Quantcast

No TV Signal Through NSZ-GT1 Sometimes?

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by popeye123, Jan 24, 2012.

1. popeye123

popeye123 New Member

Weird. Most of the times I turn on the TV I get no TV signal. I have Tivo for my cable box and Nsz-GT1 and Denon receiver and Sony TV. All connected through HDMI. Started up fine for months. When all is on I do get Google TV menu on TV and then get pop up box saying TV not responding to wait or shut down. I usually pull the plug on NSZ-GT1 and Tivo and it comes on. The only thing different have done for quite sometime is change the HDMI cables. ANy ideas on what is going on? Almost missed the beginning of the football games.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That's indicative of a loss in the High Definition Content Protection (HDCP) handshake. You should be able to press [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Del] to reinitialize the handshaking process. Basically, what's happening is one of your devices in the chain has decided to stop participating in the encryption algorithms and the set-top box marked the entire chain as compromised and cut off the signal to the HDMI output. This can be caused by a power saving routine, a flaky cable, or a bad HDMI port on any device in the chain. Usually what happens is that there just enough electricity running through the HDMI port to keep an active connection but not enough to participate with the HDCP protocol.

• Like Like x 2
  3. popeye123

popeye123 New Member

Thanks, interesting. Read that Tivo Premieres sometimes has HDMI ports that do not connect well. Should I change the HDMI cable to see if cable? I guess there is no way to know if it is the cable in or out?
    Just looking for trouble shooting tips to see where the problem might be? I gather that I will have to do the crtl-alt-delete often unless I find the problem?

Thanks again.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, that would be the logical thing to do. If you also have different HDMI equipment you can try that too.

Only if you have an HDMI port analyzer.

That's a funny question. I'm not sure how to answer it. It's kind of like it was meant to be two complete sentences but not.

Yep.

5. popeye123

popeye123 New Member

Thanks.

6. Shink

Shink New Member

This happens to me on occasion as well - ctl + alt + backspace does the trick.

7. popeye123

popeye123 New Member

Thanks-just curious if you use Tivo?

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I do, but mine is connected with my Logitech Revue. And I've never seen that happen. Ever.

9. popeye123

popeye123 New Member

That was quick.TY

10. Shink

Shink New Member

I do not - DirecTV PVR.

11. Dawson

Dawson New Member

I just got a gt1 and am having similar problems. Basicly I have found that the signal gets through fine if I turn the gt1 of and then back on in a short amount of time however when I turn it off at night, the next morning I can not get it to connect (hdmi). sometimes the sound will come on after a few minutes or off/on cycles of the gt1, then later suddenly the video will start as well but it is very unpredictable.

My connection string is, brighthouse cisco dvr - Sony GT1 - onkyo av receiver - LG tv and I have set googletv to the sleep mode so it resumes quickly however it seems that if it is turned "off" or put to sleep for a long period of time the hdmi signal doesn't resume properly when it wakes up. The above mention ctrl/alt/delete button press seems to get it going again but it almost seems like it did a partial reboot of the box when I did that?

AT the end of the day I'm pretty sure almost all these weird hdmi problems are due to the copy protection handshake required to use hdmi...so thanks hollywood for ruining what could have been a great way to connect devices.