Quantcast

Nook tablet HD+ fire sale.. these are great...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Scuzzo, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

B and N is having a fire sale on these right now... they may be just a dual core.. but the screen is near, very near Ipad 3 retina display.. and they have aux storage.. there is a strong dev community with 3 different rom offerings and the google play store is now avail... so the issues that kept these from being a good deal are gone... ilike the form factor much more then 7 inch or 10.1 i got one to stave off the techno junky pangs untill the next nexus 7.. but im pretty sure this may fill the bill for any tablet need cept gaming and stuff... the browsers work great the screen is about the best avail next to the ipad 3.. i already have it networked into my google tv, Plex, and my Minix neo x5 android box... fantastic second screen solution... if you dont need quad core power these really are a steal but time is short.. sale ends on dads day.. reminds me of when hp touchpad soldout for 100 bucks.. or the revue sold for 100 bucks.. this tech goodness is rare.. jump!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  2. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Hey Scuzzo,I ordered the HD+ cause with all it offered it was a great deal.One thing I thought about was the Nooks android system.Are they running the latest Jelly Bean OS? Since the GS8 isn't going to have more under the hood than my GS7 I figured a little Nookie never hurt anyone!If the Nook isn't running the latest Android OS I might send it back unopened.Hope someone has some info on this!

3. dtaylor

dtaylor Member

It's running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
    If you're up to it, you can head over to the xda forums and install 4.2 Jelly Bean

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

4. overtimeman

Gosh D-Man I wouldn't know where to start.If and when I wonder if you would be willing to walk me thru this process as I have never even side loaded an app before.In other words I am technically challenged! I would hate to screw up and brick the thing.Do you think someone over in the forum would help? If you don't mind post a link to the forum and I'll go browse around! Thanks!

5. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

the best course of action is join xda forum and read up on the rooting procedures of the nook hd+. i root all my stuff i just like seeing what the development community has to offer... but you may not even need root . some folks just install a different app launcher... and with full access to google play store.. you may not even miss jellybean... but i would just see where your at after replacing the stock app launcher... that will do away with Barns stock skin. and may provide enough of true android feel that you may never need to root and install home brew roms.. just install use the google play store and look for the launcher called Nova Launcher... see how you like it.... and then head over to XDA forums.. check the barns and noble hd + forum..... lots of good instruction there.

6. dtaylor

dtaylor Member

I agree with Scuzzo. You may like the tablet fine as it is. If not, at least try installing a third party launcher from the play store like nova launcher. You'll can get a traditional android look and feel without rooting, flashing, or any of that. The xda forums are very helpful if you are still interested. Here is a link to a very good thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317500 although if you've never even side loaded an app, then I'm not sure how interested you'll be in the whole process. Investigate your different options anyways.

Sent from my Nook HD+ using Tapatalk 4 Beta

7. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

well that is about the most painless root i have ever done.. just down 2 files place one on the sd card place the other on the nook internal storage, boot to cwm.. bang... done... i was a bit iffy on the whole two core, and BN dumping these out... but once its on custom rom,,, these things thrive... lots of smart dev work and great help... plus if you go with sd roms... once you take the sd card out its back to stock... very happy with the nook tablet im not even sure i can go to a smaller form factor... but there is such a price war that sub 99 buck good quality tablets are just a month or two away... well anyway.... sale still continues.. if you want a fun well supported tablet that will run JB and all that other stuff sans camera.. this is about the best build going for 150 in a 9 inch size... real apple ipad killer... at cheap 7 inch prices... but it is a fire sale.. so dont expect bn to offer any offical updates..

8. overtimeman

Trying to install JB is way over my head,but did download the Nova app and it does look great.My local TV station app and the weather channel app is not compatible with my Nook but their mobile versions worked great through the browser so I bookmarked both and have them saved as widgets on the homepage.So news and weather is taken care of.Guess it will be trail and error from here on out as some apps aren't compatible.

9. overtimeman

Went ahead and ordered the small micro SD card from root my nook.com with Jelly Bean 4.2.2 already on it.Man it makes the regular Nook into a great tablet now.As different as day and night! It was just plug,download and play.GTV will benefit big time when our JB 4.2.2 arrives later this year.If any wants a value tablet better get it from barnes and noble while you can!