanks, too, for a helpful and informative forum.