Quantcast

No portrait mode

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by xkwwwx, Dec 11, 2011.

1. xkwwwx

xkwwwx New Member

Any apps that force portrait mode will not work in 3.1. Most tablet versions are working for me. However the API does seem to trick many apps into thinking that the system is running portrait.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yep. That's my findings are well.

3. twiz

twiz New Member

Some of the portrait mode errors are non-fatal. If you hit the back ARROW instead of OK, it backs out of the message. If it's non-fatal, the app then works. This happens with TED Air. But if you click OK or hit enter when you get the message, then it exits the app instead.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Orientation Control app can also be used to prevent this issue on Google TV.

• Like Like x 2
  5. twiz

twiz New Member

That's good to know... I assume you've sideloaded this app, since it's listed as incompatible? Also, does it just prevent this message, or does it allow apps to display in landscape mode? The Marvel Comic app, while not giving a portrait mode error, is obviously displaying the pages IN portrait, which makes them quite narrow and hard to read. I'm wondering if this app would fool Marvel into landscape display.

6. twiz

twiz New Member

I've answered my own question by trying Orientation Control. This app will ONLY suppress the "portrait mode" error, and will not improve functionality of any apps which actually NEED landscape mode. Cycling through the Landscape, Auto-Rotate, and Reverse Landscape modes made little difference.

This is important to note, since this is a paid, unsupported application ($1.49) that must be sideloaded. I sideloaded Orientation Mode, and then reinstalled several programs throwing the "portrait mode" error. It will indeed prevent the error from appearing, but apps like VLC Stream & Convert and the various comic apps by comiXology will not work any better. VLC Stream & Convert still reports that you must change orientation to landscape to access the menu (without which, this application is useless). Marvel Comics still displays comics in narrow portrait mode that is pretty much unreadable.

So, if you'd like to pay $1.49 to only suppress this error and you're confident that your app will work fine otherwise, then this is a good bet. Otherwise, we need to find a more effective solution.

7. donc13

donc13 Member

I tried this and if fixed my problem using epixhd.com I set oriention to only do landscape and now the site works fine. Prior to installing orientation control, the site seemed to work up to where it was to play a movie, it would freeze. The movie never started. Afterwards, works fine. The android app for Epix no longer gives the portrait mode issue, but movies don't play. Chrome going to www .epixhd. com DOES now work. So well worth the $1.49

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

8. halox

halox New Member

So, just because I'm a dummy ... Once I have Orientation Control installed, the correct setting is "LANDSCAPE" to suppress portrait errors? Yes?

• Like Like x 2
  9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

No, you're not a dummy but yes "Landscape" is the appropriate setting to suppress the non-fatal orientation errors. It is not a "fix all" solution but it works with most apps that are at least resource compatible with Google TV. The best solution is always to contact the developer and make sure they understand you would like a Google TV optimized version of the app. This will increase the likelihood for them to invest their resources in creating one.

• Like Like x 2