Quantcast

No picture AFTER the sony splash screen

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by pmajor, Nov 4, 2012.

1. pmajor

pmajor New Member

Hi,

I've just bought this box.

I haven't been able to get it working, so I've unplugged everything and plugged everything in in the most simple way possible.

HDMI from my LG LCD TV (32LC2D) to the in on the sony box.

When I turn on the box, I see the sony splash screen for a couple of seconds. Then the TV screen goes green momentarily. Then the TV screen displays "no signal".

Because I can see the splash screen, it must mean the connection is OK.

What could possible be the issue?

Thanks for any help.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Try switching your HDMI cable to the "HDMI OUT" port of your Sony GTV box.

3. pmajor

pmajor New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't try another cable before.

I've just swapped it out with another one and... it did the same thing.

Weird thing is that I've been using a Samsung Blu-Ray player with this TV and it works fine.

4. CatfishRivers

Do you have your HDMI cable connected to the HDMI Out port on your Sony GTV box? For example on the back of my Revue there are 2 HDMI ports. My HDMI cable is connected to the Revue port marked "HDMI OUT" (I don't have a cable box so I don't use the port marked "HDMI IN")

Next thing can you try connecting to a different HDMI port on your TV?

If still not working - can you try connecting your Sony GTV box to a different TV?

What is the resolution of your TV?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  5. pmajor

pmajor New Member

Well, it's definitely plugged into the right port on the sony box - i see the splash screen, like I said.

unfortunately the TV only has one hdmi port. It's kinda an old LCD TV (circa 2006). It's only 720p too.

I wanted to hold off buying a new tv for a while - was hoping that eventually a manufacturer will release a tv with integrated google tv here in the uk.

6. CatfishRivers

There are several resolutions that TV manufactures use and they are all classified as 720P. For example my Vizio 720P has a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels. Then there is 1280 x 720, and also 1024 x 768. It's possible that since you have an older TV it might have a resolution "close" to 720P - but it might not be "true" 720P - and this could possibly be causing an incompatibility issue with your Sony GTV box. Your TV user manual should list the exact resolution in pixels.

1) So to be sure if this is an issue just with your particular TV - you will really need to test your Sony GTV box on another TV. Can you take your GTV box to a friend or relative and test it there?

2) The other thing you could try is returning your Sony GTV box for another unit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My hunch is that since your TV is an older TV it has the 1024 x 768 resolution. In actuality this is not "true HD" - because it is in a 4:3 aspect ratio that is stretched to 16:9 ratio. True HD has a 16:9 aspect ratio. If we are talking about a 720P HDTV signal, you have a vertical resolution of 720 pixels and an aspect ratio of 16:9.

Knowing those two numbers, you can easily figure out what the horizontal resolution must be using a simple mathematical formula.

720 multiplied by 16 and then divided by 9 equals...1280.

So, the horizontal resolution of a 720P HDTV signal in a 16:9 ratio must be 1280.

1024 x 768 in an aspect ratio of 16:9 is not HDTV (in the true sense).

Remember, HDTV must be in a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Here's a link to a thread that I came across that discusses this a bit:

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/298362-LCD-720p-1024x768-or-1366x768

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  7. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

8. howpilot

howpilot New Member

Lets get the Sonys working by themselves first. I've been fighting with this thing for a week. Here my 2 cents. Forget about the Sony controlling your TV through the HDMI until you get some practice. And forget about ever ever teaching your wife anything about it. SORRRRRY LADIES.. Put the HDMI into the out to tv. Unplug for now whatever "source" that is using the HDMI on the TV. Get the sony to connect to your internet system. Take baby steps, see if you can use anything that comes preloaded. Mine had MotorTrend magazine. I was able to connect to MotorTrend and actually watch something. However if you have anything else running on your wireless network, shut it down. If your bandwidth is slow or your other computers are over in the corner downloading and uploading or kids surfing it WILL NOT WORK. It will hang and stutter untill want to smash it. Now try and surf the internet using google crome which is supplied. Also I was able to watch free movies using the included CRACKLE. Of course the movies stop every now and then and show you a commercial (thats why its free).
    The thing that works best is to use the included media player to view something that you have already downloaded and saved on a USB stick. However you can also buy a full blown computer for 300 bucks and watch your downloads through the HDMI out on any laptop made within the last 24 months. I was also able to "download from the internet" I chose to practice with an episode of Modern Family" sure enough it was downloaded and saved. I can find the file easily. No gosh darn how to actually watch the show is still beyond my knowledge.

Sony's included guide is very very vague. Com on Sony, plain simple, tell us what to do to get it working. Create a step by step on YouTube. Friendly name? Servers? DNLP? If you actually understand what they are talking about you probably never needed a guide in the first place. I'm real glad I bought it at Costco. I can stumble and fumble for about 6 months and then give up altogether and get my money back.

Can you tell I'm kinda pissed!!!!!!!

9. loos3id

loos3id New Member

Had the same problem. I think it's an HDMI handshake issue. To fix itI plugged the HDMI cable into a new HDMI pt on my TV. And now I always turn on my TV and receiver before my google tv box. I also changed the advanced HDMI seeing to Mode 2, turned off the Control for HDMI settng and Unit auto power off setting... In the Unit Settingsmenu. Also I set the resolution to 1080p instead of Auto and 24Hz to Auto in the Picture settings. But I think the only thing that matters is turning on the TV and receiver first. My problems since.

10. sudeep

sudeep New Member

I have the exact same problem as the OP. In my case, the TV is the 4-5 year old Samsung Series 5 50 inch Plasma. I've been trying to make it work somehow and been trying and trying a lot of things, but no luck. The sony box is directly connected to my TV and when I turn them on, I see the Sony start up logo for couple of seconds, and then a blank screen, followed by "searching for signal"... and then finally "no signal". I've tried all different settings and combination but no luck so far. It works fine with my LG 23 inch LED monitor, but not my Samsung TV. I'm so desperate to get this working, I've tried few things that has worked for other people. Tried different HDMI cables, tried with a second box, also tried adding a HDMI switcher in the loop because I read somewhere it worked for one guy. Anyway, CatfishRivers's post makes sense. Because my TV is an older model, it might not be a true 720p, although it says it supports all 720p, 1080i and 1080p. But the problem now is, how to fix it? My current workaround is using a HDMI to Component converter to convert it to component signal. It works, but not as good as HDMI. You can't go back to analog after getting used to HDMI.

Any suggestions guys?

11. CatfishRivers

If you are using a router try rebooting your router. Also as a troubleshooting measure - try removing your router from your set-up and connecting directly to modem.

I've read that some users of the Vizio Co-Star that periodically got a black screen and other buggy issues - were able to improve their performance by switching to HDMI cables that support HDMI 1.4.

Unfortunately I have read about this same issue before - and Sony support ended up telling the GTV users that it wasn't Sony's fault because their television didn't support "true 720P".

Have you tried calling Sony support?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  12. sudeep

sudeep New Member

Yes, forgot to mention that. I did call Sony, and their response was somewhat similar. The guy did not even have a proper knowledge about the product. I told him about getting the startup splash screen with the Sony logo and then nothing, and his response was he does not get any splash logo on his box. I don't know what box he was trying it on, but it got really frustrating trying to explain him the issue as, as soon as I told him it works on my LG monitor but not on my TV, he was like, if it works on another monitor, it's not the Sony box's fault, but my TV's. And told me to contact Samsung. Now how is it an issue with my TV if everything else (my Samsung BR player and Xbox 360) works just fine with those HDMI ports. Now if I call Samsung, I am pretty sure they will be saying the same thing. It's so frustrating.

Anyway, I haven't tried the HDMI 1.4 solution, not sure the if the cables that I got are 1.4. I will see if I can get a new, good one tomorrow and will give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

13. mndwgz

mndwgz New Member

Trying to sort this thing out for Wifeys kitchen TV, new cheapo Westinghouse 32" 720 LED will not handshake, I saw the Sony screen, heard the start-up sound, stuck at the black screen... Went over to the LG 1080 plasma plugged it in, all good, went through the wizard, cleared the auto outputs and set to 720. Back to the kitchen TV, no go after the Sony screen. Guest room to a year old Hitachi 40" 1080 LCD, no problem. It looks like Wifey gets a TV upgrade in the kitchen. Sony help guy wasn't much help, said to send it in.

I'll update if I get the Westinghouse EW32S3PW to work.

Now to find an app to get it to share with the other PC's and storage in the house.