Quantcast

No New GTV Hardware Yet

Discussion in 'More News from Your Google TV News Team' started by Rickaren, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Google TV Hardware Makeover Would Nicely Complement Software Upgrade

Oct 29, 2011

Google TV hardware needs a makeover as equally dramatic as the software upgrade it is set to get next week.

[​IMG]The Internet search leader plans to announce new devices from multiple hardware partners in the coming months, but it has so far been mum on the details. A good start: Ditch the keyboards that come with today's Google TV devices.

Upcoming Google TV devices may very well abandon physical keyboards in favor of touchscreen remotes. Some may even add voice input. Android-based smartphones and tablets will likely double as Google TV remotes as well.
    Such changes would be welcome for a product offering that debuted a year ago but hasn't exactly taken the world by storm.

If you're unfamiliar with today's Google TV hardware lineup, here's the slim roster of players.

The Logitech Revue set-top box comes with a full-size keyboard, while the Sony Internet TV includes a handheld QWERTY keypad with far too many mini-buttons for a supposedly user-friendly device.
    Seeing demos of these products months ago, one question was whether a physical keyboard, large or small, was compatible with the standard TV-viewing experience. The Logitech keyboard seemed too big, bulky, and awkward for sofa use. And the Sony keypad was too tiny and complex.

For users interested in browsing the Web on a big screen HDTV in the living room, there had to be an easier way. Few people want to use a full-size keyboard while watching TV. In fact, consumers have largely ignored the Logitech Revue, which has received mediocre to poor reviews.[​IMG]
    Media streamers that have been successful to date, particularly Apple TV and Roku's lineup of inexpensive set-top boxes, have barebones remotes. Granted, neither is as ambitious as Google TV, which provides access to more Internet content, but the simplicity of Apple TV and Roku is part of their charm. Each offers access to limited quantities of online entertainment, including Netflix, but neither brings the full Web to your HDTV.

Interestingly, the rumored Apple HDTV set may run a version of Siri, Apple's voice-control software that recently debuted on the iPhone 4S, according to some reports.

Google has already taken a wise first step by overhauling the software for its TV offering.

As PCWorld reported Friday, the dramatic Google TV makeover adds support for Android apps optimized for HDTV sets, as well as a redesigned interface that's easier to navigate.

Now it’s time to address the hardware.

SOURCE

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The author of the article is just another uninformed 'talking head' - stating incorrect facts based on his own personal opinion and preferences.

He wrote: "Few people want to use a full-size keyboard while watching TV. In fact, consumers have largely ignored the Logitech Revue, which has received mediocre to poor reviews"

Ummm excuse me but I just checked Amazon and the Logitech Revue is CURRENTLY THE NUMBER ONE SELLING DIGITAL DEVICE - AHEAD OF BOTH ROKU AND APPLE TV. (And the last I checked the Revue was still working great with the great keyboard that it comes with).

Yep no one wants to use a keyboard - that's why the Revue is currently number one ahead of Apple TV and Roku: Here's the link for the Revue on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Companion-Google-Keyboard-Controller/dp/B0040QE98O

This proves that the problem with the REVUE was NOT the keyboard. The problem was that at $299 it was overpriced. If you want a ROKU than buy a ROKU. Google TV is not intended to be a ROKU.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  3. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

I welcome the keyboard as well. I use my Droid X and my iPad with the link to watch TV but when I go to use the Revue a Keyboard is a must. I cant imagine using the Sony remote full time

4. Rickaren

I am sure that my Wife would not watch TV using a keyboard, so she only uses our programmed Harmony One Remote on our two system satellite system, Home Theater. If I can add GTV to this remote (I have not attempted this yet) that may become fully functional with this new update, she may. I have no real issue with it, but it does remind me of using the old WebTV one. Simple is better for the masses, and at present an inexpensive hand-held remote control should become standard with any future hardware replacement for our original units.

The main reason I believe there has not been an announcement of any NEW GTV hardware, is that no manufacturer is willing to invest into Google TV set top boxes, until this new 2.0 upgrade has a proven track record, and that there is profit to be generated with demand. May already have a prototype constructed, but will hold it back till these types of questions are answered.

Could be around next Christmas of 2012 before a release and that all present owners of the original stand-alone boxes may want to up-grade to?

PS: Towboy123

I have my OBX sweatshirt on today! We loved our ocean front home rental stay in Naggs Head last year! What a great vacation.....

5. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

I'm Work in Corolla installing AV waiting for GTV to be usable to the masses. Maybe 2.0 will fix enough that you can stay in a house with GTV next year

6. Rickaren

We went to Corolla too! All the houses rented from Carolina Designs Realty are suppose to be equipped with Internet hook-up and when I tried to use my laptop, I could not. Did get a wireless hookup from someone else around that house free. Repairman came out but could not find any Internet either. Finally they found that the owner had never installed it, per their contract! The day before we left got a call so they could install it! Told them they could wait! House was three stories and even had a heated pool and outside pool/game room, walk directly out to the beach and a fantastic view. Our last few vacations were "Pet Friendly Only" and our dog (40 pound Korean Jindo) loved it also. When we stayed in Richmound VA, got some strange looks leaving our hotel room with a large dog. Make any vacation more enjoyable taking your family pet along.

Since I do alot "On-Line" I might have asked for an adjustment on the large rental bill for only one week, that could have purchased a good used car, if I had not been able to use the Internet. One of our most enjoyable vacations ever. You are very lucky to live there in the Summer. Enjoy..