Quantcast

Noob question: Comcast / Xfinity android apps, do they work?

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by MrSinatra, Apr 2, 2014.

1. MrSinatra

MrSinatra New Member

hi all,

first post. :) I am considering getting the LG55GA6450 for ~$950. I know it now has jelly bean and no flash. so my question is can I DL the various Comcast Xfinity apps and watch ondemand HBO etc with them on/via the TV, just like I can on my jelly bean smart phone?

to be clear, i mean I want to use the google play store apps on / inside the TV, not a browser/website/chromecast/etc.

please let me know.

also, how accurate is this review:

LG 55GA6400 Review - 55-inch Google TV Cinema 3D 120Hz LED TV

?

I am concerned Madden (gaming) will look bad on it?

thx!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  2. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

i hear that LCDTVBUYINGGUIDE is a horrible site, so i dont trust it at all...others might.

officially, unless the developers of those apps created apps that are Google TV compatible, then technically it would work...

if those apps were not made for GTV or do not have GTV versions, then you MIGHT be able to side load, though its not guaranteed at all..

3. ericd

ericd Active Member

I've never noticed any juddering on my 6400 when playing games on the 360 or Xbox one. There is a lot of adjustments you can make to change the picture quality and de-juddering but once I set the picture to my personnel preference I've never had to change the settings when switching from live TV to gaming. The biggest fault I have with the picture is it doesn't automatically adjust the aspect ratio when viewing channels or apps that aren't in HD. Also, the standard picture settings are a bit on the dark side. I have to crank the backlight, contrast and brightness way up to get a good picture but once you find a setting that works for you, you should be good.

The 3'd portion of the TV works but is way over-rated. You can make a standard picture or channel appear in pseudo 3'd with just a click of the remote. You can also make adjustments to the 3'd (from standard to headache-inducing). After 30 minutes of using the feature, I was over the whole 3d craze. I only use it now if someone comes over and wants to see how it looks.

The remote is functional. It has all the buttons you need but finding those buttons can be quite the chore. All the main letters are easy to see and type but once you have to find the auxillary buttons (IE, >?"':;}{[]+-=)(*&^) that's when the fun really begins. The auxillary buttons are small and almost impossible to see with a reddish color that blends into the black background. When trying to type in a website address, the constant need to flip the remote back and forth between air-mouse and keyboard will drive you insane. With all that said, the voice-search built into the remote is a real life-saver.

The apps are where the TV really shines (if you have the ability to side-load). If you are unfamiliar or unable to side-load apps the LG isn't the TV for you. You'll have to really dig around for info to get most apps to work properly. For instance, HBO go works on the LG but only if you side-load an older version, the app also has an issue with the player controls sticking on-screen (you have to play with the volume controls to get the player controls to go away). The TV has a built in orientation mode or you can sideload one from the Playstore.

I'm not sure if the Comcast App works. My provider (TWC) intentionally blocks the TV from accessing their app.

I know it sounds like I hate the TV, but that'd be wrong. It's kind of like the old P.O.S. car you had when you were in High School. Once you learn how to deal with all the quirks of the TV you'll fall in love with it. It's definetly a set you're either going to absolutely love or absolutely hate. There will be no middle ground. My suggestion to you would be to check out the stores return policy beforehand and be prepared to return the TV if you don't immediately like it

4. MrSinatra

MrSinatra New Member

I'm confused, esp by your first sentence. did you mean to say the apps should work? or should not work?

I am hoping someone can tell me who has actually tried it?

5. MrSinatra

MrSinatra New Member

I only will use 3d for the occasional movie or game. as per the review, the game mode is supposed to cut down on input lag.

i'll prob also use usb mouse/kybd.

I have TWC in NYC and I can use the Comcast website np. I can use the app on my JB phone as well when its on TWC wifi.

what I want to know, is can you DL and install the Comcast app to the LG tv from the google play store, run it there, and watch stuff?

can u try again? besides, they are merging now, TWC and Comcast. thx.

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I have a Logitech Revue and most of the TV Shows from the Comcast Xfinity web site don't work with the GTV Chrome browser. Most of the programming either uilizes Flash 11 or Microsoft Silverlight (which GTV doesn't support). I don't have an LG GTV - but I know the GTV Jellybean update removes Flash from the browser and there's no Silverlight support.

7. MrSinatra

MrSinatra New Member

yeah, I kinda figured the website wouldn't work in the browser. that's why I'm asking about the app. I can get stuff to play on my JB phone, so I just want to know if the TV can do the same?

8. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

JB on GTV isnt a straight copy of JB for mobiles....although they are extremely similar they are not the exact same thing. as a result for an app to work on GTV it needs to be developed/tweeked to work on GTV and since JB for both GTV and mobile are so similar that is what allows the POSSIBILITY for you to download the APK for a mobile app and manually install it to the GTV and it MIGHT work.

if the developer did not update its app to support GTV then it MIGHT work if you manually install it, but if they did update/develop an app that is supported by GTV then you would find it in the play store in the TV...

9. ericd

ericd Active Member

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xfinity.playnow I can sideload this app but my TWC log-in doesn't work with ths service, so I can't verify if it will stream to the 6400. I can sideload the TWC app, log into the app, see the various menus but once I select "watch live TV", I get an error message stating the app doesn't support live video on my device. When I try the TWC app on either of my android TV dongles I get an error message stating the app doesn't support live playback on a device with an HDMI output. The TWC app does work with my Roku streaming stick and Galaxy Tab II provided I'm on my home wi-fi network. If I connect to a different network, I can only access 5 of the OTA channels through the app.

All these issues are intentional on TWC's part and not an issue with the GTV. It was working well until about 4 months ago when they put out a mandatory update to the app. I attempted to sideload an older version of the app but it automatically updates to the new, blocked version.

I realize you don't have TWC but if the merger does go through, Comcast may follow suit with TWC and block access to their live TV app. Without a valid Comcast log-in though, I can't tell if the xfinity app currently works or not.

You can also try sideloading most of the individual channels apps available on the Playstore(HBOgo, Showtime, Encore, TBS, TNT and etc) , although some of them may not work with your cable provider. I can log in to most of the individual channel apps but a few (TNT, TBS, Fox, Cartoon Network and a couple others I can't think of right now) aren't available for me because TWC doesn't have a streamming agreement with them. If you have both a Comcast and TWC login, I don't think this will be a problem for you though

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  10. MrSinatra

MrSinatra New Member

no, but some shows should be free to all, even without a login, although maybe that's only at the website?

but are you saying you could not download and run this app direct and normally from the google play store?

my main interest is in ondemand content, (HBO, Showtime) although a few channels are available live like FNC and ESPN.

I DO have TWC. they are my cable/internet/wifi provider in NYC.

I happen to have access to a Comcast login as well. it has premium content. I can use the Comcast login here in NYC on TWC internet. I can view Comcast on laptops over wifi or LAN, and on my Verizon JB phone via the android app, either on Verizons network or TWC wifi.

thx all for the help so far.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  11. ericd

ericd Active Member

It has to be sideloaded. There aren't any free channels on it without a login

12. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

A word of warning, even if the Comcast Xfinity apps can be side loaded and work with Google TV, that isn't a guarantee any of those apps will work for long. If Comcast doesn't want Google TV to access various services requiring Comcast Xfinity authentication, that will likely be the long term outcome. Comcast Xfinity doesn't support Roku, PS3 or Google TV for HBOGo, I have to use Chromecast or a PC.

Relying on a single smart TV platform for services will likely be very frustrating but I can say for my needs, Google TV in conjunction with a PC does cover everything I need. Using the PlayOn app and a PC with the PlayOn server on the network, the sites unaccessible by Google TV are accessible. PlayOn isn't a free solution however and since it requires a fairly powerful PC it is far from ideal for most but in light of the current situation with internet TV, Google TV plus a PC with PlayOn/Plex is the best solution for what I want.

I haven't checked to see if services other than HBOGo can be accessed through Google TV using PlayOn because there is nothing else I can get that I want. I have a Comcast Xfinity digital economy package plus HBO, basically a teaser package Comcast hopes will entice me to add more channels. All I wanted from Comcast was HBO so I am happy.

13. ChrisG8

I should have added I believe the chances the Comcast Xfinity apps can be side loaded to Google TV and work acceptably is approximately zero, so slim, I wouldn't bother to try.

14. ericd

ericd Active Member

I'm not sure about that. Before TWC updated their app, it worked perfectly (provided you're on your home network). I agree with you though that even if it does work, it probably won't for long, especially if the merger goes through

My Roku stick has the TWC app which has all the premium channels (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Movie Channel, Starz and even the new Epix channels) You will, of course, need the premium channels subscription and I'm not sure if the Roku app works when away from the home network. I just got the stick last week and haven't had a chance to try it away from home. The Roku TWC app isn't as snappy as the old Android TWC app but once you find what you want to watch, it streams it well.

Unfortunately, Roku doesn't have the Xfinity app. It does have HBO Go, Showtime and Epix (no Starz or TMC though)

Although there is an on-demand area within the TWC app for the premium content, it doesn't have all the on-demand shows avaiable. To get that content you have to install each of the available channel apps to your device.

15. ChrisG8

Unfortunately Comcast doesn't offer HBOGo on Roku or PS3 and as far as I know, none of the other premium channels requiring authentication will work with either but I only have HBO. I tried to authenticate HBOGo on the PS3, no go, and then a Roku, also no go, I already knew it wouldn't work on Google TV, my first choice. My solution, use by fourth and fifth choices, a PC and Chromecast.

http://www.hbogo.com/activate/#devices

Notice Comcast Xfinity isn't included and I have found no workaround for that issue. So even if the HBOGo app can be side loaded on Google TV I see no way to use it for HBOGo.

16. MrSinatra

MrSinatra New Member

the Comcast xfinity app, and hbogo, are two separate and distinct apps. I can watch hbo on either though, (Comcast recently started supporting hbogo) so my question is can I do so if the app is running on the googleTV? and I am more interested in the xfinity app than hbogo, although I'd like to try both.

its true that Comcast does not yet support all the devices that other providers do for hbogo. the hbogo website tells you who supports what devices btw.

I think I can handle sideloading an app. but what I worry about is once sideloaded and running, will it play? I would hope it wouldn't require flash or Silverlight, and that Comcast wouldn't block it. while it may very well block hbogo (or simply not support it yet) I would be surprised if they would purposely block their own app regardless of where it is or whose network its on. (as I said earlier, I can TWC wifi the Comcast app np)

17. ericd

ericd Active Member

HBO put out an update a couple months ago that broke the sideloaded app on my LG, I had to go back a couple versions to find one that worked and wouldn't automatically update. The Playstore version shows the current version as 2.4.03, the app that I use is 2.0.1. Don't worry about that though, if you get the TV we'll hook you up.

Of all the apps I've sideloaded I can only think of 3 (HBO, TWC and Hulu+) that didn't work after I installed them. (For a while the frequency app wasn't available on the LG, but that was fixed) Once I find a version of an app that works on my GTV I save it to my sideloaded Dropbox account. That way, if an update breaks the app I can install the previous version and have a working version ready to go. This method didn't work with the TWC app. They programmed the app so that it auto updates as soon as I start the older version (no matter how far I went back in the previous versions)
    Hulu + is just inexplicably blocked on GTV, if they don't want me as a customer... oh well, screw them.

Unlike the browser sites, which can have flash and Silverlight issues, all that is handled within the app. If the app works on your Android phone (running 4.2 or lower) and if (big "if") the content isn't blocked on GTV, any app that's sideloaded should work. There may be an occasional app that ,for whatever reason, simply won't work on a GTV but I've found this to be the case with almost any other Android device I've used

18. MrSinatra

MrSinatra New Member

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  19. ericd

ericd Active Member

Yeah, that's the one I tried. Here's the APK if somebody else wants to give it a shot

Unfortunately, the app doesn't work for me on the LG 6400. It sideloads, installs, opens, signs in, set parental controls, browses available live and on-demand channels but once you attempt to watch a title it begins to buffer, checks authoization then loads a 15 second ad. Halfway through the ad (which only plays audio) the app pops up a display box with an error code and the all to familiar "device not supported." It's not an issue with being out of region or TWC blocking me from accessing the Comcast content, the app works well on a mini-pc dongle.

Unlike TWC though, the app did work well on my android dongle. It's also been reported that a side-loaded version of the TWC app will work on the new Fire TV (so maybe the Comcast app will work on it)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  20. MrSinatra

MrSinatra New Member

thx, very interesting.

I wonder if like HBOgo an older ver of the xfinity app would not auto-update and then work?

can u link to the dongle? is it chromecast? do u need another device to transmit to the dongle?

EDIT: do u have 2 separate dongles? one mini pc, one android?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014