Quantcast

No sound after wake from standby

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by ncarl, Nov 2, 2011.

1. ncarl

ncarl New Member

Hi everyone,

I have my Sony Google TV box connected between a cable TV receiver and an AV receiver using HDMI cables. The system works great but whenever the Google TV box wakes from sleep, video works fine, but I get no audio. This applies to live TV, as well as all the apps. I have changed out all my cables and settings multiple times, but still can't figure this out. The box has to be physically unplugged from the power source, and then plugged back in before it will output any sound.

All help and suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers,
    Carl

2. gtv_brown

gtv_brown New Member

Hi Carl,

Are you on the new v2 version of Google TV? (The update started going out on Sunday). Let me know, thanks!

-Rex

3. ncarl

ncarl New Member

Rex,

Yes, I woke up Monday morning to discover that it had updated itself.

The sound problem happened occasionally before the update, but it seems worse now since Monday morning.

Cheers,
    Carl

4. gtv_brown

gtv_brown New Member

Hi Carl,

Does rebooting your device solve the issue? Thanks in advance.

-Matt

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

This is indicative of the loss in the High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) handshake. HDCP is the protocol running over HDMI which tries to prevent unauthorized devices to access digital content. If the HDCP handshake isn't present from the source device to the television then the source device will disrupt the signal.

You should be able indentify the symptom by re-initiating the handshake by replugging the HDMI cables or resetting it with the [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Del]. As discussed earlier, try using other cables as it is usually the culprit. If that doesn't work use a process of elimination to see if its a problem with the Google TV or one of your other AV components connected through the HDMI chain.

6. ncarl

ncarl New Member

Matt,

Simply rebooting doesn't help. I physically have to remove the power source, and then power it back up...like a hard reboot. Even that doesn't work every time.

I'm wondering now if it's my HDMI cables. I'm no cable expert, but I'm discovering from the web that there are different HDMI cable types, and maybe my cables are the wrong type? Are there any recommended HDMI cable types for the Sony Google TV, that don't cost hundreds of dollars? I have a theory that the wrong type of HDMI cables could be locking up the sound in the Google TV...but I could be wrong.

My setup is Brighthouse Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD Cable Receiver --> HDMI --> Google TV --> HDMI --> Yamaha RX-V471 AV Receiver --> HDMI --> TV

Cheers,
    Carl

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I only use BJC Belden Series-FE HDMI Cables which are inexpensive yet very high quality cables made in the USA. You can get them from HDMI Cable from Blue Jeans Cable