Quantcast

No Volume since upgrade to Cox HD today

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by Hal Kunnen, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Hal Kunnen

Hal Kunnen New Member

Upgraded to Cox HD today. Everything works fine except can't get any controller to raise the Volume no matter what we do. We get volume from Internet prompts/inputs, but never any TV volume. any advice is appreciated. Frustrated in Tempe AZ.

2. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Hi Hal, first I would like to welcome you to our forum.
    It's always nice to see fresh faces...
    As for the volume, I am not sure what kind of GTV you own.
    That would help matters for sure.
    You might want to add what platform you are using in your signature..
    I'm thinking something as easy as a reset of the box, since you said you just upgraded.
    Was it working before you got your upgrade?

The Google TV Forum Team

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hal Kunnen

Hal Kunnen New Member

Thanks for the welcome. My wife signed me up after I gave up with the trouble shooting (postponed).

We have a Sony Google TV (GTV) model NSX-40GT1. I started with an old Cox cable box with out HDMI connections. My Sony DVD RDR- VX560 has HDMI so it still is connected by the first HDMI cable to HDMI1 on the TV. I upgraded the Cox HD box and bought another HDMI cable which connects between HDMI2 on the Sony GTV and the Cox box. I did not get any sound from either HDMI1 or HDMI2 connections so I reinstalled audio and video RCA cables between the Cox box and the DVD player.
    With this final configuration, I'm getting almost acceptable sound from HDMI1 with the DVD player as it passes on the Cox signal and no sound from HDMI2 (new cable) which connects to the Cox box. Video comes through loud and clear (well clear anyway).

I will try switching HDMI cables and ports but then it looks like I must use Google setup to de-install and install the devices. Where do I go to get some details on the Google operating system so I can check out the rest of the Sony input ports? There are 4 HDMI and 4 USB and some RCA output ports.

Since we do not have a surround sound system we just use the TV speakers. I'm connecting headsets too but would like to tap off the audio for the headset without muting the TV's speakers. The RCA audio jacks on the back of the TV do not seem to work for the headset only the headset jack works (but then the TV speakers are disconnected) Have you tried reaching behind the TV to connect the headset jack?

Anyway, thanks to my wife I'm on the forum now and admit the need for help.:eek:

4. sparkyscott21

Here you go, I hope this will help out in your problems..
    Usually, they are smaller problems as they first appear.. Maybe as easy as a soft reset... But try this out,
    If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away..
    Sony eSupport - NSX-40GT1 - Model Home

• Like Like x 2
  5. Hal Kunnen

Hal Kunnen New Member

Thanks. I'll read front to back (then reverse) and then go at it when I'm fresh. Already, I'm seeing where I may have mixed in and outs. I see that the HDMI connections don't have that problem.

6. Hal Kunnen

Hal Kunnen New Member

The sound is back.

It turned out that the Cox Cable box has a setup that sets either HDMI, 2 channel audio or Dolby sound as the audio out. The sound came through the HDMI cable once the HDMI audio was selected. When the cable box HDMI is selected the RCA stereo audio goes inactive. I've become very familiar with both Google TV setup and Cox Cable setup in the process and verified both HDMI cables were not the problem. Operator/installer error.

It has also become apparent that our 20 year old audio system needs an upgrade if we're going to use the only two audio outputs from the Sony TV. There is one headphone jack which is poorly located behind the TV and one optical audio output (which I've no experience with). Does the optical connection deliver similar digital audio information as the HDMI digital audio? I'm sure our 20 year old receiver/amplifier doesn't have a digital bone in its body (Kenwood KR930B).

It seems that the Sony TV acts as a hub for all the Audio and Visual inputs but is not designed for audio and video output, or am I missing something. Can some of the HDMI ports on the Sony TV also be used to feed audio data to an audio amp/surround sound system or maybe a second TV?

Any suggestions for a inexpensive audio interface and speaker system? Would our 20 year old Bose active equalizer speaker system be of any value? I'm guessing, now, that the digital age has replaced all the analog components except for the magnetic coils, big wooden box and speaker diaphragms of our two Bose speakers.

7. sparkyscott21

Yes the optical connecter is very high quality sound, as is the hdmi, which also uses digital and audio on same wire,
    the optical is only audio.
    While I do not own a Sony, hdmi usually takes over the sound when using it with rca plugs.
    Yes you can use newer stereo receivers to pass thru with the sound.
    There are also audio switches you can put in line.