Quantcast

No sound on HDMI out?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by dgrant, Nov 4, 2011.

1. dgrant

dgrant New Member

Can anyone confirm whether or not there is sound on the HDMI out? I don't have a set-top box or anything else plugged into the HDMI input, but there doesn't seem to be any sound on the HDMI output. Some reports on the internet indicate that I have to use the optical digital audio output for audio. I can't do that, however, as I don't have digital optical lines running through my walls. I do have some coax so I might by an optical->coax converter.

Anyone know if this is fixed in GoogleTV 2.0?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, there sounds on the HDMI output. You may have miscomprehended the actual issue. This particular audio issue is the result of the Revue not bit streaming the HDMI audio from the HDMI input. The Revue will decode the audio signal to allow the Google TV sound effects to be injected into the stream. However, the output is encoded as a 7.1 multichannel LPCM regardless of the originating signal. If the set-top box outputs stereo audio then the Revue will map the channels respectively within the confines of the 7.1 sound stage . Unfortunately, most receivers cannot perform post processing to fill the other speakers because the remaining channels are present but silent.

The workaround in this situation is to use an optical audio cable and set the Optical Audio Output to PCM. The audio signal will then be encoded into a two channel LPCM stream which would allow the AV Receiver to employ Dolby Pro-Logic or other DSP effects. However, in order to appreciate the full sound capacity when the set-top box is actually streaming a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal, one is required to manually switch back to HDMI audio or switch the Optical Audio Output from PCM to Dolby Digital

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  3. dgrant

dgrant New Member

Sorry I think you misunderstood my post. I said "I don't have a set-top box or anything else plugged into the HDMI input" so talk of the Revue "bit streaming the HDMI audio from the HDMI input" and "decoding the audio signal" and "If the set-top box outputs stereo audio" is not relevant to my setup.

My HDMI out is going to a YSP-5100 sound bar that I'm sure can handle whatever is thrown at it via HDMI. It works fine with a Blu-Ray player but with the Revue I get no sound.

My configuration is

Blu-Ray -> HDMI -> YSP-5100 -> HDMI -> TV
    Revue -> HDMI -> YSP-5100 -> HDMI -> TV

TV does ARC (audio-return channel to YSP-5100).

It's possible I have something misconfigured on my YSP-5100, but there isn't much to play with in the settings. I didn't have to do any setup for the Blu-Ray player.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I take it your Soundbar support multiple inputs. Is is properly toggled to the the appropriate input to play the audio from the Revue? Or have you tried switching the inputs between the Blu-Ray player and Revue, it could also be a bad HDMI port.

5. dgrant

dgrant New Member

I tried two different inputs on the sound bar and both didn't work. I had the Blu-Ray player turned on with audio while I was doing, and when switching over from HDMI1 (Blu-Ray) to HDMI2 (Revue), I lost the audio from the Blu-Ray. I think tonight I will try to enable wireless internet on the Revue, then bring it over to where the TV is and plug it in directly to the TV, or directly to the sound bar using a short HDMI cable.

6. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

are u currently connecting Revue to soundbar via very a Long HDMI cable? If so, this could be the issue!

Good luck!

7. dgrant

dgrant New Member

Ok, here's the deal. I have 3 HDMI 1.4 cables running through the walls, they are very long probably 35 feet. They all work great with the Blu-Ray player. I tried one Blu-Ray that I am pretty sure is 1080i and another that I am pretty sure is 1080p. They both work great.

I tried the same three cables with the Revue and they all work except NO audio.

I then tried to connect the Revue directly to the sound bar with a short HDMI cable (the one that came with the Revue in fact) and it worked WITH audio this time!

Conclusion: the Revue's HDMI out sucks and can't put out enough juice to make it 35ft??? I dunno, I'm no HDMI expert, this is a new home theatre setup for me and my first foray into HDMI.

8. dgrant

dgrant New Member

I wonder if it's possible to put the signal from the Logitech Revue through some kind of booster?

9. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

i didn't try any HDMI Boosters or HDMI extenders (they could be problematic w/future firmwares), but u could look for HDMI- CAT5E/6 EXTENDERs, HDMI Coaxial EXTENDERs or even HDMI wireless EXTENDERs as will as HDMI Boosters, there are many new available options now, however you'll be SOL.

You could find a low price AVR on sale (no need for speakers) with HDMI inputs may handle long HDMI cable and that could be more reliable option (u can always return it if it doesn't work).

Btw, did u try to use optical cable for audio? (I'm not sure what ur setup is to comments on this option?)

Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  10. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

you maybe able to connect (35 feet) Optical digital audio cable to Revue optical out! (for about $10).

Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011