Quantcast

Noob questions on GoogleTV and DirecTV integration

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by chapel, Nov 28, 2011.

1. chapel

chapel New Member

I've seen that it 'works' with DirecTV but what does that entail?

Is it able to control my receiver and schedule recordings outside of the actual DVR box?
    My biggest issue with my DTV DVR is that it can only record 50 series total and the interface is clunky
    What exactly does the interface look like when using it to control the DTV DVR?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Google TV does not support Enhanced DVR / Advance Intergration for any DirecTV device, only select Dish Receivers support it. You'll have to use the standard IR Blaster built into the Google TV device to relay commands to your set-top box like the rest of us.

3. chapel

chapel New Member

I'm looking for maybe some screenshots to understand how it looks?

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It really isn't any big deal the Dish Options just integrate with the Google TV UI. Here are the ones I found using Google search for Images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. MStrawder

MStrawder New Member

Eferz is correct that it's not a huge improvement. This really is something I think should be a standard feature on any stb connected. The idea behind the search feature was to make finding content as simple as possible.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I agree this shouldn't be limited to just select Dish Network boxes. However, since the feature requires two-way IP communication, Google should publish the specifications for the protocol that way any manufacturer can take advantage of the interoperability. There are already many manufacturers that use some sort of IP communication to interface with their DVRs, like Tivo, Motorola, Scientific Atlanta, Moxie.